Author Topic: Still no DTS thru HDMI on WDTV Live (or maybe it does??)  (Read 8089 times)

October 17, 2009, 08:55:17 AM
Read 8089 times

ikeny

Configuration 1 (one that I prefer):
WDTV-L (digital audio) -> TV (HDMI),  then  TV (optical output) ->  5.1 sound system

Symptoms:
Sound working with playing .mkv files with AAC audio
No sound when playing .mkv with DTS audio

mkv media info: DTS, 6 channels, sample rate 48000 Hz, Bitrate 1536 kb/s

Alternative Configuration:
WDTV-L (HDMI to TV, optical to sound system)
Then audio works on all files
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:48:12 AM by jayallan »

October 17, 2009, 09:01:00 AM
Reply #1

savant

I'm pretty sure if you want DTS over HDMI you've got to be set to "Stereo". Let me know...

October 17, 2009, 10:29:14 AM
Reply #2

Dion

Configuration 1 (one that I prefer):
WDTV-L (digital audio) -> TV (HDMI),  then  TV (optical output) ->  5.1 sound system

Symptoms:
Sound working with playing .mkv files with AAC audio
No sound when playing .mkv with DTS audio

mkv media info: DTS, 6 channels, sample rate 48000 Hz, Bitrate 1536 kb/s

Alternative Configuration:
WDTV-L (HDMI to TV, optical to sound system)
Then audio works on all files

Your TV will not decode and downmix DTS.  Run the HDMI to your 5.1 system.  If your 5.1 doesn't have HDMI.  Use Optical.

October 17, 2009, 11:24:07 AM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Yes,

The problem is obviously with your TV.  Has nothing to do with Stereo setting as posted above either.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 18, 2009, 02:55:31 AM
Reply #4

mrg

DTS over HDMI is working fine, it actually worked fine on the old WDTV.  The new one supports True HD as well.

October 18, 2009, 11:47:29 AM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
DTS over HDMI is working fine, it actually worked fine on the old WDTV.  The new one supports True HD as well.

Can you personally confirm the True HD and DTS MA?  I had heard that it works, but not yet directly from someone who has that setup.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 18, 2009, 12:16:09 PM
Reply #6

wiiBox

I actually never got wdtv1 to do this.  I think mrg might be misstaken about wdtv1, but Live can do it, no problem on my config: 

wdtv2 > {hdmi} > TV (samsung 550 series, 09) > {toslink} > Amp (Old 6.1 Marantz).

Unfortunately my amp does not switch to DTS automatically, but it does for DD, but maybe that's because most of the time I have the amp set to Prologic II Movie mode for stereo upmixing.  To OP, make sure your amp doesn't need user input to switch to DTS decoding.  Also, I'm pretty sure dts bitstreaming only works when you set output to digital.  Setting audio out to stereo makes all output on Live stereo, with maybe the exception of the new HD codecs I've yet to try.

As far as I understand it, linsencing with DTS limits DTS HD to 5.1, or core downmix for all media players that are not bluray players.  But "True HD" is passed along fine.

October 18, 2009, 02:59:34 PM
Reply #7

mrg

My WDTV 1 passed DTS through the HDMI cable to my Denon AVR-790. No mistake.  ;D  The WDTV Live passes True-HD fine but only passes the DTS core of DTS-MA.

October 19, 2009, 09:04:26 AM
Reply #8

nube

• Personal Text
    avsforum junkie

Can you personally confirm the True HD and DTS MA?  I had heard that it works, but not yet directly from someone who has that setup.

Hey, just wanted to give you a heads up jayallan - the main AVS thread for the WDTVL has many, many people confirming that the WDTVL does pass (bitstream) Dolby TrueHD, but downmixes DTS-HD MA to DTS 5.1core (or 2.0, depending on your output settings).  The link is the first confirmation of that, but if you search that thread, many, many others have confirmed this as fact.

October 19, 2009, 11:19:55 AM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks for the link!  That's good to know.   I imagine that the DTS-MA license is cost prohibitive for WD and would raise the price of the unit for a great percentage of users who have no desire or ability to process MA or True HD.   I think the core down mix is a great compromise.   Anyone who is a stickler for high end audio and has a DTS-MA system with all the speakers that can really take advantage of it will have a Bluray player hooked up to it anyways. 

October 19, 2009, 05:58:48 PM
Reply #10

nube

• Personal Text
    avsforum junkie
I don't think it's a licensing issue that's preventing DTS-HD MA from being passed, because the device knows what it is.  To recognize DTS-HD MA, I'm pretty sure it has to have been licensed to understand the codec.  From what I've read from the WD folks (Guy & Scott) over at the AVS forum, and from the comments on WDTVLive.com, I get the impression that the device _will_ pass DTS-HD MA at some point, and that it could now with proper firmware support.  I mean, they already legitimately pass Dolby TrueHD. 

I think adding DTS-HD MA bitstreaming and DVD/BD ISO Menu & Chapter support would make this the perfect device, as long as we could mod XBMC to work with it (or something equally slick like YAMJ or the other PCH movie sheet generators and skins).

Re: having a BD player already...Unless you're like me, and you have the setup but don't have anything but an HTPC to drive it.

October 20, 2009, 12:58:00 AM
Reply #11

wiiBox

I don't think it's a licensing issue that's preventing DTS-HD MA from being passed, because the device knows what it is.  To recognize DTS-HD MA, I'm pretty sure it has to have been licensed to understand the codec.

Yes, they do have a DTS license, but a stipulation is that DTS HD be not fully passed thru.  That is how I understand it from reading snipets here and there.  This is the last thing I read about it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1175776  It's an AVS thread for another media player where an enployee tries to explain the reason for the limited DTS support.  It's a bit of a slog to wade through but you get there in the end.  I'm assuming something similar applies to most media players.

From what I've read from the WD folks (Guy & Scott) over at the AVS forum, and from the comments on WDTVLive.com, I get the impression that the device _will_ pass DTS-HD MA at some point, and that it could now with proper firmware support.  I mean, they already legitimately pass Dolby TrueHD.

The surprise for me here is the WDTVLive.com mention since to me WDTVLive.com is a ghost town.  If there is some kind of forum I'm missing, please kindly point me to it.   ::)

As far as support in the future... well, yes the lisencing can change, etc, etc. 

I think adding DTS-HD MA bitstreaming and DVD/BD ISO Menu & Chapter support would make this the perfect device, as long as we could mod XBMC to work with it (or something equally slick like YAMJ or the other PCH movie sheet generators and skins).

Re: having a BD player already...Unless you're like me, and you have the setup but don't have anything but an HTPC to drive it.

I'd love for it to do full menus, something the competition already does, and the rest you mention would be neat, too, but there are some rumblings Menu support may be in the back burner.  Personally, I'm not that bothered there are no menus as long as it has a nice mix of picture quality, stability and features... probably, in that order.   :D