Author Topic: How to play subtitles?  (Read 15706 times)

February 10, 2009, 03:41:48 PM
Read 15706 times

--B--

Hi all.

I have a .AVI file in a folder on my external HD and within this folder i have the .SRT file.

However i can work out how to get this to appear when watching the film? I press 'options' and select the subtitles button while watching the movie but oll i get is "No subtitiles" or something similar.

Am i doing something wrong?

How do i get subtitles to play with my WDTV?

Thanks for you help!

February 10, 2009, 03:52:37 PM
Reply #1

--B--

ok ive read the FAQ and it seems im doing the right thing.

However when i select the subtitles icon it does not give me an option to enable subtitles.

Any ideas?

February 11, 2009, 09:38:23 PM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
make sure the subtitles file has the exact same name as the avi file.  Same case as well.  That should do it.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 31, 2009, 05:42:46 AM
Reply #3

Monteplus3

Hello, does this work the same way for MKV files?  I converted a .sup file to .srt using suprip, but no matter where I place the file, the WD device cannot seem to find it. 

March 31, 2009, 11:16:56 AM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
With MKV Files use MEGUI to combine the subtitles into the MKV container.   They will then be one file. This works with multiple subtitle track as well.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 03, 2009, 02:26:46 PM
Reply #5

Monteplus3

Can you provide a little guidance as to how to do this?  I have muxed the video and audio file into one, but I was unable to locate any files the subtitle part of the process would read.  Thanks.

April 04, 2009, 08:22:30 PM
Reply #6

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
    Be a RockStar in Your Life!
    • Become an Internet Marketing Consultant
Here is what Waterlooscp said in another post:

"The problems with the subtitles could be easy fixed by converting the .srt files to .ssa files.

This change could be easily made with the subtitle workshop. Only takes 5 seconds (is a save as).

After that process the subtitles will work like a charm."

I havent tried this yet since im still waiting for my WD to arrive. but this is what I plan on doing.

www.MakeTheWorldYourStage.com
Be a RockStar in Your Life,
& Make The World Your Stage!

Dr. Dan

http://OfflineRockStarAcademy.com

April 16, 2009, 04:42:54 PM
Reply #7

Monteplus3

After putting the BD on the hard drive with Slysoft, I cannot figure out how to bring in the subtitles.  No files with a recognized file suffix (.srt, etc) show.  All BD apparently have .sup files.  Is there any way to incorporate subtitles when converting to MKV?  Thanks

April 22, 2009, 08:58:44 AM
Reply #8

Koolhog

Hello fellow WDTV users

I have read some of the posts here about the subtitles but I have to be completely honest and say that I am confused !

I never seem to be able to get the subtitles on:

I recently converetd the film "Hero" the diaglogue being chinese with a recomended converter from www.makemkv.com but cant get the subs on. Did I miss something when I was converting? The converted file plays on my computer and I am able to put the subs on using classic player but not the case with WDTV.

Also I updated with the latest firmware (17.4.09) and go to settings but I dont see any update icon either? Perhaps I already have the updated version installed but I am at a loss here with this too. When it says place the new files from the firmware into the hard drive directory does that mean the file that says wd.tv? Sorry I know this might sound stupid to you more experienced users out there but at the moment my efforts have been about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike !!!

Can any one help me and give me an "Idiots guide".

Otherwise the WDTV box is a amazing and well worth the money.

Discovering this site has also been a blessing!!!

Many thanks   

April 28, 2009, 08:42:14 PM
Reply #9

kwanbis

You just put them with the video file on the same folder. For example:

Chuck 101 Pilot.Dvdrip.Reward.avi
Chuck 101 Pilot.Dvdrip.Reward.Ar.srt
Chuck 101 Pilot.Dvdrip.Reward.En.srt

first is argentinean subtitle, second is english.

I don't know about case sensitivines, but it could be true, so no harm on using the same case.

May 02, 2009, 05:03:49 AM
Reply #10

Monteplus3

Can anyone tell me how to mux two or more subtitle files when you get to the final step in MeGUI?  When I go to the MKV Muxer step, I only see the option to mux one file, even though I have two subtitle files I would like to bring into the final MKV file.  Thanks.

May 09, 2009, 06:11:05 AM
Reply #11

MrMod

You should use mkvtoolnix instead of MeGUI.  mkvtoolnix is the official toolset and always has the latest developments.

May 10, 2009, 05:11:10 PM
Reply #12

Monteplus3

are the processes for MKVtoolnix the same as for Megui; does a tutorial exist somewhere, or is it fairly easy to figure out on your own?

May 11, 2009, 06:14:11 AM
Reply #13

MrMod

Pretty simple.  Drag and drop your source files to the top pane.  The streams will be shown in the bottom pane.  Uncheck the streams you don't want, and then click Start muxing.  The video and audio streams should typically be the first tracks in the mkv with subtitle tracks at the bottom.  Version 2.8.0 of mkvtoolnix is out that includes a VobSub (idx/sub) muxing fix.

June 01, 2009, 05:10:50 AM
Reply #14

HDveggie

Hi there,

been reading the various posts and threads on subs for WDTV.
My problem: for certain files, I need multi-language subs.
At first, I just ripped the dvd with dvd decrypter; can play in WDTV, but no subs.
Then, I used VobSub to extract the wanted subs in idx and sub files, placed those in the dvd folder: no subs on screen.
Next, I created an .avi, and made sure to name the idx and sub exactly the same; still no subs in WDTV
So I used MMGui to mux avi/idx/sub into one mkv file. Now, my WDTV recognizes there are subs, it even says which language, but still no subs on screen.
When I play the mkv in my pc with VLC, I can toggle between the different subs, no problem there...
So now the time is come to say
Help!
anyone?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:19:51 AM by HDveggie »