Author Topic: Help: Aspect Ratio a little off on Some Vob Rips  (Read 1180 times)

September 04, 2009, 11:48:48 AM
Read 1180 times

billybob

Hello there,
Wonder if anyone else has had this or knows how to fix it:

Basically I've been transfering some of my dvd collection to an external drive to plug into the WD Media Player.
I'm using anydvd (running in the background to decode) & Smartripper to actually extract the films as a single Vob file to the drive.
This all works fine & plays back fine on the pc, but I have had the occasional film which for some reason when played on the media player has larger top & bottom black borders than usual, causing the film to look squished.

I've loaded the problem files into a video info viewing prog & it has the usual 720x576 pixel size & 16:9 aspect ratio as a file that plays properly.

Any ideas how to sort this problem or why it's only doing it on some films?

1 of the films in question it has done it to is: Galaxy Quest.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:51:16 AM by billybob »

September 06, 2009, 08:42:29 AM
Reply #1

billybob

As no one's managed to solve this, I've found another way round it:

MakeMDV - this prog (with Anydvd running in the background) works perfectly.
Rips to a single file, keeps chapter info & aspect ratio. Also makes the film the correct viewing length (so forwarding works correctly).
Does mean I have to re-rip everything I've already done (about 45 films), but at least they'll all work correctly with this.

Also recommend anyone about to start putting stuff on their external drive to format it with the 64k cluster selected (for better drive access) - does take about 4hrs for a 1TB drive, but will be worth it in the long run.
If u can't do this within Windows, use this dos command (changing G: for the letter of your external drive u wish to format):

format G: /FS:NTFS /V:WDTV /A:64K