Author Topic: Configuring WDLXTV networks - totally lost, please help!  (Read 1224 times)

February 03, 2010, 09:55:04 PM
Read 1224 times

oposky2006

I am totally lost with WDLXTV & using it with a network:

1. what is it supposed to do? - allow the WDTV box to see other computers on my LAN, allow other computers to see anything plugged into the WDTV (so acting as a NAS), or both?

2. how do I configure the Net.Mount file? -
it gives some examples when you look at the unconfigured file (presumably I remove the # symbol to make any line active?):

# Mount a windows file share (must be done by IP address)
#xmount //192.168.0.33/ShareName ShareName cifs

# if your "guest" account is disabled, you must supply username and password
#xmount //192.168.0.34/ShareName ShareName cifs user=username,pass=password

# Mount an NFS share
#xmount 192.168.0.44:/nfsroot ShareName nfs

What is ShareName? What is cifs? Which option do I use? What is a guest account? (running Windows XP & Vista PC's without password protection). What do I put in as username & password? Even the IP is not straight forward: I entered a fixed IP in Net.Config, but it nevertheless assigns its own one - presumably this will change on the next connection, so how do I put in a fixed IP? (I'm using a generic USB>RJ45 wired adapter).

Ideally what I would like to do is use my WDTV as a NAS with a Ext3-formatted HDD plugged into it, and then read/write to this HDD from any PC on my network.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

February 04, 2010, 07:41:27 AM
Reply #1

dancytron

Follow these instructions for a good way to share from PC to WDTV to play stuff off of PC.

http://mrlazy.wordpress.com/2009/08/04/how-to-setup-nfs-shares-on-wd-tv-using-hanewin/

FTP is probably the best way to move files around.  Search forum for many posts on how to set it up.