Author Topic: READ THIS FIRST (Rules and Guidlines)  (Read 10497 times)

April 13, 2009, 04:15:23 PM
Read 10497 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
This is a new section of the site.  The powers that be (our WD overlords) have requested an area where they can accurately and concisely analyze firmware bugs as well as realistic feature requests (NOTE: The separate section is now active for Requests) .  Because this device can be used in so many different configurations, we as a community can share our unique needs, and all benefit.

As it is in our best interest to give Western Digital the correct information which will likely lead to an improved product,
we are setting a few rules for this section of the forum.

A) All topics must include the firmware version followed by the subject.  Conform to this SAMPLE > "BUG v1.02.02 No DTS sound through Toslink" or "REQ v1.02.02 Chapter Support in MKVs"

Please search for your topic before adding a duplicate one. 

B) Be specific.  Mention your connections and resolutions if relevant.

C) Feel free to disagree but keep your comments polite and logical. 

(No comments like "WTF do you need flac for you loser, MP3s are just as good." BUT "flac files! Those are crazy HUGE" is just fine)

D) BE VOCAL!  If there is a thread you agree with then add a reply stating that.  Same with why you disagree.  Let WD know that by making a comment. 

E) Feel free to start new threads here on ALL topics of Bugs or features regardless of whether they exist outside this new section of the forum.

F) Post only Bugs from OFFICIAL FIRMWARE in this area.  All homebrew Bugs go in the Homebrew section.

Thanks guys!  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:13:09 AM by jayallan »
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 14, 2009, 01:38:51 PM
Reply #1

GuyWD

I will be reading this forum when I have time. If you guys can do a good job of documenting bugs you encounter I think it could really help make the WDTV better. Thanks!

April 14, 2009, 02:02:46 PM
Reply #2

3dxr

• Global Moderator

you should read this forum over RSS link for Subscribe
or add this URL to Thunderbird or other RSS reader thats saving time :)

April 15, 2009, 08:41:46 AM
Reply #3

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
ummm...i think this should be two distinct forum groups. In no time this will be 1,394,509 feature requests interspersed with 5 bugs. Making the release in the title of the request post makes things even more complicated, feature requests are feature requests...you can't exactly get a new feature in an old version and you sure can't get a new feature in the version you're requesting it in, it would obviously be delivered in a later version.

April 15, 2009, 09:01:05 AM
Reply #4

lmaolmao

i agree with b-rad.  I've posted my 2 cents in terms of REQ, and the number of threads has gone up pretty quickly.  I know it's a REQ/BUG forum, but theres gotta be some split here.

BUGS should be the main of this forum, as it's to help the developers sort out the features that are currently there.  Getting our requests listened to is so rare that i think the WD guys will find the forum a chore to look through, and thats the last thing we want.

April 15, 2009, 09:19:11 AM
Reply #5

Suggestologist

ummm...i think this should be two distinct forum groups. In no time this will be 1,394,509 feature requests interspersed with 5 bugs. Making the release in the title of the request post makes things even more complicated, feature requests are feature requests...you can't exactly get a new feature in an old version and you sure can't get a new feature in the version you're requesting it in, it would obviously be delivered in a later version.

If they click "subject", the threads get sorted by subject line, and bugs will pop to the top.

Bugs and Reqs that are fixed or filled should be retired somehow, though.

April 15, 2009, 11:49:02 AM
Reply #6

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

whether it's wanted or not, here is my $0.02

this should be a bug list for the CURRENT release of the firmware only.
post your bug reports for the current firmware, when the current firmware is no longer current, create a sub-forum and title it that version #, move all the old posts in it and carry on with the new bugs for the new firmware. Yes make it mandatory for every new post to have the firmware version in it, if it's not in it, move it to a subsection titled limbo, when they edit it and get back to the staff, it can be moved back. have that section auto prune after 1 week, that is plenty of time to get it fixed, pm a staff member or just report it as being fixed, then it can be moved back.. If they don't care to do that within 1 week, to bad so sad, it's gone.

It may mean more work for the forum staff but it would be better for GuyWD and his colleagues, ultimately it is they who will be putting out new releases, hopefully based on this boards input, have this section full of useless feature requests and they may not bother going through this section as thoroughly as perhaps they would otherwise. After all, they do have a job to do, coming here and reading our bugs .-. is gravy for us.

This is just a friendly suggestion, please take it as such, use it or parts of it in any way you feel would be best for the overall development of WDTV.

Cheers.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

April 15, 2009, 02:55:41 PM
Reply #7

Tobber

What about a poll for the feature requests?

Something like

- Feature has high priority!
- Would be nice.
- I don't mind / need it.

This way it would help GuyWD and the others to determine quickly which feature to implement next...

April 16, 2009, 08:15:42 AM
Reply #8

catire

Could a mod move the Req threads to the req subforum?

WD is getting close to puting out a Release Candidate so bugs would be the most important thing to focus on right now and the bugs are getting overshadowed by the requests.

April 16, 2009, 11:18:02 AM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.  As this section evolves I will subdivide it as is required.  I will be adding a sub category for the requests and moving them there.   There needs to be ver numbers on the requests as well as the bugs because when new versions of the firmware come out they will be useful to refer to in case the new firmware addresses only part of their problem or introduces new related problems.  As threads become totally irrelevant we will retire them.  This was an empty thread only a day ago so I am happy to see you all contributing! :)

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 16, 2009, 02:20:40 PM
Reply #10

ibanez_australia

What about a poll for the feature requests?

Something like

- Feature has high priority!
- Would be nice.
- I don't mind / need it.

This way it would help GuyWD and the others to determine quickly which feature to implement next...

I agree. As the number of REQ's is growing I think it would be useful to set up a poll along the lines you've described, maybe with a 'disagree/don't want it' added so in those cases where there are people for/against a REQ WD could implement it as a selectable option.

April 16, 2009, 06:40:27 PM
Reply #11

shemilio

Please, keep in mind that I do not want to offend anyone, but I have read some REQ that make not sense at all in the short-medium term, such as WebServices when we have no (official) network support or asking WDTV to act as another device (DVD, iPod, PC, etc...)

I think that one of the main characteristic of a request is that it has to have big "coverage". With that I tried to mean, that a REQ that just helps my own "crazy" setup is not to be requested to WD but Santa...
If not, I may finish requesting WDTV for a silver plated device instead of black one, because it matches better with my AVR...and even more, I may want WDTV case color to be selectable by my remote control. (indeed, nice feature... ::) )

In my case, when making a REQ I *try* to follow KISS rules and be objective.

April 19, 2009, 07:44:25 AM
Reply #12

fred_be9300

Rules should probably say NOT to post bugs if they are tested only with custom FW, and not reproduced yet (or reproducible) with official FW?

May 02, 2009, 11:13:53 AM
Reply #13

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Rules should probably say NOT to post bugs if they are tested only with custom FW, and not reproduced yet (or reproducible) with official FW?

Good idea.  Done!