Author Topic: Widescreen Films that are in 4:3 mode DVD ripping Help!  (Read 3820 times)

September 06, 2009, 12:59:16 PM
Read 3820 times

billybob

Got a few films which for some reason are in widescreen, but they've been put in 4:3 mode - so when viewed for eg on a dvd player, not only do u get borders at the top and bottom, u get them at the side as well, so the film is displayed right in the middle of the screen with huge borders around it.

When ripping to watch on the Media player, I still have this issue, so does anyone know a way around it - either by editing something in the header after ripping, or does the film need some sort of manual cropping / re-encoding afterwards?

Films that have this type of thing on them:

Star Trek 6 - Special Edition (from about 10 or so years back)
Predator 1 NTSC Version (1998)
Twelve Monkeys (1999)

These are the ones I've found so far.

September 06, 2009, 01:12:01 PM
Reply #1

bobosquishy

I don't know what software you are using, but yes: you have to crop during the encoding process to xvid/divx/h.264 or whatever codec you are using for the final output.  You don't want to crop after you already have your output file in mkv or avi or whatever container you use, because there is no way to crop without encoding and so you will lose picture quality if you do it that way.
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

September 06, 2009, 01:27:35 PM
Reply #2

billybob

I was ripping uncompressed, so I take it I'll have to load the vob into something like Virtualdubmod, crop in there & re-encode out of that?
Didn't really want to spend hours encoding stuff - why did they make the discs like that! Very annoying :(

September 06, 2009, 02:55:32 PM
Reply #3

bobosquishy

No extra encoding steps are needed.  You just add a crop filter to be applied during the final encoding stage, that's the only difference.  You might have to change the software you are using, I have no idea.

September 06, 2009, 10:20:04 PM
Reply #4

billybob

Have u had to do this before?
And if so, what software would u recommend?
Thanks.

September 07, 2009, 01:20:18 AM
Reply #5

bobosquishy

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=cropping+rip+dvd

The first search result is a video tutorial.  Please learn to use a search engine.

September 07, 2009, 08:27:31 AM
Reply #6

billybob

Please learn to use a search engine.

Don't be so flippant boy.
As u were the only one responding & suggested 'other software' I thought u may have an inkling as to what to use & maybe of some help.

Cropping causes re-encoding in virtualdub & tmpgenc (it won't let u use direct stream) - hence why I was asking for what other programs could work.
And I've downloaded loads of different progs (using a search engine) but after none do what I need I found this forum (also by a search engine) & hoped for a bit of decent help.
This is supposed to be a forum for helping each other out isn't it?

So far though it's turned into more of a waste of time as no one seems to have any answers to sort these problems out.
Shame..

September 16, 2009, 08:38:21 AM
Reply #7

larry sellers

You can use mkvmerge to re-mux the streams and change the aspect ration from 4:3 to 16:9, although I don't think you can save as anything other than a matroska container.
Video:
wdtv (hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420
xbox 360 (flash mod, hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420

Audio:
wdtv (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18
xbox 360 (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18

September 16, 2009, 09:57:42 AM
Reply #8

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Try MakeMKV  It does not re-encode.   I use DVDfab and convertto a single VOB.  That would work as well. It sounds like a flag issue.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

September 16, 2009, 10:01:22 PM
Reply #9

bobosquishy

He's talking about a 4:3 video with letterboxing, not anamorphic widescreen.  Specifying a different aspect ratio in the mkv container will not solve the problem.

September 17, 2009, 04:35:22 AM
Reply #10

bobosquishy

September 22, 2009, 04:41:07 AM
Reply #11

hmdm

Hi,

I use imtoo, convert to divx for example, specify 4000 data bits, 16:9 aspect, and full zoom. Then I have no black letter boxes on the left and right

September 23, 2009, 08:11:17 AM
Reply #12

billybob

Thanks for the replies.
Looks like a recode option is the only proper one then...

I did find another way of doing it via some settings on the actual tv remote, although it then means having to change them to watch other stuff, but I suppose it is quicker to do that than re-encode everything.

Cheers.

October 24, 2009, 02:39:47 AM
Reply #13

trude_hair

there actually IS a way of getting rid of borders AFTER encoding/compressing a video WITHOUT the need to re-compress it - the MKV container offers a flag to define what shall be cropped from all four sides - so while in fact the video still has the black borders, the device/software that plays the video is provided with information how much it shall crop from the video. while VLC software player supposedly supports this (meaning it DOES apply some cropping if the cropping-parameters are set, it crops quite wrongly however), WDTV regrettably still doesn't. it would be a nice feature, i hope it will be implemented some day.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 03:56:04 AM by trude_hair »

October 28, 2009, 11:02:56 PM
Reply #14

billybob

there actually IS a way of getting rid of borders AFTER encoding/compressing a video WITHOUT the need to re-compress it - the MKV container offers a flag to define what shall be cropped from all four sides - so while in fact the video still has the black borders, the device/software that plays the video is provided with information how much it shall crop from the video. while VLC software player supposedly supports this (meaning it DOES apply some cropping if the cropping-parameters are set, it crops quite wrongly however), WDTV regrettably still doesn't. it would be a nice feature, i hope it will be implemented some day.

I did try that a while back, but the vid just wouldn't play on the wdtv - let's hope an update fixes this - would be very useful.