Author Topic: WDTV2 What are you wanting from this device ?  (Read 2179 times)

September 18, 2009, 03:00:26 AM
Read 2179 times

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Hello please post you own wish list here please
My wish list is here

1) Native network support
2) Faster GUI response not long path for function activation max 5 click no deep menus
3)  Improved GUI elements check boxes etc pop-up windows no only OPTION bar during playback
4)  Re-designed remote control becouse WDTV-2 should be network player and existing rc inst usefull for so many features
which can be added to new model.
5) FLV local playback Youtube/like server HULU etc... (flash content player)
6) Similar codec set like Xstreamer or PCH C-200
7) Network radio support last.fm or HTTP streaming from shoutcast servers
8) Option load from USB media GUI theme and customize menu colors in original FW
9) Wifi support 802.11n - standard is successfully standardized this month 9/2009
10) MKV embedded artwork support (cover_front.jpg/cover_back.jpg like attachments its easy to add with MMG tool mkvtoonix
11) blank screen save no jumping logo for relax music listening in night
12  option activate signal-off on AV/HDMI output when are active speakers plugged into device TV will shut-to-standby and player will play music over active speakers this will produce true darkness in room and when is any button pressed on rc player will turn on video output.
13path in thumb/list browser like have WDTVmini
14) 2 panels file manager NC like style or like is on Xstreamer implemented
15) auto shutdown - sleep timer

and more this is missing to me ...
if you have any other wishes please add  then we can count and make TOP requested features and Yell again to heaven
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:31:35 AM by jayallan »

October 12, 2009, 06:36:53 AM
Reply #1

nube

• Personal Text
    avsforum junkie
* DTS-MA HD bitstreaming support, not just downmixing to DTS 5.1ch CORE.
* BD & DVD ISO menu and chapter support with remote button integration
* Working UPNP
* Explicit USB hub support

And, from the community:

* Movie & Music Jukeboxes as good or better than those from the Popcorn Hour community.

October 12, 2009, 10:41:59 AM
Reply #2

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
* DTS-MA HD bitstreaming support, not just downmixing to DTS 5.1ch CORE.
* BD & DVD ISO menu and chapter support with remote button integration
* Working UPNP
* Explicit USB hub support

And, from the community:

* Movie & Music Jukeboxes as good or better than those from the Popcorn Hour community.

My thoughts exactly!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

December 02, 2009, 03:15:48 PM
Reply #3

Fiji

My first post on this forum:

I called WD and asked about flv support. They told me they had no support for it and were not aware of any initiative to do so within WD.

However I definitely want flash support. Also they appear to lack much breadth of decoder support for mp4 since I cannot get any of my mp4's to play.

Therefore I want more breadth of codec support for mp4 since that is the most likely reason the box gives an error when trying to play mp4's from a variety of sources.

FT

December 02, 2009, 05:25:10 PM
Reply #4

Whoheart

I want a forum for suggestions ;)

I also want better ability to skip back and forward in a file. Its bad as it is now. In avis its totally slow, in isos its so fast you look at the remote and you are minutes back at the first settings.

check my suggestion in the requests forum
If you think there is something wrong with your WD device contact them and then act upon that: Either wait or move on - don't whine here - this is not WD's board. If you have a problem, start a thread and ask - perhaps someone knows the answer.

December 02, 2009, 05:56:24 PM
Reply #5

FuGGer

for starters i want it to play 100% of my media without any problems (audio jitter, unsupported format, etc)

if a video plays absolutely fine on a pc via media player classic or vlc or any other free player why shouldnt it work the same on the wdtv live?

im not super techie but why cant they install media player classic or vlc into the wdtv live? these software are free arent they? and they play almost everything without any problems...

December 03, 2009, 04:55:06 AM
Reply #6

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
im not super techie but why cant they install media player classic or vlc into the wdtv live? these software are free arent they? and they play almost everything without any problems...

Because it would be horribly slow.  Software would require the power of the processor to run.  The processor in any of the WDTV models is not especially fast, because most of the time all it has to do is handle the OSD/GUI (etc.).  Like most (all?) media players the WDTV models have chipsets specially designed to handle decoding of media in real time and nothing else (that is, the processor is not directly involved).  Getting software to do it is sort of defeating the object.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

December 03, 2009, 04:58:21 AM
Reply #7

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
Also they appear to lack much breadth of decoder support for mp4 since I cannot get any of my mp4's to play.

Therefore I want more breadth of codec support for mp4 since that is the most likely reason the box gives an error when trying to play mp4's from a variety of sources.

Out of interest, what codec or codecs do your MP4 files have?  If you don't know, use the MediaInfo program to find out, and then check if those codecs are officially supported.
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares