Author Topic: Configuring WDLXTV networks - totally lost, please help!  (Read 1361 times)

February 03, 2010, 09:55:04 PM
Read 1361 times

I am totally lost with WDLXTV & using it with a network:

1. what is it supposed to do? - allow the WDTV box to see other computers on my LAN, allow other computers to see anything plugged into the WDTV (so acting as a NAS), or both?

2. how do I configure the Net.Mount file? -
it gives some examples when you look at the unconfigured file (presumably I remove the # symbol to make any line active?):

# Mount a windows file share (must be done by IP address)
#xmount // ShareName cifs

# if your "guest" account is disabled, you must supply username and password
#xmount // ShareName cifs user=username,pass=password

# Mount an NFS share
#xmount ShareName nfs

What is ShareName? What is cifs? Which option do I use? What is a guest account? (running Windows XP & Vista PC's without password protection). What do I put in as username & password? Even the IP is not straight forward: I entered a fixed IP in Net.Config, but it nevertheless assigns its own one - presumably this will change on the next connection, so how do I put in a fixed IP? (I'm using a generic USB>RJ45 wired adapter).

Ideally what I would like to do is use my WDTV as a NAS with a Ext3-formatted HDD plugged into it, and then read/write to this HDD from any PC on my network.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

February 04, 2010, 07:41:27 AM
Reply #1

Follow these instructions for a good way to share from PC to WDTV to play stuff off of PC.

FTP is probably the best way to move files around.  Search forum for many posts on how to set it up.