Author Topic: Folder images colors look terrible!  (Read 2212 times)

October 15, 2009, 11:47:37 AM
Read 2212 times

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
So I just unpacked my WDTV Live, was amazed how fast the menu is. Youtube is pretty funny too.

But then I browsed to my network shares and the icons look horrible! Even the default ones when you have no folder.jpg.

It looks like the hue is way up, or way too much contrast, no depth and hard colors.

On my WDTV they looked great, and now they look terrible!

Anyone else noticed this?

I tried all the possible color (depth) settings like 8 and 12 bit colors and Auto, RGB High/Low and YpRetc. Nothing worked...

Also tried the same HDMI input and cable on my TV. Still the same. Also strange is that when they load the first time (they load fast!) it will look somewhat ok, but then it goes to terrible real quick...

I might have to sent this one back. Home screen and movie playback seem ok, but haven't really put the movie section to the test.

October 16, 2009, 02:52:23 AM
Reply #1

mrbill

So I just unpacked my WDTV Live, was amazed how fast the menu is. Youtube is pretty funny too.

But then I browsed to my network shares and the icons look horrible! Even the default ones when you have no folder.jpg.

It looks like the hue is way up, or way too much contrast, no depth and hard colors.

On my WDTV they looked great, and now they look terrible!

Anyone else noticed this?

I tried all the possible color (depth) settings like 8 and 12 bit colors and Auto, RGB High/Low and YpRetc. Nothing worked...

Also tried the same HDMI input and cable on my TV. Still the same. Also strange is that when they load the first time (they load fast!) it will look somewhat ok, but then it goes to terrible real quick...

I might have to sent this one back. Home screen and movie playback seem ok, but haven't really put the movie section to the test.

I noticed it, but decided on a work around.
Grabbed the tv remote and adjusted the picture to where I liked it. My tv saves settings for each input so it works for me.

Sending it back seemed a bit drastic. The work around will due until this is fixed with a firmware update.

Besides, I'm already on my second box. The first lasted 84 min. before crapping out.
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.

October 16, 2009, 04:33:22 AM
Reply #2

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Thanks for the feedback. When I adjust the picture for the thumbs the movies will probably look worse.

Guess I'll be waiting for that firmware update too.

If it still works, because I couldn't get anything to play over the network after last night. Even after resetting my NAS and the WDTV Live. Going to try a full network reset, and WDTV Live factory reset (again) later and see if it will connect then...

October 16, 2009, 06:05:49 AM
Reply #3

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
If it were me I'd open a ticket with WD just to make sure it's not a hardware fault.  You don't want to be waiting for a firmware update only to find out later that it's too late to send the box back.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares