Author Topic: WDTV Live Network Shares & Windows 7 (Solved - How to fix)  (Read 119808 times)

October 13, 2009, 08:39:23 PM
Read 119808 times

knightar

Okay so I just bought the WDTV Live today and I've had issues trying to connect to network shares on my Windows 7 machine. I've tested it on three Windows XP systems and both worked perfectly with no issues at all. Has anyone gotten it to work with Windows 7?

I've tried everything ... even re-enabling LM and NTLM authentication didn't work.

Notes:

- I have no firewall enabled, It worked when running a bridged XP running in VMWare.
- The shares work fine on other Windows 7 systems.
- I have 64bit Windows 7 RTM

Please help =/
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:29:22 AM by jayallan »

October 13, 2009, 09:31:45 PM
Reply #1

voltagex

Check your sharing settings in control panel? There's an option to turn encryption on and off.

October 13, 2009, 10:27:27 PM
Reply #2

knightar

ajgoyt from avsforum helped me fix this problem. He sent me to this guide: http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php?topic=64.msg217#msg217 and it worked perfectly. Heres a quote from Insomniac on the mede8erforum forum:

Win7 (and Vista) has some issues broadcasting its availability on a network.
You could try these changes to your Win7 box:-

Firstly, configure Sharing and Discovery:

1. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel
      2. Click on the down arrow icons and select ON/OFF as follows:
              Network Discovery - ON
              File Sharing - ON
              Public Folder Sharing - OFF
              Printer Sharing - ON
              Password Protected Sharing - OFF
              Media Sharing - OFF

Next, configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder
      2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
      3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
      4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks' if this doesn't work:

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor.
              MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
      2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
      3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
      4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
              MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters
      5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
      6. Close the registry editor

Finally, restart your PC.

I can now use network shares with my WDTV Live!

October 14, 2009, 10:23:54 PM
Reply #3

matt314159

This helped me get up and running.  Might make sticky material, actually.

October 17, 2009, 01:21:15 AM
Reply #4

zetaprime

I've tried the tips shown here, but my network connection still seems to drop after a few minutes playing a music or video. I wonder if I'll have to wait for a firmware update to address this problem. In the meantime the only way to use the WDTV Live is to copy the files I want to use onto the attached hard drive and view them from there. That's not how I was hoping this thing would work.

October 17, 2009, 01:43:53 AM
Reply #5

matt314159

are you hard-wired into a router or are you using a wireless adapter.

A problem with wireless is that sometimes there's not enough bandwidth to sustain the video stream, and once it hits that point, the video becomes choppy and sound drops out....just throwing that out there in case that's where you're going wrong. 

October 17, 2009, 10:05:51 AM
Reply #6

Headcase_Fargone

I've tried the tips shown here, but my network connection still seems to drop after a few minutes playing a music or video. I wonder if I'll have to wait for a firmware update to address this problem. In the meantime the only way to use the WDTV Live is to copy the files I want to use onto the attached hard drive and view them from there. That's not how I was hoping this thing would work.

I'm having the same problem as you, though I just tried streaming from an XP box and it did the same thing.  I don't know what it could be at this point, as it's obviously not the OS.

October 17, 2009, 12:00:00 PM
Reply #7

zetaprime

are you hard-wired into a router or are you using a wireless adapter.

A problem with wireless is that sometimes there's not enough bandwidth to sustain the video stream, and once it hits that point, the video becomes choppy and sound drops out....just throwing that out there in case that's where you're going wrong. 

I'm hard wired.

October 20, 2009, 08:38:10 AM
Reply #8

jjstreic

You don't need to evicerate your security settings to get share access working on Windows 7.  I have a domain running at home and ran into all the same issues when I tried to use a domain account.  I tested by setting up a local account on my 2008 R2 file server with a simple username and password and was able to get to the file shares and play video/music.

My settings are:
"Turn Off Network Discovery"
"Turn On file and printer sharing"
"Turn off public folder sharing"

Those are the only settings I made to get this working.

October 20, 2009, 10:18:11 PM
Reply #9

oaacdi

I've tested it on three Windows XP systems and both worked perfectly with no issues at all.

Can you help me with the Windows XP system? I can see the folders in the WDTV Live but then it says the folder contains no media, which i know it does have all kinds of compatible media (.mpe, .avi, .jpg files).

Thanks!

November 01, 2009, 08:48:48 PM
Reply #10

zetaprime

I've tested it on three Windows XP systems and both worked perfectly with no issues at all.

Can you help me with the Windows XP system? I can see the folders in the WDTV Live but then it says the folder contains no media, which i know it does have all kinds of compatible media (.mpe, .avi, .jpg files).

Thanks!

The advice about creating new names for the shares that was given a few messages back on this thread worked for me except that the network connection still drops after a few minutes. The only thing that works for me is using extra software like Twonky. With that I can watch a movie all the way through with no network dropouts.

November 24, 2009, 08:25:54 PM
Reply #11

MrBeer

;D

This work with no problem add to do the reg  hack on win 7 64 and 32 bit

been trying to get it get it to work for a week now before i saw this

aLSO network woks with username and password 
i didn;t use the everyone username on my win7 share

November 23, 2010, 10:49:51 AM
Reply #12

shootmyyambag

So after making my select folders shared to everyone, all i would get is illegal screen name/ password.  I read this solution and low and behold it worked like a charm.   Go into your installed programs list and uninstall  windows live id sign in assistant.   After this it will prompt for reboot, and wallaaa.  It works like it should.  Hope this helps lots of you out there.  I spent over 6 hrs trying to figure this out.   :)

November 23, 2010, 10:51:29 AM
Reply #13

RoofingGuy

The Samba/Live Essentials 2011 issue should be solved for you with 1.04.10.

November 25, 2010, 02:09:58 AM
Reply #14

emmaroyd

Just to add to this, I had the same problem. The only thing that solved it was to uninstall everything to do with Windows Live. After that, everything works fine. Just make sure that Windows Updates doesn't add it all again though...