Author Topic: I have a WDTV Live, ask me anything.  (Read 22703 times)

October 11, 2009, 04:07:03 AM
Read 22703 times

voltagex

Skycomp here in Australia just started selling the WDTV live, I got one so ask me anything.
A lot of you appear to be in different timezones to me so bear with me as I need sleep!

User guide is available: http://drop.io/wdtvlive (thanks tj32, discussion here)
LIST OF COMPATIBLE Wi-Fi Adaptors (802.11G/N) http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2356.msg18751#msg18751

* Networking appears to be very locked down, although Samba works great, and the transfer speed is 9-10mb/s.

* The uPNP implementation is BROKEN, and can cause multiple videos to start playing at the same time.

* In the config menus, there is mention of wireless/wireless adaptors. I tried a TP-Link stick but it wasn't detected (rt2570 chipset)

* I'm not confident that we can modify this without an exploit of some kind, although I'm fairly sure WD will have to release some source code for it.

* WD won't allow you to use streaming audio, except from Live365, who they've obviously partnered with for a substantial amount of money >:( - nice move, jerks.

* You can stream from a Samba share

* You can start playing the file from the hard drive while it is still copying

* uPNP streaming *to* the device works, but is flaky.

* Youtube client, defaults to playing the HD version of the video if it's available.

* I'm pretty sure the zoom options are 2,4,8,16

* No NFS, it automatically shares any drive connected via SMB

* Both USB ports are USB2, have not tested hubs with them.

* 2x,4x,8x,16x fast forward options @ playback.

Just to clarify, my TV supports 50, 60 and 100hz, I will double check what the WDTVL is displaying when I get home.

If I've missed anything, feel free to ask.

Code: [Select]
Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-10-09 19:37 AUS Eastern Daylight Time

Interesting ports on 10.1.1.4:
Not shown: 65525 closed ports

PORT      STATE SERVICE     VERSION
139/tcp   open  netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
445/tcp   open  netbios-ssn Samba smbd 3.X (workgroup: WORKGROUP)
1357/tcp  open  pegboard?
3689/tcp  open  http        mt-daapd httpd 0.2.4.2
|_ html-title: 401 Unauthorized
|  http-auth: HTTP Service requires authentication
|    Auth type: Basic, realm = webserver
|_   HTTP server may accept admin:admin combination for Basic authentication

10245/tcp open  unknown
10247/tcp open  unknown
52410/tcp open  tcpwrapped
52979/tcp open  tcpwrapped
57014/tcp open  tcpwrapped
57991/tcp open  tcpwrapped

Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.6.X
OS details: Linux 2.6.9 - 2.6.28
Network Distance: 1 hop

Host script results:

|_ nbstat: NetBIOS name: WDTVLIVE, NetBIOS user: , NetBIOS MAC:
|  smb-os-discovery: Unix
|  LAN Manager: Samba 3.0.28a
|  Name: WORKGROUP\Unknown
|_ System time: 2000-01-01 12:10:42 UTC+0

edit: added additional information from my other post. This is starting to get a bit long!
PS. That is a *lot* of views on this post!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:40:06 PM by voltagex »

October 11, 2009, 04:14:42 AM
Reply #1

mrg

Congratulations on your purchase.  ;D So no NFS support?

October 11, 2009, 04:36:48 AM
Reply #2

Drd

Hey gratz for your new piece of kit, too bad they almost abandoned the original WD TV. Where on our own now with modded firmware and such  :P

October 11, 2009, 10:05:45 AM
Reply #3

Feedhorn

Question:

Can your access and update the drives connected to the WDTV via the LAN connection?

My goal is to have wireless access to the WDTV drives so I can watch movies stored there on my portable laptop display.

Also: Does the WDTV Live support USB hubs with multiple drives?

FH

October 11, 2009, 11:19:23 AM
Reply #4

timeey

What about 23.976/24Hz mode? In the youtube interface-video of the wdtv live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdSLOhrVMc) there is no setting for resolution/frequency. So what happened if you start a file with 24fps (you have a tv with 24p support?)? Is the playback at 24hz judderfree?

What zoom-options do you have at movie-playback? Again 2x,4x,... like the old wdtv or 1.1x,1.2x and something like that?

October 11, 2009, 12:04:49 PM
Reply #5

voltagex

* No NFS, it automatically shares any drive connected via SMB
* Both USB ports are USB2, have not tested hubs with them.
* No idea about 24hz, my TV detects it as 60hz (PAL).

* 2x,4x,8x,16x fast forward options @ playback.

too bad they almost abandoned the original WD TV.

There's nothing on the website about the new WDTV either :P

October 11, 2009, 01:01:45 PM
Reply #6

timeey

PAL is 50Hz. ;)

And i meant the zoom, not fast forward/rewind. You can find zoom in the options-menu by pressing the option-button.

October 11, 2009, 02:24:24 PM
Reply #7

mrg

Is the network connection only for uploading data to a HD attached to the WDTV, or can you stream from a network shared (samba) drive?

October 11, 2009, 04:20:18 PM
Reply #8

timeey

Sure it is also for streaming. Copy files is just a nice addon, but the main point of the network is streaming.

October 11, 2009, 07:14:48 PM
Reply #9

voltagex

* You can stream from a Samba share
* You can start playing the file from the hard drive while it is still copying
* uPNP streaming *to* the device works, but is flaky.
* Youtube client, defaults to playing the HD version of the video if it's available.
* I'm pretty sure the zoom options are 2,4,8,16

Just to clarify, my TV supports 50, 60 and 100hz, I will double check what the WDTVL is displaying when I get home.

October 11, 2009, 11:20:55 PM
Reply #10

Demo

In the manual I can see that the live has an online registration function. Is this online registration mandatory or can it be skipped?

I wonder if WDTV contacts any Western Digital servers (or any other servers) without the knowledge and permission of the user. To upload usage statistics for example. I would really hate to have a device that phones home and violates my privacy.
voltagex, can you see any suspicious online activities of the WDTV live?

October 12, 2009, 01:11:13 AM
Reply #11

JustMarioBros

This is basically the questions that will determine whether I buy a WD or a Popcorn Hour...

1) Does the WDTVL play 1080p with DTS audio through HDMI? Or does it still require the Optical audio cable to be plugged in?

2) Does it support Thumbnail pictures for labeling the movies?

3) Does it play ISO files? And BluRay rips?

Other question I would just like to know;

Will it be customizable like Popcorn Hour products? I know they have some skins that replace the ugly UI.

Thanks in advance.

October 12, 2009, 01:45:49 AM
Reply #12

3dxr

• Global Moderator

In the manual I can see that the live has an online registration function. Is this online registration mandatory or can it be skipped?

I wonder if WDTV contacts any Western Digital servers (or any other servers) without the knowledge and permission of the user. To upload usage statistics for example. I would really hate to have a device that phones home and violates my privacy.
voltagex, can you see any suspicious online activities of the WDTV live?

only best way is have legal content or network player on separate VLAN all products are refering to home
like a GOOGLE /adsense or gmaps or other COOL/F..ck Google products but they have really easy to use products
for example Xstreamer is providing has own subdomain under xstreamer. domain where user can share some stuff or manage player
cool reverse channel into LAN :D

hidden stat posting is more dangerous for residental privacy  like mandatory registration on Live365 or Pandora or youtube also Google F,,,g project if you want rate or save own playlist.

Thats my oppinion on privacy in MNT segment - this is not only for WDTV this is in general

October 12, 2009, 02:08:50 AM
Reply #13

timeey

This is basically the questions that will determine whether I buy a WD or a Popcorn Hour...

1) Does the WDTVL play 1080p with DTS audio through HDMI? Or does it still require the Optical audio cable to be plugged in?

2) Does it support Thumbnail pictures for labeling the movies?

3) Does it play ISO files? And BluRay rips?

Other question I would just like to know;

Will it be customizable like Popcorn Hour products? I know they have some skins that replace the ugly UI.

Thanks in advance.

Easy to answer without a wdtv live

1) DTS-passthrough worked over HDMI with the old wdtv, too. So that's not a new feature. DTS Downmix is also supported for people without a receiver.

2) Like WDTV1. New is the VideoPreview-Listmode. Here you can see a walkthrough of the wdtv live interface: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdSLOhrVMc

3) Like WDTV1. Yes, but without menu (at the moment).

4) Dont think so. Maybe just with a modified firmware like for the wdtv1.

@voltagex
It seems, that wd has integrated more zoom-options and 1.1x and 1.2x are included. Got this info from http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=17338581&postcount=441.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 02:20:29 AM by timeey »

October 12, 2009, 10:41:51 AM
Reply #14

savant

Is the firmware included on the CD that came with the box? Really interested in taking a look at the file.

savant