Author Topic: Video - WDTV Live vs Ext3-Boot Network Navigation  (Read 4689 times)

October 15, 2009, 05:05:45 PM
Read 4689 times

matt314159

I don't know if this will be redundant compared to the other video(s) that have been done but I just did a quick comparison video to show how much simpler the network navigation is on ext3-Boot vs the current incarnation of the WDTV Live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6uGz1u9hK4

I JUST finished uploading this to youtube so the quality won't be full HD for a couple more hours, but you can view the crappy quality version now if you don't wanna wait for youtube to finish processing it. (I know you're all THAT excited to watch the video, right?)

October 16, 2009, 03:04:38 AM
Reply #1

mrg

Do you have auto logon turned on?

October 16, 2009, 06:49:37 AM
Reply #2

matt314159

Do you have auto logon turned on?
No, not currently, though that does save a few clicks!

I was trying to get it to see one of my shares that was missing, and so I disabled the auto-login

October 16, 2009, 08:22:03 AM
Reply #3

Syntax Error

So it takes a few more clicks to go to the share? I for one thing the WD TV Live's interface is quite intuitive, making a distinction between direct attached storage and network attached storage, which is helpful for those who have a multitude of external disk drives and they may potentially also have a NAS.

As long as I can access my media, I'm happy. The WD TV Live's snappier UI is also a big improvement over the old WD TV.

October 16, 2009, 11:29:26 AM
Reply #4

matt314159

We've got a wide range of age groups around here ranging from kids to fiftysomethings.   It needs to be easy enough for "mom" to work.  

Listing all the shares and HDD's on the main video page would be my preferred choice, with an icon to differentiate what's on the network and what's local storage.  

That's just my view on things.   The video wasn't intended to start a debate, but I thought it might be helpful for ext3-boot users on the fence about upgrading to see them compared.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:34:45 AM by matt314159 »

October 16, 2009, 01:09:17 PM
Reply #5

tech324

I don't know if this will be redundant compared to the other video(s) that have been done but I just did a quick comparison video to show how much simpler the network navigation is on ext3-Boot vs the current incarnation of the WDTV Live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6uGz1u9hK4

I JUST finished uploading this to youtube so the quality won't be full HD for a couple more hours, but you can view the crappy quality version now if you don't wanna wait for youtube to finish processing it. (I know you're all THAT excited to watch the video, right?)

I believe they will get a custom firmware for this soon.  If so, maybe they can change the interface to access shares easier?

October 16, 2009, 01:30:35 PM
Reply #6

Syntax Error

That's just my view on things.   The video wasn't intended to start a debate, but I thought it might be helpful for ext3-boot users on the fence about upgrading to see them compared.
I understand where you're coming from; I'm all for a smoother UI. I just believe with all the features the WD TV Live has over the first WD TV, that some people are considering the UI to be a dealbreaker is just a silly reason. ;)

October 16, 2009, 02:25:47 PM
Reply #7

Well99

Being one of those people that feels that the problems with the WDTV Live are deal breakers... let me tell you why I think it...

1.  I have a non-technical wife.  She watches things on the WDTV... if she can't work it its not acceptable.

2.  The menus are quick in the WDTV Live, but if it takes me 5 more menu loads and 3 more clicks to get to a video... its actually slower.

Now my setup is much more complex looking than the video you showed.  I have 5 computers showing up as network shares... so its not click the network share and go... its scroll up and down wait for each one to load a name and then click.  After that you still have to wait for the shares to load... even with auto-load.

Now to contradict myself... I don't think this is a long term deal breaker.  Either UI Mods will come out or someone will hack the device.  However, for me it meant the new WDTV Live is sitting in its box, while the old ones are still in use on each TV I have.

October 16, 2009, 09:00:52 PM
Reply #8

matt314159

I have every confidence they'll get a modded system wroking soon.  b-rad.cc is already working on things and sounds very confident he'll be in it as soon as they release the files he needs.  I've got to admit I don't understand it all.   But it sounds like they built this with modders in mind, considering how powerful the processor is, and how much ram and flash memory it comes with built in.   I'm using the Live right now but I'm on the fence about putting it into mothballs and using my old box for now.  I've gone back and forth a couple times already.

October 17, 2009, 08:36:28 AM
Reply #9

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I didn't like the new interface at first...but it has grown on me and I think its better & more intuitive :) I don't need anything from wd matt, found & configured myself a compiler and have gone through and compiled everything necessary. I actually have a firmware ready, I'm just trying to sum up the courage to initiate the upgrade :-X

October 17, 2009, 11:37:18 AM
Reply #10

matt314159

my main gripe is along the lines of well99, how may clicks and menu-loads it takes to access the shares.  I much prefer the original box in this regard.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:22:48 PM by matt314159 »