Author Topic: Wireless USB Network Adaptors - Which One Do You Use And ...  (Read 90983 times)

October 14, 2009, 05:46:11 AM
Read 90983 times

organicman

How happy are you with it?

I have just unboxed my WDTV live and I need to pick up a USB network adapter to play with.

I figure a lot of people are in this position.

Please post the USB adapter you are using and what you like / dislike about it.  If you have issue, let us know!

If you know the bandwidth you are getting please include it.  And if you know the prices/ links please add those as well!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:02:00 PM by jayallan »

October 14, 2009, 04:22:48 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

Quote from: ScottWD
Here are the USB Adapters that we've tested: Ralink based

Manufacturer Model # Device Name
Belkin F5D8055 N1 Wireless USB adapter
Belkin F5D8051 N1 Wireless USB adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini
D-Link DWA-140 Rangebooster N USB Adapter
EnGenius EUB-9701 Wireless N adapter
Linksys WUSB100 Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter
Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band
Trendnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB adapter
Trendnet TEW-645UB Wireless N USB adapter
Trendnet TEW-664UB 300Mbps Dual Band WirelessN USB Adapter
Sitecom WL-329 Wireless Dualband USB Adapter
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 18, 2009, 04:25:23 PM
Reply #3

matt314159

I just plugged these bad boys into ebay to see what prices came up, thought I'd share. 
$69 Belkin F5D8055 N1 Wireless USB adapter
$29 Belkin F5D8051 N1 Wireless USB adapter
$49 Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
$40 Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N Wireless N compact USB 2.0 Adapter
$23 Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Mini
$23 D-Link DWA-140 Rangebooster N USB Adapter
$32 EnGenius EUB-9701 Wireless N adapter
$20 Linksys WUSB100 Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter
$25 Linksys WUSB600N Wireless-N USB network adapter with dual-band
$25 Trendnet TEW-644UB Wireless N USB adapter
$42 Trendnet TEW-645UB Wireless N USB adapter
$48 Trendnet TEW-664UB 300Mbps Dual Band WirelessN USB Adapter
??? Sitecom WL-329 Wireless Dualband USB Adapter

I want to read some more reviews before I settle for one but I think I like the price and size of the buffalo Mini.    But i'm all the way across the house from the router;  I've currently got a netgear N router setup with DD-WRT configured as a client bridge, and in that corner of the house, with both routers gained up to 100mw, I get 37% signal quality where the WDTV Live is at.   I want something that will give the best performance for a low-signal area, so in that respect, I might go with the Engenius one, I've got an EUB-362 EXT and it's got the BEST RF sensitivity I've ever seen.  Not sure if all the Engenius products are like that or if it was just that one model of G adapter I have.   

October 18, 2009, 05:45:16 PM
Reply #4

tech324

I bought the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN for the 1st version of WDTV (wdlxtv and ext3) and I couldn't get it to work.  It looks like it works for WDTV Live.  When I get my WDTV Live tomorrow I will test it out.  This adapter is perfect for the WDTV if it works well.  It is one of the smallest wireless N adapters out there.  I have even thought about soldering it to the USB port inside since it is so small.  I will post in the next few days if the adapter works well with the WDTV Live.

October 18, 2009, 07:58:18 PM
Reply #5

matt314159

I bought the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN for the 1st version of WDTV (wdlxtv and ext3) and I couldn't get it to work.  It looks like it works for WDTV Live.  When I get my WDTV Live tomorrow I will test it out.  This adapter is perfect for the WDTV if it works well.  It is one of the smallest wireless N adapters out there.  I have even thought about soldering it to the USB port inside since it is so small.  I will post in the next few days if the adapter works well with the WDTV Live.
Sounds good, I'm going to hold off on ordering one until you report back so don't let me down! ;)  I'm gonna read some reviews as well though to see what has the best RF sensitivity and power.  

*edit* well I read some reviews and the mini seemed pretty highly rated so I gave it a shot.  If it doesn't work out I've got other uses I can put this to.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 08:57:10 PM by matt314159 »

October 19, 2009, 01:14:22 PM
Reply #6

tech324

I bought the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN for the 1st version of WDTV (wdlxtv and ext3) and I couldn't get it to work.  It looks like it works for WDTV Live.  When I get my WDTV Live tomorrow I will test it out.  This adapter is perfect for the WDTV if it works well.  It is one of the smallest wireless N adapters out there.  I have even thought about soldering it to the USB port inside since it is so small.  I will post in the next few days if the adapter works well with the WDTV Live.
Sounds good, I'm going to hold off on ordering one until you report back so don't let me down! ;)  I'm gonna read some reviews as well though to see what has the best RF sensitivity and power.  

*edit* well I read some reviews and the mini seemed pretty highly rated so I gave it a shot.  If it doesn't work out I've got other uses I can put this to.   

I am using the wireless now.  I am able to stream most of my movie files.  The firmware is very buggy when it comes to streaming from samba/cifs shares.  I can stream youtube fine, but half the time the WDTV will not see my server.  A lot of times I have to reconnect to my wireless to get it to show up.  Once I am in the shares the movies stream fine.  The only problem I have with streaming wirelessly are the huge 1080p movies.  I only paid $30 for the wireless adapter so it was worth it.

October 19, 2009, 01:47:10 PM
Reply #7

matt314159

I am using the wireless now.  I am able to stream most of my movie files.  The firmware is very buggy when it comes to streaming from samba/cifs shares.  I can stream youtube fine, but half the time the WDTV will not see my server.  A lot of times I have to reconnect to my wireless to get it to show up.  Once I am in the shares the movies stream fine.  The only problem I have with streaming wirelessly are the huge 1080p movies.  I only paid $30 for the wireless adapter so it was worth it.

I think mine was like $32 shipped from newegg, so it will be fine for playing around with anyway :)   Like I need more electronics junk, you should see my closet. 

I plan to do the same throughput test with the N adapter as I did with the Router/Client Bridge setup, and see which one wins for overall speed. 

October 21, 2009, 02:21:59 PM
Reply #8

sti3

October 25, 2009, 01:18:58 AM
Reply #9

LUP3

I was at a local Fry's and was told that the Buffalo WLI-UC-GN isn't really N. If you look at the specs on their site (http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/nfiniti-wireless-n/nfiniti-wireless-n-ultra-compact-usb-20-adapter-wli-uc-gn/) N isn't in the logo for type of wifi. Tricky because they call it N, but really it isn't. I originally got the Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N and was getting 3 our of 4 bars, then ended up getting the Buffalo WLI-UC-G300HP thinking it would give me 4 out of 4 bars because of the high power antenna, but am still getting 3 out of 4 bars. It works like a charm, no issues streaming a 1080p MKV from a networked drive from my airport extreme base station. I also learned that the WLI-UC-G300HP doesn't run on the 5GHz spectrum as like most of the Apple N products do.

October 25, 2009, 02:14:54 AM
Reply #10

matt314159

I think that's just because up 'till like a month ago there was no official "N" certification standard, they were all "Draft N" products...it took them what, 3-4 years to finalize the standard?  and "Wifi certified B/G/N" to me is more of a marketing ploy.  A device can be 100% 802.11 b/g/n/whatever complaint and not be "Wifi Certified". 

October 29, 2009, 06:04:57 PM
Reply #11

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:02:21 PM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 29, 2009, 10:01:09 PM
Reply #12

kasilof

There is thread earlier to get a cheap usb drive. However I earlier went to buy dot.com and ordered Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Ultra Compact USB Dongle - USB - 300Mbps - IEEE 802.11n (draft).  I was happy with the choice since it is so small and sexy I may even put it in the side USB.  However, I just checked linux and it is not auto setup.  However, it is not here yet.

MOD: I merged the other threads to this one
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:27:10 PM by jayallan »

October 30, 2009, 03:56:05 PM
Reply #13

kasilof

Buffalo Tiny.  I got the adapter today and I am not happy with it.  youtube loads slowly and yulu and other playon sites don't work only menus.  However this is from 100 feet away thru 3 walls.  added: I moved it next to the router and it works fine on wireless.

Added: from 60 feet away through 2 walls it works ok.  however, can't get it to work at the 100 foot spot.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:54:01 PM by kasilof »

October 31, 2009, 01:41:36 PM
Reply #14

dslfanboy

Be careful with the Belkin F5D8051 V3100, mine did not work at all no matter what I tried even though it's the correct version.  I tried the Belkin F5D8055 v2 and it worked like a charm and I can stream everything but 1080p.  If you buy an adapter just make sure it's a really good deal because there's a good chance it won't work and if it's cheap enough you won't really care.  The unit is very finicky about wireless adapters.  For kicks I tried an old  Realtek based Encore Enuwi-G2 and it also did not work.