Poll

Who would Love this security Feature?

Yes
21 (87.5%)
No
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: REQ 1.02.10 Secuirty Lock for Adult Rated Movies  (Read 9862 times)

February 02, 2010, 11:33:30 AM
Reply #15

colbertnotion

• Welcome to COLBERTNOTION.COM
...common sense says you [don't] want your 7 year old to [accidentally] start watching Hangover...

No, common sense would say if your 7 year old starts knowingly watching any movie they're not supposed to (obviously without fear of being punished for doing so) then you are a failure as a parent - PERIOD.  If your 7 year old knows what the word 'HANGOVER' means enough to associate it with a movie they would attempt to watch then you need to look at why your child would understand the concept at age seven and admit your failure as a parent.  How could someone "accidentally" start watching anything on a WDTV anyway?  Look at the number of posts here under many topics and you'll find several people complaining about the numerous steps needed to start watching a movie on a WDTV.  By this logic, you'd believe it if your spouse says they "accidentally" had an affair.  "I'm sorry, honey.  I accidentally tripped and fell on top of him/her over and over again."  The bottom line here is YOU need to take personal responsibility for keeping movies you don't want your children to watch inaccessible and stop relying on a manufacturer to do your parental job for you.

February 10, 2010, 01:58:28 PM
Reply #16

watcher

I'm sorry, but you are missing the point. This forum is not to discuss someones ability to raise children.
It is a legit question for a security lock, or parental control. But when they are smart enough to handle the WDTV why shouldn't they find the reset-button?
I think this is more difficult than it looks on first sight.

In spite of the fact I have no children, +1

February 25, 2010, 05:07:31 AM
Reply #17

Cloud

Well directory structure... that would fail its like young kids oooh look Rated R lets watch.. erm no bad idea,
and the  guy who said about the hangover movie, young kids wont know what that is and then they wil end up watching it. it would be a small program and there are loads of votes for this.. plus as you can see there are loads of people who would want this. 

its right a special add-on would be great or built-in the osd. its like pedofilia, they block chat sites so no one can access their kids and stuff, WE NEED a Security Lock.. PLEASE.. if there was no lock for chat sites or stuff - would you like that? no... all im asking for , well all of us are asking for a small program with 4 digit lock .. pleasee

March 01, 2010, 01:15:49 PM
Reply #18

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Lots of psychoanalyzing here.  Truth is everyone has a right to their own type of parenting. 
Having the choice to lock folders is a good one, and if we have the choice not everyone is required to use it. 
I vote yes on this one too! 

BTW you can hide folders in windows by renaming them to .foldername

WDTV will ignore them.  Pain to rename them every time you want to watch something though. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 04, 2010, 05:27:12 AM
Reply #19

Piper103

I voted "YES"! I personally think that this would be a great option on the WDTV. And for those who appose this feature.... bottom line it would only be an "OPTION" meaning you don't have to use it.
I hope to see it soon! Thanks!

November 09, 2010, 06:27:55 PM
Reply #20

JTRACKER

This is the first feature I looked for when I got the player.  The idea of using folders to manage doesn't account for the ability to "view all" or "search" folder.  Apparently this is an old thread, but I haven't seen this included yet in the newest release.