Author Topic: WDTV won't see any AVI files native or converted  (Read 9517 times)

October 10, 2009, 06:32:23 PM
Read 9517 times

PrestonRich

I have hundreds of hours of AVI files recorded in 1080i on miniDV tapes and saved for viewing on WDTV.  The files were recorded from my Sony HDR-HC1 camcorder using Nero 9 Vision.  However, WDTV refuses to see any of the files whatsoever whether as the original AVI's or whether converted by ArcSoft Mediaconverter 2.5 or Mediaconverter 3.0 (which I just wasted my money on and bought) for the WDTV.  It seems I can save the AVI's as mp4's but only in 640x480.  What am I likely doing wrong here?  I've wasted many hours on this seemingly hopeless project.  However, the WDTV does see the 720p files saved from my new Lumix HG1 just fine without any conversion at all.  What gives? 

October 10, 2009, 07:37:19 PM
Reply #1

PrestonRich

As a note to the above I'm running the 1.02.07 version of the firmware.

October 10, 2009, 10:14:31 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Run mediainfo on them and post the results so we can see whats up.

Also try to convert them to mkvs withx264 with meGUI (its free) ans see if that works.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 11, 2009, 08:49:42 AM
Reply #3

PrestonRich

Sorry. What is Mediainfo?  Is it a program I need to buy.  I just downloaded meeGUI and will work on the x264 (whatever that is).  This is all new to me.   Sorry.

October 11, 2009, 09:37:33 AM
Reply #4

PrestonRich

Jayallen--

In meeGUI I'm getting an "illegal filename" when I try to convert the AVI file to MKV.  Also don't know what encoder and extention settings to use.  Thanks.

October 11, 2009, 10:12:54 AM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
MediaInfo supplies technical and tag information about a video or audio file.
It is free software (free of charge and free access to source code: GPL or LGPL licence)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 11, 2009, 02:51:57 PM
Reply #6

PrestonRich

JayAllen--

The MediaInfo file for one of my files refused by WDTV.  I tried to attach this file but the system wouldn't let me do it for some reason.  I appended it here instead.  Thanks.

General
Complete name                    : E:\Home Movies and Photos - Preston\2009\1 NYC Jan 09.avi
Format                           : AVI
Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                   : OpenDML
File size                        : 3.20 GiB
Duration                         : 15mn 51s
Overall bit rate                 : 28.9 Mbps
Recorded date                    : 2008-12-30 12:45:26

Video
ID                               : 0
Format                           : Digital Video
Bit rate                         : 28.8 Mbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate mode                  : Constant
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Colorimetry                      : 4:1:1
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 2.778
Stream size                      : 3.19 GiB (100%)
Encoding settings                : ae mode=full automatic / wb mode=automatic / white balance= / fcm=manual focus

Audio
ID                               : 0-0
Format                           : PCM
Muxing mode                      : DV
Muxing mode, more info           : Muxed in Video #1
Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 16 bits
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)

October 11, 2009, 03:51:20 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I am guessing that your problem is with the audio portion of the file.  Try using ripbot264 http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipBot264

Convert it into an mkv or mp4.  See if that works.

October 12, 2009, 06:45:31 AM
Reply #8

PrestonRich

JayAllen--

The AVI files hang up on "muxing" using RipBot264.  Conversion process runs all night on a 3gb files and still sits on "muxing" in the morning.  I aborted it.  Where from here?  Thanks.

October 12, 2009, 10:41:19 AM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
There is definitely something out of spec with those files.    DO you have Premiere or Final Cut?  I would import them into one of those and then output it as a full rez (in spec) avi or MOV then you should be able to both play them and convert them from there.

October 12, 2009, 11:00:39 AM
Reply #10

PrestonRich

JayAllen--

I know precious little about editing film.  I have neither program.  Which of the two programs you suggest would be cheaper/better for a neophyte like me?

October 12, 2009, 11:15:06 AM
Reply #11

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I recommend you pick up Adobe Premiere.  You can get the previous version (CS3) and it will work fine for you.  Just create a project file in the resolution of your footage IE HDV 1080i.  Then import your clips and drag them to the timeline.  Then export them to either a MOV file or an AVI.  you wont loose any quality, and they will be in spec.  From there you can compress, convert, or just watch them as is on the WDTV. 

Another option might be Sony Vegas.  Its cheaper, but I am not sure how it exports and how compatible it is with incoming movie files. I would guess that it would work however.

I was thinking about buying a Lumix HG1 myself.  I have all Nikon lenses though and I am not sure how good the adapters are for it.   

October 12, 2009, 12:16:01 PM
Reply #12

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
The WDTV does not support the DV or HDV formats in it's spec.

Have a look at this post in my 'blog' and see if it helps you: http://mrlazy.wordpress.com/2009/08/14/converting-dv-files-to-play-on-the-wd-tv/

Your mediainfo output looks perfectly normal for a DV file.  I'm a bit puzzled though - you have a HD camcorder capable of 1440x1080i - why is the file only 720x480 (ie. SD)?
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

October 12, 2009, 04:04:05 PM
Reply #13

PrestonRich

Mr Lazy - I read your blog but am not sufficiently tech or video informed to make much practical use or sense of it.  Are you saying that my WDTV will not play my hi def videos?  I set up Nero 9 Vision to receive the feed from my Sony HDR-HC1 camcorder miniDV tapes recorded in 1080i.  Is this a hopeless case for the HDTV?  The HDTV documentation and salesman said it would play1080i.

If the HDTV will work for me I'll go buy Adobe Premier and try that.  So far none of my 1080i videos have been able to convert to show on the WDTV...and I've used a number of the recommended converters mentioned in this thread.  Don't know what else to do now.

October 12, 2009, 04:30:35 PM
Reply #14

PrestonRich

Nero 9 Vision's | Capture Video from Tape, provided no options when connected to the Sony HDR-HC1.  It locked on "Microsoft AV/C Tape Subunit" as the capture device and MPEG-2 for native capturing (all other options greyed out).  The resultang file it created was an MPG file and while it played on the WDTV it was obviously in LO Res.  Is this hopeless?