Author Topic: REQ v1.02.04 Power Management of external hdd  (Read 4797 times)

April 15, 2009, 12:54:21 AM
Read 4797 times

bogdansat

Please do something with this, the external mybook (i think also the others external hdd's) connected to WDTV always spins, please make him shutdown along with the WDTV.

Thank you,

April 15, 2009, 01:38:49 AM
Reply #1

mm1964

I agree completely. I just purchased this WD TV expecting complete compatability with WD own external drives.

I have a 1tb My Book Essential and am shocked/annoyed to see that the drive does not power off when the WD TV is powered off.

This is making think I should return this and swap for something that has an internal drive and optional external drive.

April 15, 2009, 10:22:19 AM
Reply #2

byte0468

Power management missing feature is simply ridiculous! Nobody wants his hard drive spinning 24/7 if there is no need to.

This is a must to be implemented!

April 15, 2009, 04:23:31 PM
Reply #3

shemilio

Power management missing feature is simply ridiculous! Nobody wants his hard drive spinning 24/7 if there is no need to.

This is a must to be implemented!

I think that it is not necessary to describe WDTV decisions in such way.

April 17, 2009, 09:02:32 AM
Reply #4

MacSimon

This isn't something that should have to be part of a 'feature request'. It should have been designed as part of the fundamental setup for this device. At least with 1.01, even though having to eject the drive is a bit of a pain, at least it spins down and the cable can then be pulled out. With all the current Beta firmware, which are supposed to be improved versions of what we already have, the drive never stops spinning. Yes, I'd prefer to only eject the drive when I need to add/remove files from it, and until then it powers down completely when I turn the WD off and back up again when I turn it back on, but I'll live with having to eject it each time I finish watching as long as I don't have to yank the power/usb cable out mid spin!

April 17, 2009, 01:32:28 PM
Reply #5

rgordon

Please do something with this, the external mybook (i think also the others external hdd's) connected to WDTV always spins, please make him shutdown along with the WDTV.

I agree entirely. We all want to save energy and the planet. Please please please make it a priority. This is surely more important than pretty thumbnails or subtitles!?

April 17, 2009, 01:43:42 PM
Reply #6

rgordon

Thinking about this further, shouldn't there be an automatic power-down (for WD TV and HDD) when the unit is not used for a (adjustable) period of time just like my TV? I am sure I cannot be alone in forgetting to turn it off at night!

April 17, 2009, 01:54:56 PM
Reply #7

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
this is sort've a chipset issue guys. I've done some progress in putting drives to sleep completely, but placing the wdtv itself into low power standby probably isn't going to happen. Most likely I can stop all connected drives when the power is turned off, but no clue how it would work with different devices. I might look into the issue further, but I'm pretty busy atm.

April 17, 2009, 07:16:15 PM
Reply #8

shemilio

I agree with b-rad.cc.... that we have "hardware" limitations.

one suggestion I made some days ago was to be able to shutdown device (poweroff) just pressing OFF button more than 5 seconds (as example).

Just to be checked if feasible to do poweroff of WDTV and also that external HD can detect this state to stop itself.

Almost sure that to start WDTV again I would need to power cycle WDTV.

April 19, 2009, 08:24:25 PM
Reply #9

Jarcy

Hi chaps, could not agree more with the need to have external drives turned off when the WDTV is switched to standby mode by the remote.

I have a WD Essential drive and it powers off only when I turn off the WDTV at the socket, even though power to the WD Essential HDD is maintained via its own power adapter.

So in essence the WDTV is in fact turning off the external HDD but the only way to do this is to shut power off to the WDTV unit.

The question is, is this correctable via a firmware update or not ?  ??? If its impossible, we stop asking and move on...

April 20, 2009, 02:11:38 AM
Reply #10

tkay

Would there be any idea to implement an 'auto-eject' feature into the power button so that the drive would be ejected every time i press power off? It would at least stop the spinning?

April 20, 2009, 06:54:22 AM
Reply #11

gogosteve

Would there be any idea to implement an 'auto-eject' feature into the power button so that the drive would be ejected every time i press power off? It would at least stop the spinning?

Yep, that's all that needs doing really. Perhaps when the unit goes to the screensaver the WD player could spin the drive down. Often I fall asleep with the WD player still playing a film/show so this would be a great addition to the next firmware. Can't be hard to do surely?

April 22, 2009, 08:48:20 AM
Reply #12

GuyWD

As of 1.02.07, your drives should now spin down when your turn off your WDTV with the remote.

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvprerelease/

April 22, 2009, 03:06:42 PM
Reply #13

ibanez_australia

As of 1.02.07, your drives should now spin down when your turn off your WDTV with the remote.

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvprerelease/

Yes just tested 1.02.07 with a Freeagent 1 TB and the drive spins down immediately (and the drive light goes off) when hitting the power button on the WD TV remote, and starts spinning back immediately when I power back on - well done WD, I'm very pleased you made this change, and listened to the community.

April 22, 2009, 04:22:10 PM
Reply #14

Jarcy