Author Topic: NEW wdtv LIVE- Whats expected? What do you guys reckon?  (Read 22287 times)

October 10, 2009, 05:54:50 PM
Read 22287 times

Live

Hey guys,
What do you reckon about the new Live version that is coming out soon?
All I can see is it has a wired NIC built-in, for (at least) accessing shares.
What else do you reckon they will provide use for out of the box?

Yesterday I bought a WDTV, and now while reading up on how to install the custom firmware I appears this new one with built in NIC is coming out. I really want to have network access with it, but dont have a compatible interface. I think I'm going to take it back and get the new one when it comes out next week (hope its not much more $$).

I am hoping there will be some other hardware improvements, and possibly be able to access my hdd attached to it as a networked drive (and fast).

What potential do you think this WDTV LIVE has over the previous one? Will you upgrade?
Do you expect some homebrew firmware coming out for it?
Do you reckon the previous homebrew firmware will work?
Do you reckon WD will clamp down on these homebrew firmwares, and go out their way to lock down the device?

Any views/opinions would be good to hear guys.

October 10, 2009, 11:25:39 PM
Reply #1

hacksrus

According to new owners, it has quicker GUI, way bigger ref frames limit (Planet Earth test video, full 1080p@16rf plays smooth), youtube player, proper downmixing, passing through of DTS-MA and TrueHD... I am thrilled, and will probably sell the old one, and go with the new model... Let's wait a little longer.

October 10, 2009, 11:28:48 PM
Reply #2

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Option play own LAN or local net radio stations - free choice not like some players which supporting only listenning over DLNA servers

October 11, 2009, 01:35:53 AM
Reply #3

lilibabe

• http://wdtv.free.fr/
Have you seen this video on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdSLOhrVMc

Faster and smoother navigation...
If you appreciate my work and want to contribute, feel free to donate at http://wdtv.free.fr/

October 11, 2009, 01:59:49 AM
Reply #4

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Didn't know it was for sale already. Looks nice. Especially the preview and youtube. So the new xml files for preview/file management were actually for the live edition.

October 11, 2009, 02:22:28 AM
Reply #5

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Ok, just bought one! Can't wait!

Very weird that they don't advertise it yet on the their website. Can't find any info at all, but it's already in the stores here.

October 11, 2009, 05:32:46 AM
Reply #6

andy1911

i will prolly buy one but will wait to see how they play with mkv files any sync issues ect.

October 11, 2009, 07:34:20 AM
Reply #7

speedbal

Have you seen this video on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdSLOhrVMc

Faster and smoother navigation...

Sorry for the quality of the video guys (but my iPhone is all I had available to shoot video).  The interface is indeed faster and seems much more polished.

It played that 16 reframe sample of Planet Earth without issues. 

ScottWD just posted on avs that it is using the Sigma 8655 chip.

Throughly enjoying my purchase so far.  Can't wait to see what you guys come up with...

speedbal

October 11, 2009, 08:52:28 AM
Reply #8

Stinkpickle

Makes you wonder how well the kids at Bestbuy will check the box if you happen to mistakenly put a WDTV in a WDTV Live box and returned it.

October 12, 2009, 12:22:32 PM
Reply #9

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
and possibly be able to access my hdd attached to it as a networked drive (and fast).

It does support that, but I doubt it will be fast (compared to a half-decent NAS for example).

Do you reckon WD will clamp down on these homebrew firmwares, and go out their way to lock down the device?

I would be very surprised if WD do that.  They didn't do it with v1, so why do it with v2?  After all, the ability to mod the box has probably helped sell more.  Besides, what else is the 512MB of flash for?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:31:21 PM by Mr Lazy »
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

October 12, 2009, 06:01:32 PM
Reply #10

tech324

I just purchased the new WD TV Live Media Player.  I hope it can work with a custom firmware like the original.  It would be great to get wireless to work on it.

October 12, 2009, 06:04:09 PM
Reply #11

tech324

Makes you wonder how well the kids at Bestbuy will check the box if you happen to mistakenly put a WDTV in a WDTV Live box and returned it.

I took my WDTV V1 back to the store since I bought it less than 30 days ago and the new one came out.  When I took it back they checked over everything and made sure the serial numbers on the WDTV matched the box so I probably wouldn't do this.

October 13, 2009, 12:05:38 AM
Reply #12

daskino

One big reason for hombrew on this new Live, is that is doe not support NFS. Therefore many of us with WDTV and NFS servers would like to see that implemented into the new player. I hear however that SMB is working rather well with this player, but still woul like ot use fast NFS udp on this new baby.

October 13, 2009, 12:21:26 AM
Reply #13

lilibabe

• http://wdtv.free.fr/
Is it possible to update the box with usb stick or is it just with an internet conenction ?
If you appreciate my work and want to contribute, feel free to donate at http://wdtv.free.fr/

October 13, 2009, 12:30:56 AM
Reply #14

daskino

an internet conenction can update the player see the manual. no usb stick needed