Author Topic: REQ v1.02.04 Aspect Ratio Switching During Playback  (Read 5245 times)

April 14, 2009, 08:01:44 PM
Read 5245 times

Suggestologist

Please allow a way to change aspect ratio between "Widescreen" and "Normal" during the playback of a video. Some videos play better in one or the other of these options and there is no way to know until you start watching them.

Currently, I have to stop watching; then go to settings and change it; then go back through the menu system to the file I started before, and start it up again. It takes about 25 seconds, but it would be nice if I could just do it while watching the video, in a few button presses without having to stop the video.

Thanks for this new forum.

April 14, 2009, 10:05:10 PM
Reply #1

Sorna

I would love this feature as well.

I think this setting is intended to select the aspect ratio of the connected TV. That is probably why it is under the settings.

However as there is no feature to stretch the 4:3 video to fit 16:9 screens, some of us use the "Normal" setting to watch 4:3 videos on wide screen and it perfectly stretch. However if we keep the same setting to watch 16:9 videos we see black bars on top and bottom of the video. It is an inconvenience to go back to the settings and change. It would be great if we can change it during playback through the menu on top.

A better solution would be to have a fit screen (on top menu) with 3 options
1. Normal - display the way it is now.
2. Stretch to fit - The video is stretched to fit the screen.
3. Over scan to fit - The video is zoomed to fit the screen, but the video that fall off the screen is discarded.

Thanks a lot,
Sorna.

April 15, 2009, 12:00:05 AM
Reply #2

ibanez_australia

I would love this feature as well.

I think this setting is intended to select the aspect ratio of the connected TV. That is probably why it is under the settings.

However as there is no feature to stretch the 4:3 video to fit 16:9 screens, some of us use the "Normal" setting to watch 4:3 videos on wide screen and it perfectly stretch. However if we keep the same setting to watch 16:9 videos we see black bars on top and bottom of the video. It is an inconvenience to go back to the settings and change. It would be great if we can change it during playback through the menu on top.

A better solution would be to have a fit screen (on top menu) with 3 options
1. Normal - display the way it is now.
2. Stretch to fit - The video is stretched to fit the screen.
3. Over scan to fit - The video is zoomed to fit the screen, but the video that fall off the screen is discarded.

Thanks a lot,
Sorna.

I agree. I was just watching some 4:3 material recently and was quite disappointed to have both vertical and horizontal black bars displayed.

I have tried changing the WD TV setting from 'widescreen' to 'normal' and you mentioned above, and whilst it does fill the screen more, it is not displayed properly on my TV, and noticably stretches the imagine horizontally (ie. I have small black bars at the top and the bottom, and no black bars at the left and right - whereas there should be black bars at the left and right and none at the top and bottom).

Therefore giving the workaround is not adequate, and my preference to keep my WD TV set to widescreen, I agree there needs to be some options on how to display 4:3 content. My personal preference would be to use option 2 (I don't want to overscan and lose any image) and have vertical black bars, however I understand that some people like to have the entire screen filled and would prefer option 3, so I think the 3 options you listed should be implemented, and in my case Option 2 would be a big improvement.

April 15, 2009, 12:32:28 AM
Reply #3

WARAND

Just like to say i totally agree with the above suggestion.  This would be a great improvement.

Thanks for the awesome support thus far.

April 15, 2009, 06:21:58 AM
Reply #4

Sorna

I am copy pasting a request by eta10mcleod from another thread as it is the same issue discussed here

I would like to see Zoom-Settings the way MediaPlayer Classic has got them:

"Stretch to Screen"
"Touch Video from inside"
"Touch Video from outside"

Explanation:
"Stretch to Screen"
schould be clear, stretch the Movie to fill the Screen completely, don't care about Aspect Ratio...

"Touch Video from Inside"
shows the Complete Movie with black bars and no croping

"Touch Video from Outside"
zooms the Movie to fill the screen completely but doesn't change the Aspect ratio, good for 4:3 files with 16:9 Movies and black bars on a 16:9 TV (ugly, but some TV-Rips are only available this way...)

The "stretch to screen" is same as the option 2 "stretch to fit" in my post above (2nd post in this thread).
"Touch Video from Inside" is option 1 and it is the way the video is shown by default.
"Touch Video from Outside" is same as option 3 in my post, that is over scan to fit and discard the video that falls out side the screen.

Thanks,
Sorna.

April 15, 2009, 06:34:51 AM
Reply #5

Suggestologist

I agree with adding more aspect ratio options.

Just allow the aspect ratio to be changed while viewing the video. Rather than having to stop and go to settings to change it.

April 15, 2009, 07:31:03 AM
Reply #6

hungi

Just to clarify: aspect ratio and zoom is not the same:

April 15, 2009, 10:43:04 AM
Reply #7

3dxr

• Global Moderator

it will be fine if will be possible zoom+in aspect radio will be free like in Mediaplayer Clasic player
or in other players  everyone is able zoom with locked aspect radio to own LCD/TV size

ability change aspect ratio to other common 4:3 16:9 5:4 etc and unlock aspect ratio and free resize..
everyone will be happy

current zoom steps are limited solution

April 15, 2009, 03:53:07 PM
Reply #8

DaveG

it will be fine if will be possible zoom+in aspect radio will be free like in Mediaplayer Clasic player
or in other players  everyone is able zoom with locked aspect radio to own LCD/TV size

ability change aspect ratio to other common 4:3 16:9 5:4 etc and unlock aspect ratio and free resize..
everyone will be happy

current zoom steps are limited solution

Unfortunately random aspect ratio is reqaired. Why ?
The LCD can do this alone ... BUT in this way the subtitles are out of the screen. WD need random sub position ( UP / DONW )  if we talking about LCD aspect ratio function !!

April 17, 2009, 12:21:19 PM
Reply #9

3dxr

• Global Moderator

nope will be not out of screen only aspect ratio will be changed on movie
subtitles are not part of movie and they are drawed over movie always to visible area

you should check how DMArenderr is working

April 18, 2009, 03:57:57 AM
Reply #10

kwaazaar

Agree on this feature. Furthermore: when I use AUTO the subtitles are displayed in the black bars, but my TV stretches the image, causing the 2nd subtitle-line to be unreadable making this mode useless. Btw: I use a CRT-tv.

April 20, 2009, 06:03:58 PM
Reply #11

pomigit

This request gets my vote, big issue for me. Especially considering the number of movies these days that use wider aspect ratios then Widescreen tv's which means you still end up with black bars. On my xbox 360 I can choose to expand to make the video fit, this chops off the ends but its a fuller picture. This option would be very useful as would being able to expand a 4:3 image to 16:9

April 20, 2009, 09:09:37 PM
Reply #12

Gamblerspirit

THis Feature is important for Plasma TV user also..need to have to avoid black bar at sides or bottom.

April 20, 2009, 10:34:04 PM
Reply #13

Bazmondo

Agreed.  It would be great to see in a future update to have the ability to change aspect ratio in the video options menu without having to exit and return to the settings menu.

Can anyone confirm if this is planned or possible as it seems many people would like to see this as well as an option to change the audio on the fly.

Cheers

Baz

April 30, 2009, 06:35:31 AM
Reply #14

Avijeet

• Personal Text
    WHY SO SERIOUS ?
Oh Ye...

Stretch to Fit...
and Anamorphic view without the aspect ration would be perfect......

LG PLASMA 50" QP30,
SAMSUNG 29" 100Hz Z40,
WDTV, 500GB PASSPORT, 500GB Free Agent
Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP
Xtreamer
Planning for PS3 lite.