Author Topic: How to play subtitles?  (Read 15712 times)

June 02, 2009, 07:44:06 PM
Reply #15

activoice

Hi there,

been reading the various posts and threads on subs for WDTV.
My problem: for certain files, I need multi-language subs.
At first, I just ripped the dvd with dvd decrypter; can play in WDTV, but no subs.
Then, I used VobSub to extract the wanted subs in idx and sub files, placed those in the dvd folder: no subs on screen.
Next, I created an .avi, and made sure to name the idx and sub exactly the same; still no subs in WDTV
So I used MMGui to mux avi/idx/sub into one mkv file. Now, my WDTV recognizes there are subs, it even says which language, but still no subs on screen.
When I play the mkv in my pc with VLC, I can toggle between the different subs, no problem there...
So now the time is come to say
Help!
anyone?

I had the best luck with Subs in MKV by first using Subtitle Workshop to convert the subs to the Advanced Sub Station Alpha format (basically load them in, then save as, this changes the formatting, and saves with a .ass extension)  you can open the new .ass file in a text editor to verify the output..

Then I used MKVMerge Gui to merge the subs with the MKV, be sure to set the language in the pulldown after you add all of the subs.  (I've never done multiple subs, but looks straightforward)

Anyways not saying this is the proper/only way, just that I had good results doing it this way...

June 03, 2009, 10:10:34 AM
Reply #16

HDveggie

I had the best luck with Subs in MKV by first using Subtitle Workshop to convert the subs to the Advanced Sub Station Alpha format (basically load them in, then save as, this changes the formatting, and saves with a .ass extension)  you can open the new .ass file in a text editor to verify the output..

The .sub file won't open in SW. If it were only the English subs I wanted, I'd just use SubRip to make .srt, which is a little bit more elaborate, but always has worked for me in the past. But I also need Thai subs for my wife. Possible with SubRip, but I'm not getting into that ;-) Especially when it should be so easy with VobSub.
I'm suspecting it has to do something with the color scheme, but I don't know.
Weird that VLC displays them, and not the WDTV. Maybe in one of the next firmware updates...
Thanks anyway for your reply. :)

July 30, 2009, 11:02:24 PM
Reply #17

skywalkerz

Hi guys,

is it just me or doesn't subs really work with vob-files? For something like 1 out of 20 subs it's working and it's pretty anoying. It reminds me of the problems i had with my Apple TV...  >:(

Why can't the box just activate the files in a video_ts folder like a computer and find all the right audio and subs, instead of having to go in and activate the right file out sometimes up to a 100 files. If You're a newbie i guess this could kill your interest for the box...

January 28, 2010, 01:40:33 PM
Reply #18

amunoz_tico

Dear friends,

Any experience with XSUB subtitles format  (embedded / inserted / incorporated in the video file itself).   All my DivX & Xvid movies work fine with PS3.  However, any embedded subtitles do not work with WDTV.

-- Does WDTV have support to XSUB subtitles? Can you help me to resolve this issue?

Best Regards !!

--
NOTE:
Using the AVIAddXSubs (get it here http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php), you can embedded the SRT subtitle in the Avi/DivX/Xvid file.