Author Topic: I have a WDTV Live, ask me anything.  (Read 22698 times)

October 13, 2009, 01:35:53 PM
Reply #30

robin of the greenwood

Thanks for making yourself available to answer questions.  The biggest question for me (after the DTS downmix question which appears to be answered) is if the WDTV Live decodes color properly.  The current WDTV does not decode color properly on ripped HD files unless properly flagged (which is uncommon).  See the great post started by Hokeysmoke here:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=683.0

Hopefully, the new WDTV Live will have this major error addressed.

Thanks again  :)

October 13, 2009, 07:52:45 PM
Reply #31

ownZero

Curious if any mac users have the new WDTV. I currently do the sneakernet once a week or so to add content to usb drive. Would simply love to mount the attached drive on my mac over the network and just drop files where I want.

Has anyone done this? How does the attached USB drives show up on the LAN?

Thanks.

October 13, 2009, 09:30:08 PM
Reply #32

voltagex

Thanks for making yourself available to answer questions.  The biggest question for me (after the DTS downmix question which appears to be answered) is if the WDTV Live decodes color properly.  The current WDTV does not decode color properly on ripped HD files unless properly flagged (which is uncommon).  See the great post started by Hokeysmoke here:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=683.0

Hopefully, the new WDTV Live will have this major error addressed.

Thanks again  :)

Just confirming again that DTS downmix to stereo works.

If you or someone else can provide a colour test file, I will test on my PC and on the WDTV (connected via HDMI

Curious if any mac users have the new WDTV. I currently do the sneakernet once a week or so to add content to usb drive. Would simply love to mount the attached drive on my mac over the network and just drop files where I want.

Thanks.

OS X has nearly always been able to mount samba shares. OS X itself should automatically detect the WDTV. The only delay will be if you change USB drive - it takes a few minutes for the Samba shares to be recreated.

October 13, 2009, 09:35:28 PM
Reply #33

voltagex

The manual says an attached drive can act as a network drive. Do you know if you can set ALL attached drives as network shares?

How fast is copying from the WDTV Live to a laptop (all over ethernet via a router)? I hope its as fast as it should be  :-\

Think I might get one this week. But I am really hoping it can be modded so streaming from other websites can be done.

I only have one drive, but it creates Samba shares automatically when plugging in drives (I use a hotswap caddy) so should be no problem.
Modding will happen when I can dump the firmware. I hope I can plug a TTL (serial) cable in to this. I will wait til a second person dumps the firmware so I can check that my dump is ok.

Copies happen at 8-9mb/s, so yes, that's about as quick as you can expect.

October 13, 2009, 09:37:07 PM
Reply #34

voltagex

To anyone else with a Live, now is the time to start modding. Disassembly is the same as the WDTV. I need firmware and checksums!
Edit: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=1003&lang=en Nothing up on the downloads page yet.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:42:26 PM by voltagex »

October 14, 2009, 03:02:11 AM
Reply #35

robin of the greenwood

If you or someone else can provide a colour test file, I will test on my PC and on the WDTV (connected via HDMI

An excellent test file can be found here:

http://www.cypheros.de/dvb_e.html

Just copy this link:

http://www.cypheros.de/files/Testbild_colour_description_alternating_120sec.ts

This two-minute test file shows a static image and alternates between flagged HD and unflagged HD.  If the device being tested defaults into the HD colour space when given an unflagged HD file the image should appear completely unchanged throughout the test.  If however the device receives an unflagged HD file and defaults into the SD colour space you will notice an obvious colour change back and forth every two seconds throughout the test.  The original WDTV incorrectly defaults into the SD colour space when given an unflagged HD file, and as expected, cycles between these two different colour spaces. 

Thanks,

Looking forward to your test.

October 14, 2009, 06:08:58 AM
Reply #36

spanik

Code: [Select]
To anyone else with a Live, now is the time to start modding. Disassembly is the same as the WDTV. I need firmware and checksums!
Happy to help, but is there a way to do it without disassembly/soldering..... ? (ie booting up in a hidden/special menu and dumping it into a file
Just asking this, as I am new in the WD TV world (Have a Live but didn't have the non Live version before hand), and not aware of how if was done in the first place.

Cheers
WD TV Live + QNAP TS-419P (4*2Tb RAID5)

October 14, 2009, 08:56:56 AM
Reply #37

chauncey

Easy to answer without a wdtv live

3) Like WDTV1. Yes, but without menu (at the moment).

@voltagex
It seems, that wd has integrated more zoom-options and 1.1x and 1.2x are included. Got this info from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17338581&postcount=441.

Voltagex - can you confirm the response to #3?  Is there full iso support but no menus?

Thanks.

October 14, 2009, 10:36:23 AM
Reply #38

ElCapitano

Q: Movies on NAS streams via DLNA on the new device, but can you confirm the containers supported?

Thanx mate
Using Lacie 5Big and PS3. But the WDTV Live is a possible change

October 14, 2009, 05:41:58 PM
Reply #39

voltagex

Q: Movies on NAS streams via DLNA on the new device, but can you confirm the containers supported?

Thanx mate
Using Lacie 5Big and PS3. But the WDTV Live is a possible change

Streaming to or from the Live via DLNA?

All containers that it supports are playable, but as I said before DLNA support on the Live itself is VERY buggy.

October 15, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
Reply #40

ElCapitano

To the Live from NAS via DLNA...
Buggy DLNA: Thats sad.. :'(  How so?
Would you have any recommendations how to stream from NAS otherwise?

October 15, 2009, 01:16:31 AM
Reply #41

voltagex

Videos don't play via DLNA, only the audio plays. MP3s play but are not shown on the Now Playing screen.
NAS via Samba to the Live works well.

October 15, 2009, 02:33:58 AM
Reply #42

marrvin

curious if any mac users have the new WDTV. ... Would simply love to mount the attached drive on my mac over the network and just drop files where I want.

Yes it works. I have an NTFS formatted 500gig WD Elite attached to the WDTV Life and its volume name shows up as
as a folder name on the server "WDTVLIVE" in the finder.

Copy files to this share works quite well.
Unfortunately the WDTV does'n accept iTunes as Media Server  but it connects to Twonky running on my QNap NAS.

October 15, 2009, 05:19:34 AM
Reply #43

brajr

Just wondering I don't know if the hardware is the same as original WDTV is ,but can you use the updates from WDTV live on WDTV 1 ? or is their going to be a compatible issue.

October 15, 2009, 11:50:14 AM
Reply #44

CrashX

How is the power consumption on this ?

Were you able to play Youtube HD videos ?