Author Topic: DVD menus - does the WDTV Live support this?  (Read 3878 times)

October 16, 2009, 12:54:52 PM
Read 3878 times

bobby singh

Hi all,

I recently bought the WD TV but was disappointed to find that its unable to play DVD menus. Is there a hacked firmware available to overcome this or does anyone know if the WD TV Live has support for DVD menu?

Thanks
Bobby

October 21, 2009, 05:35:36 PM
Reply #1

KinisonKhan

I dont know, but I plan to test it out in a few days when my WDTV Live arrives.

I have a usb hub, ext DVD-RW, HDD, thumb drive, etc.  Not sure if i'll need to run custom firmware right from the start.

Not being able to play menus isnt a deal breaker for me as I already knew that the both players wouldnt support menus.  I am primarily more concerned in being able to playback HDTV .TS files (QAM captured nfl games), in addition to HDMI output as my current HTPC/XBMC rig cant handle HDMI well enough (video only, no audio).

October 21, 2009, 06:36:54 PM
Reply #2

Whoheart

They've claimed to be working on it for the WDTV.

Presumably once they've made the code they could use it in all models (if they are a bit smart with how they designed and programmed it)
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

October 21, 2009, 06:41:38 PM
Reply #3

matt314159

I am primarily more concerned in being able to playback HDTV .TS files (QAM captured nfl games), in addition to HDMI output as my current HTPC/XBMC rig cant handle HDMI well enough (video only, no audio).
The HDMI output is perfect.    Additionally, I've played HD satellite transport streams on it, and it worked well.  If I recall I might have had to remux them to .m2ts but that process only takes a couple minutes and it's done.  Then again i think they *might* have added .ts support, since I last did that, don't quote me on that though. 

October 21, 2009, 07:22:06 PM
Reply #4

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
i'm sorta (not very fast) working on this...   

::)

October 22, 2009, 07:45:12 AM
Reply #5

franks

• DeSpammer

The CinemaTube supposedly supports DVD menus on ISO files. The company is running a 30-day free trial if anyone wants to check it out. Includes networking, torrent downloading and more. Obviously it is meant to compete with WDTV Live and Popcorn Hour. I don't have one, but I am considering placing an order.

http://www.brite-view.com/store.php

October 23, 2009, 02:55:02 PM
Reply #6

Whoheart

They've claimed to be working on it for the WDTV.

Presumably once they've made the code they could use it in all models (if they are a bit smart with how they designed and programmed it)

I've since noticed they have *removed* this from their list of things - so i guess not.
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

October 23, 2009, 02:58:09 PM
Reply #7

Whoheart

The CinemaTube supposedly supports DVD menus on ISO files. The company is running a 30-day free trial if anyone wants to check it out. Includes networking, torrent downloading and more. Obviously it is meant to compete with WDTV Live and Popcorn Hour. I don't have one, but I am considering placing an order.

How can you have a trial on hardware?

October 24, 2009, 10:55:56 AM
Reply #8

franks

• DeSpammer

How can you have a trial on hardware?

You pay for the hardware, you use it for 30 days (or nearly 30 days, they may need to get it back before the 30 day trial period expires), you don't like it then you return it  postage paid by them and then they send back your money. If you think they are fly-by-nighters, then they keep your money. I believe they are legit. Check the link for more details.

October 27, 2009, 06:51:18 PM
Reply #9

wiiBox

i'm sorta (not very fast) working on this...   

::)

Did you mean to say you were working on ts file support or DVD menus?

All the realtek based players seem to have this feature, along with BT download client.  Seems to me the realtek SDK comes with them.  And I'm actually watching out for SDK 2.0 to show up sometime soon, if it hasn't already.  I'm very intrigued about these units.  Wish WD would show it's hand already and bring out the first firmware update.  You can't tell me they didn't know about the network issues before the Live shipped so I expect they've been working on it since before launch.  So where is it?!   ???