Author Topic: Hey Jay....how about .AVI from Sony Handycam  (Read 3004 times)

March 19, 2009, 09:41:05 AM
Read 3004 times

nograde1

I just captured video from my sony handycam.  The file is an .AVI and plays great with WMP on a PC.

1.  Doesn't WDTV support .AVI?

2.  What do I need to do?

Thanks for this forum!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:32:43 AM by jayallan »

March 20, 2009, 12:37:16 AM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hey!

AVI is a container format which means it can hold lots of different video (and audio) types created with different codecs.  Your best bet is to use a program like adobe Premiere which is designed for editing home shot videos.  Once you capture (import) a film into Premiere you can output it to many different formats that the WDTV can read.  I imagine some of the cheaper editing programs will work as well.   DV-AVI is very common and I have no problem converting it in Adobe Premiere to an XviD type AVI which plays fine.   
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 20, 2009, 06:18:41 AM
Reply #2

nograde1

Thanks,

What I have are a lot of 60min miniDV's that when captured are about 10gb .AVI files.  I have these  captured tapes on a 1tb HD.  I have a MacBook and PC.  On the MacBook I have iMovie and on the PC I have Sony Vegas 5.0.  I want to convert these captured tapes to the highest quality possible to preserve and play on a 55" HDTV with the WDTV.  What do you think I should convert with?

March 20, 2009, 11:46:12 AM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I would base which you use on the systems.   Is the Mac Faster than the PC?   I would probably use XviD as your output. It is the most efficient for SD.   Can both Vegas and iMovie output to XviD?   If not then you may have to output to a full rez AVI then convert it with another program.   You will have to experiment. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 22, 2009, 08:09:42 AM
Reply #4

nograde1

Both the PC and MAC are about the same speed.  The PC is just a little user friendly for these types of apps.  You said convert to full res AVI?  My files are already AVI?  Is there another type of AVI that will work on WDTV?  Do you know of any HI-RES conversion tools that are freeware. 

March 22, 2009, 06:55:00 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I don't have Vegas but if it converts well to Xvid then do that.  Otherwise output it at full rez and convert with AutoGK which is free.  You can try first to convert the captured files as-is in AutoGK, but most of the conversion software is not designed to convert DV-AVI so you will likely have to find an output format from Vegas that is recognized by AutoGK.