Author Topic: REQ V1.02.04 Honor Default Track flag in MKV files  (Read 2610 times)

April 14, 2009, 06:29:48 PM
Read 2610 times

MrMod

The Default Track flag in MKV files should be honored for subtitles.  However, if no subtitle track is marked Default then no subtitles should be displayed.

Also it would be nice if the video and audio Default track flags were also honored.

-Mod
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 07:56:09 PM by jayallan »

April 16, 2009, 01:17:20 AM
Reply #1

tut_ank

Count me in
For MUXED or internal just respect what the flag says if the subtitle is marked as default if means that they are forced subtitles or that you whant them ON if there is no track flagged as default don't turn them on (You can always activate them manually) this has to please everyone, as this default track flag can be changed eastly on any MKV, just open the file using mkvmerge and select what if any tracks you want to be the default one, then save the mkv to the external drive. This process takes the same time as just copying the files to the external drive and then you have the file's subtites (and audio tracks) to play the way you wish. Unfortunately the WDTV is ignoring this flags from day one....

April 16, 2009, 07:47:51 PM
Reply #2

DenZ

To change default track flag for subtitles by mkvmerge every time is not quite convenient!

I'd like a new option in settings: Auto subtitles On / Off.
OFF - Don’t display any subtitles automatically but you can turn it on manually if you wish.
ON - If there are external (.srt) subtitles, they must be selected first. If no .srt file was found then the WD TV should select the embedded subtitle track which is marked as "default". If no default subtitle flag was found then don’t display any subtitles at all, but you can turn it on manually if you wish.

April 16, 2009, 08:57:04 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I think the first two posters got it right.  Many American movies have foreign language parts that would flag the forced subtitles.  If the selection was off/on then we would get no subtitles in the foreign parts of our English movies.  The flag is there for a reason.  It should be followed.  Ignoring the pirated movies, this should be very easy to set whenever one rips his own disks.  By default I think that subtitles should be off unless forced as that will be the majority of users. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 16, 2009, 08:59:49 PM
Reply #4

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
yeh jay, default flag is default flag. it should be respected irregardless.

external subs however...well I'm all for an option to turn them on or off by default system wide. 8)

+1

April 17, 2009, 12:11:31 PM
Reply #5

fred_be9300

The Default Track flag in MKV files should be honored for subtitles.  However, if no subtitle track is marked Default then no subtitles should be displayed.

Also it would be nice if the video and audio Default track flags were also honored.

+1