Author Topic: Network Shares Problem - Windows 2008 SBS - Domain (Active Directory)  (Read 8122 times)

October 15, 2009, 07:05:01 PM
Read 8122 times

cheebster

Ok, i got a few questions here. Bought 2 of those little toys, cant get them to work.

I'm using a Windows SBS 2008 server with some shares on it. I've got a windows domain here.

When i try to browse my server using 'network shares' in the WDTV Live's gui, i get the login/password prompt. I can enter domain.local\User and the password, and it accepts it. If i enter it wrong it tells me it's wrong so that part is working;

however i get the error that there is no media in the current folder. I've tried installing NFS and creating a NFS share on the 2008 sbs, wont do much. Network discovery is on, firewall is completely disabled.

Any ideas on this one ? I'm also wondering, if NFS is NEEDED or if standard shares are supposed to work. Thanks to any replies !!

October 15, 2009, 07:08:51 PM
Reply #1

matt314159

standard share work but IIRC server 2k8 has a lot of the same networking fundamentals as windows 7, and so you might need to follow the guide for windows 7 to see if that lets you make any headway.  It's one of the threads in this forum, probably only a few down from this one.

October 15, 2009, 07:11:44 PM
Reply #2

cheebster

Yeah, i've read this one already. It seems it doesn't do the job, well for me it doesn't  :-\

October 15, 2009, 07:32:47 PM
Reply #3

cheebster

I can't browse the windows7 pc i got here either. I wonder why it says that the folder doesnt content media files, when i've only browsed a computer name ? I can't even get a list of the shares, i just click on the computer name and it gives the error... sounds odd to me.

October 15, 2009, 07:56:06 PM
Reply #4

Syntax Error

Does your WD TV Live's user name for the server active directory have a space in it? I heard some people were having issues with people who had spaces in their WD TV Live's user name. Try "WDTVLIVE" - that's what works for me (Win Server 2008 x64 SP2 Enterprise).

October 16, 2009, 03:43:39 AM
Reply #5

cheebster

Ok ! I've tried it, no go here. I'm wondering :

- did you manually add the computer name into users and computers ?

- what syntax are you using for the login; domain\User, or just User, or even domain.xxx\User ?

- how many shares do you have on the server ? Here i've got 16 (including some admin default shares created by sbs2k8, such as sysvol, netlogon and such..) Most of the shares i've created are drives. I also have a shared fax service that appears on \\server. Wondering if it's the built in network browser of WDTV Live that bugs when reading the shares listing for whatever reason...

I'm using SBS, i wonder if it does any difference..

Getting out of ideas here :| Event viewer shows no errors at all. Thanks !
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:53:16 AM by cheebster »

October 16, 2009, 05:24:40 AM
Reply #6

Well99

I noticed that if I gave the user no permission to the share then I got the no media found error.  However, I also have a problem with the listing of the shares, so it might not be related to the security needs.  Meaning... the account you are using has access to list shares on the server.  Or access data in the shares.

My understanding is that NSF is not needed nor will it work.

We discussed in another thread that there seems to be a limit on the number of network shares the LIVE will show, but that limit should be larger than 0.

I personally don't use the domain at all when I log into my server, but I made a local account on my server just for the wdtv boxes.  But tonight I will try a local domain login and see what I get from my boxes.

-Well

October 16, 2009, 06:00:09 AM
Reply #7

cheebster

Hi Well99, ok ! Well, i'm unsure how i'd be able to give permissions to 'list' shares other than having the account setuped on the server and providing the credentials when asked on the wdtv; i don't even get a list of the shares so i'm wondering how permissions of the shares theirselves would affect the listing. If only i could see any log on either side of what's blocking what and why.. nothing in even viewer and a generic error on the wdtv.

October 16, 2009, 10:32:19 AM
Reply #8

cheebster

Update : I've called WD, was sent to level 2 tech support, who sent the request to WD's engineer because the level 2 couldn't fix it. It seems they'll figure it out, wonder if i'll get any follow-up from them ! :)

October 16, 2009, 11:13:04 AM
Reply #9

Syntax Error

So have you given your WDTV Live's user account at the very least read access to your shares? Make sure you don't have any spaces in your user name, as some have been reporting issues with user names with spaces or unusual characters in it. For simplicity, I personally used "WDTVLIVE" and it works.

October 16, 2009, 09:39:14 PM
Reply #10

ratskrad

So up until an hour ago I had not been able to see more then three shares and sometimes only one or two. So here a post I just did at AVS on how I fixed Network Shares running Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and the WDTV LIVE.

I now show seven shares with everything showing up and all media, pictures, movies, tv shows and music on both internal and external hdd's showing up. Right now I am sharing off of three internal and one external hdd which is plugged into usb on my computer.

Now what I have done is share the folders and not the hdd's. The names I had assigned to the original folders were Music, Music1, Music Others, etc. I also had the movies folder named Movies and the TV Shows as TV Shows. This is where the problem lies. The WDTV LIVE has issues seeing these names when running Windows 7. Under Network in Explorer I right clicked on the original share name bringing up the menu and went to Share with -> Advanced Sharing and added a share name using A,B,C,D with a number and then a name saying what in in the folder ie TV, Movies, Pictures, Music

A1 Movies
B1 TV
C1 Music
C2 Music
C3 Music
D1 Pictures
D2 Pictures

I added Guest and my user login to permissions along with Everyone being there by default. I am not setup as HomeGroup but as a Work Network.

I can now say that this unit now does what I wanted it to do and that is play all of my different media through my stereo and flat screen. I really wish these instructions had been somewhere for me to find vs me spending six days trying all different things to get this working. I will give props to someone out there as I had read about the naming issue but I do not remember where it was. I do not have media sharing turned on as I want to be able to play flac and mkv which does not get passed through to the WDTV LIVE using media sharing.

October 17, 2009, 06:24:28 AM
Reply #11

cheebster

Ok, same results here. It seems none of the domain accounts im using here work. If i enable guest user and use it, i can access the shares without any problems.

However, the shares listing is random. WD, fix your firmware ! Pretty flaky, i wonder why they didnt even bother to test it in their labs. Weird.

Thanks ratskad, will try the new sharing names trick !

October 20, 2009, 08:40:05 AM
Reply #12

jjstreic

This sould also work if you use a local account on the file server.  If you are trying to do this on an SBS system, the _all_ accounts are "local" to it.  Try accessing the shares with just a username and password without the domain\username or username@domain.com stuff.  It _should_ work this way.