Author Topic: NEW wdtv LIVE- Whats expected? What do you guys reckon?  (Read 22299 times)

October 13, 2009, 01:31:39 AM
Reply #15

lilibabe

• http://wdtv.free.fr/
an internet conenction can update the player see the manual. no usb stick needed

I know this, it's not the question i asked !

Is it possible to update the WDTV Live with a usb stick too ? -> which implies that the wdtv.bin file (or another file) is available for modders...
If you appreciate my work and want to contribute, feel free to donate at http://wdtv.free.fr/

October 13, 2009, 04:08:36 AM
Reply #16

tech324

an internet conenction can update the player see the manual. no usb stick needed

Is it possible to update the WDTV Live with a usb stick too ? -> which implies that the wdtv.bin file (or another file) is available for modders...

I am wondering this also.  If you can only update from the internet, it might be very difficult if not impossible for modders to change the firmware.  If you can do it from the internet AND a usb stick, then maybe the new Live can be modded from the USB stick like the original WDTV. 

October 13, 2009, 05:23:51 AM
Reply #17

juliojs

• WDTV-osdMod

Yes, it's possible to upgrade it by the classic method, see page 150 from the user manual.

October 13, 2009, 08:20:58 PM
Reply #18

ScottWD

Yes, I kept the manual USB firmware upgrade feature in just for you! :) 

October 13, 2009, 09:03:26 PM
Reply #19

lilibabe

• http://wdtv.free.fr/
Good effort ScottWD, it's an honor for me  ;)
If you appreciate my work and want to contribute, feel free to donate at http://wdtv.free.fr/

October 14, 2009, 07:55:50 AM
Reply #20

daskino

welcome to the forum Scott, glad to see you here

will you upload the GPL code for  the player so that we can play it and maybe add a NFS client to it among other things.

October 14, 2009, 11:08:18 AM
Reply #21

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

Welcome to The forum SR :)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 14, 2009, 09:19:10 PM
Reply #22

ScottWD

welcome to the forum Scott, glad to see you here

will you upload the GPL code for  the player so that we can play it and maybe add a NFS client to it among other things.

GPL code is on the way.  Along with the current 1.01 firmware link.

October 14, 2009, 09:20:25 PM
Reply #23

ScottWD

Nice work on the site.  I sent you a PM earlier but no response did you not get it?   I want to send you something :)

October 14, 2009, 09:26:36 PM
Reply #24

matt314159

Nice work on the site.  I sent you a PM earlier but no response did you not get it?   I want to send you something :)
If this is the genuine ScottWD (sorry it's the internet, hard to tell sometimes if it's the real deal or some joker who registered the username), Just wanted to say THANKS for all you do, the original WDTV was nearly perfect.   THe new WDTV Live kicks the first box's butt out of the water thanks to all the improvements that are clearly based on carefully listening to customers' feedback.    The open source thing is fantastic and if there can be a community of modders for this box, I think it will help boost sales by developing such a loyal following.    Heck I bought the new box based on how well you guys obviously listened to custmer feedback, which is very important, and the community support for mods surrounding the first box. 

October 14, 2009, 10:25:06 PM
Reply #25

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
GPL code is on the way.  Along with the current 1.01 firmware link.

Excellent! Was hoping for this. My new WDTV Live will arrive today probably. Can't wait.

October 14, 2009, 10:44:17 PM
Reply #26

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

If this is the genuine ScottWD (sorry it's the internet, hard to tell sometimes if it's the real deal or some joker who registered the username), Just wanted to say THANKS for all you do, the original WDTV was nearly perfect. 

Matt  :)  I have confirmed the identities of the WD team members on this site. Their IP addresses and contact info are all correct.  Can't blame you for being skeptical though.  I vetted their IDs as soon as they started posting.   Cheers!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

October 14, 2009, 11:41:54 PM
Reply #27

matt314159

If this is the genuine ScottWD (sorry it's the internet, hard to tell sometimes if it's the real deal or some joker who registered the username), Just wanted to say THANKS for all you do, the original WDTV was nearly perfect.  

Matt  :)  I have confirmed the identities of the WD team members on this site. Their IP addresses and contact info are all correct.  Can't blame you for being skeptical though.  I vetted their IDs as soon as they started posting.   Cheers!

Awesome, thanks for clarifying.   Hey quick suggestion, I've seen this done on some vB forums before, not sure if it's something can be done on phpbb or not, but when somebody famous or important is the "real deal" they'll change the user title to "Honored Guest" or something to indicate that the forum admins acknowledge the validity of their identity.   As opposed to the "newbie" user title or whatever title is automatically changed to via post count.    

October 22, 2009, 04:36:23 PM
Reply #28

everri

Hello All,
I just bought a WDTV live, and I'm really happy with it.
This is my first experience with wdtv and I need some help with updating the firmware.
I followed all the steps, used 3 different flash drives (all formatted Fat32) and also my elements 1.5tb to try to have the box updated from its 1.01 to the newly launched 1.03 but it doesn't recognize the two files .bin and .ver carefully placed on the driver's root.
Also when I try to update online by clicking on the "update software" on HD System it connects to the internet and says something like "you have the lattest available update"; however this is not true cause when I check the current firmware it says 1.01....   
Looks like the "online update" option is not really working as of now.
 ??? Any help or suggestion please? Thanks. Eddie.

October 22, 2009, 04:56:24 PM
Reply #29

matt314159

to the newly launched 1.03
Not necessarily the right thread for this but I'll play ball.   The quoted portion of your post is the problem, I'm afraid you're confusing the firmware for the WDTV vs the WDTV Live. 

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2468.0 if this link is the firmwre you're trying to load it's no wonder it's not working, because it's for the original WDTV and not the new Live version.