Author Topic: Wireless USB Network Adaptors - Which One Do You Use And ...  (Read 90825 times)

December 04, 2009, 02:44:12 AM
Reply #30

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Hi

In Germany, I bought a "MSI US300EX Lite" WLAN stick and seems to work fine. Was very cheap (15 euro incl. transp).

Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee

December 13, 2009, 12:23:48 PM
Reply #31

p4pst

Moin, moin.

I bought first the wlan stick D-Link DWA-140/DE with the "n" -standard that could transfer up to 300 Mbit/s ... but not with my old speedport router. Now i use a D-Link DIR-655 router combined with a ADSL2+ modem to use the fullspeed. I go nearer and nearer with the stick and the router and with a range of ca. 3 meters it streams full hd movie files with 1080p & dts without clippings. Not the best results :-(

Greetz from germany

December 13, 2009, 11:14:21 PM
Reply #32

dayman

Ok, I see a lot of people saying it won't stream 1080p. I'm looking for a wiresless adapter, I'm a good 20 yards away, no real walls....I MUST STREAM 1080p of the network well though it's the reason I got this thing. So, who here knows for sure yours is working w/ 1080p? I'm obviously looking for the cheapest that'll work good.

December 22, 2009, 07:18:15 AM
Reply #33

mysticeyes

Hello, I've got a brand new WDTV Live along with a D-Link DWA-140 (ver. 1.30). My PC runs Vista 32 with SP2 and is located about 30 feet and two rooms away, next to the Actiontec MI424WR router from Verizon. I just plugged the adapter in and, after stumbling around the menus a bit, I got the wireless link to work really well. I can't tell if there is any difference in performance if I use the booster cradle that came with the D-Link adapter; I get three bars either way. So far, I've played a bunch of files (flac, mp3, avi, mpg, mp4, vob and iso images of DVDs); there are some video clips that it won't play (says "No Audio Channel"), but I think that's probably a format problem (?) and a separate issue. I am really enjoying my WDTV so far.

December 23, 2009, 06:08:05 PM
Reply #34

TurboRegal

Just picked up an Asus USB-N13 adapter and despite being Ralink RT2870 based (apparently, I have no idea how to confirm this) it does not work.

It does not seem to be recognized by the WD TV Live, the light doesn't turn on at all. I've tried plugging it in/out, resetting while plugged in, and did a firmware upgrade to 1.01.11 and it still did not seem to recognize it at all.

If it would be recognized, where would it show up in the menus? I need to find somewhere to buy a compatible adapter for cheap in Canada tomorrow if possible, maybe I'll just buy from a big box store then return it once I get a new one from ebay...

December 29, 2009, 05:48:09 AM
Reply #35

mix

Hi! Yesterday I bought a D-Link DWA-140 fw1.31 adapter to connect to a Netgear DGN2000 ADSL router. I experience serious signal power issues and I am not the only one: http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWA-140-RangeBooster-802-11n-Wireless/product-reviews/B0010T8X54/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

So, even if the DWA-140 is correctly detected by the WD Live, I will use another adapter since streaming video is compromised >:(

December 29, 2009, 03:30:26 PM
Reply #36

TheTooleMan

This works with the WDTV Live but was not on WD's list when I bought it: AZiO AWU101N 802.11n Wireless USB Adapter, MIMO Smart Antenna Technology.

AZiO AWU101N 802.11n Wireless USB Adapter

It comes with a driver disk, but I wasn't able to shove it into the WDTV Live, hard as tried. (Just kidding)

TheTooleMan

December 30, 2009, 08:00:22 PM
Reply #37

FuGGer

using wrt610n wireless router and wusb600n adapter.
both are v1 hardware even tho i just got them for christmas. wtf but it works...so nvm ;)

streaming 1080p mkv works from 2nd floor to the wdtvl located directly below on the lower floor (~18 feet below and thru about 1 foot of concrete flooring).

using 5ghz band...

January 22, 2010, 08:18:02 AM
Reply #38

jbloggs

using wrt610n wireless router and wusb600n adapter.
both are v1 hardware even tho i just got them for christmas. wtf but it works...so nvm ;)

streaming 1080p mkv works from 2nd floor to the wdtvl located directly below on the lower floor (~18 feet below and thru about 1 foot of concrete flooring).

using 5ghz band...

I have exactly the same setup, except mine is v2. WRT610N $101 shipped - Referb directly from Linksys and WUSB600N $30 shipped from Ebay. I have the WDTV Live on the 5Ghz band which is only thing connected in that band.

January 22, 2010, 01:06:50 PM
Reply #39

loopykiwi

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Netgear WNDR3700 router and I am getting a WNDA3100 USB adapter free by redemption, just wondering if anyone have got netgear USB adaptors working with the WDTV Live or do I need to buy another adaptor for it.  I hope so because 5ghz adapters are not cheap over here in New Zealand

Cheers
Loopy

February 06, 2010, 07:10:31 PM
Reply #40

michele

I'm using a Sitecom WL-329 V1 001 and it works great (with a G access point, the d-link dsl-2640b). 

February 11, 2010, 08:50:48 AM
Reply #41

mbryanr

Received my WDTV Live yesterday....
During research of the player I noted that the Wireless USB chipset for the WDTV Live uses the same chipset as the Samsung Blu Ray player I own....pulled the Rosewill RNX-N1 from the Samsung and works perfectly on the WDTV.

http://rosewill.com/products/1125/productDetail.htm

February 12, 2010, 03:11:57 PM
Reply #42

anton123

Has anyone tried to see if the Linksys WUSB54GC wireless adapter works with the WDTV Live?

February 13, 2010, 05:46:34 AM
Reply #43

ubuntu_guy

I bought a D-Link DWA-125 because it was about the cheapest USB WIFI adaptor that was supposed to work with the WD TV Live.

I was surprised at how easy it was. All you have to do is:
1. Download the latest firmware for the WD TV Live, and flash it.
2. Plug the DWA-125 into the USB port on the WD TV Live.
3. Enter in the wireless network configuration on the WD TV Live (AES WPA2). The SSID is as it is, but you will need to compute the PSK from your passphrase, which is in hex (e.g. 0-9, a-f). To do that in Ubuntu Hardy (8.04), you may need to install wpa_passphrase with sudo apt-get install wpa_passphrase. You'd type in the terminal:
sudo apt-get install wpa_passphrase
And to get the PSK:
wpa_passphrase SSID passphrase
To clear your bash history, because you don't want people to find your passphrase through searching your bash history:
history -c
Just use the PSK when it asks for your (I think?) network security password, or whatever it is that comes after the SSID.

From that point on, your WD TV Live will have a connection to your wireless router, and it is only up to you to finesse your media server to share via samba (which works well with mkv, unlike mediatomb). It streams anything I have thrown at it fine, though I don't own any Bluray titles.

Overall, very impressed. The DWA-125 is certainly fine for DVD quality stuff, not sure about Blu-ray though as I didn't get to test it. And it is about the cheapest USB WIFI adaptor you would find.

February 17, 2010, 04:08:00 PM
Reply #44

baglady215

I picked up a Tenda W311U Mini Wireless N USB Adapter at Microcenter yesterday for $14.99 to see if it worked.  It does.  It's nice and small too.The $80 WUSB600N is going back to Best Buy!