Author Topic: GPU based encoding (NVIDIA/CUDA+badaboom or ATI/Avivo HD+Avivo Video Converter)  (Read 28668 times)

April 12, 2009, 04:18:05 AM
Read 28668 times

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Hi all,

who is encoding with GPU on video card GPU accelerated encoding is much more faster
I want hear about your experiences with GPU HW accelerated encoding and playing on WDTV
H264 or VC-1 only

April 16, 2009, 05:00:57 AM
Reply #1

Starstream

GPU video encoding is a load of snake oil (for now). The quality is almost always inferior to CPU based x264 (used in Ripbot/Handbrake/MeGUI/XviD4PSP) and heavy marketing by company's like Nvidia try to convince people that its much faster (its not) and delivers great quality (it doesn't).

The Avivo converter is junk and don't waste your time with it.

The Badaboom converter is pretty poor in comparison to x264 though to give them credit they have been slowly improving it (the first version was awful).

Cyberlink have added CUDA to their latest PowerDirector app and its better than Badaboom quality wise but still no match for x264, its being tested on the Doom9 forums if you want a closer look.

In short GPU video encoding is mostly unjustified hype the software is nowhere near mature enough, eventually when something like x264 gains OpenCL support and uses GPU's effectively (contrary to PR GPU's are not suited to encoding H.264 only parts of it) then you will see actual speed gains without sacrificing quality.

Dont waste your money on a GPU or some GP-GPU app buy a faster CPU for encoding H.264 and that goes for VC-1 too.

April 16, 2009, 05:54:51 AM
Reply #2

3dxr

• Global Moderator

Which encoder (H.264 VC-1 xvid isnt for me good compared with x264 is loosing only speed is benefit for xvid now) is capable fully use multi core and HT technology
I known multithreaded ended movies have little bit bad quality ( they encode separate blocks loosing benefits from previous content analytics)

I have only core solo cpu and good backup take 7-9hours on T1300 CPU its long but cost too much energy and time
if i set bad bitrate or to high quantitizer good encoding need sometimes more attempts if I want have good balance size vs quality

April 17, 2009, 02:59:03 AM
Reply #3

Starstream

As far as I'm aware there is no issue with quality loss and multi-threaded encoders  (I've never seen the x264 devs say such & they promote multi-core usage) same goes for Microsoft who's own VC-1 encoders are also multi-threaded all the way up to Blu-ray mastering.

x264 is multi-threaded however avisynth is also used by many windows encoders and that is not multi-threaded but Ripbot264 and XviD4PSP include the special multi-threaded build of avisnyth so they will max out all cores on a CPU.

As for best quality settings that is rather difficult to say its really in the eye of the beholder so to speak.

For me I use Ripbot264 with a CQ of 18 on DVD's the constant quality mode delivers very high quality but as a consequence there is no limit on file size and one movie may come out at 1.5GB and another may come out at 5GB just under the original DVD size but the image quality is always high. A higher CQ setting enables more compression, a lower setting equals less compression, its generally stated that 18 = image quality close to source video.

If it's Blu-rays your converting that is always going to be slow nothing to do in that area.

XviD4PSP also has some CQ presets for fast encoding like x264 Q18 Turbo you may want to check it out and see how long it takes to encode and what the quality of the output is like. It also has some good XviD presets too which are worth checking out if you are not happy with the speed of x264.

With a laptop CPU obviously your pretty limited in what you can do, if the laptop has an nvidia cuda supporting GPU you could give badaboom a try but it only outputs main profile videos no high profile support so image quality may not be to your liking. Nero are supposedly also adding CUDA support to Nero Recode in the future so that would be a better solution over badaboom as the image quality from Nero is pretty decent as it currently stands. Edit: Well it seems doubt is being pored over that Nero Cuda combo as well, you'll probably see x264 get OpenCL support towards the end of the year or early next year which is really the only optimal solution in the long run.

Instead of forking out money on new hardware why not buy a 1TB hard drive they are pretty cheap and use MakeMKV to strip out the main movie from DVD's which will save some space, your only looking a 4-6GB on average for each movie and no encoding so its a quick job.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 12:49:49 PM by Starstream »

April 01, 2011, 06:10:10 PM
Reply #4

niceemily

Hi all,

who is encoding with GPU on video card GPU accelerated encoding is much more faster
I want hear about your experiences with GPU HW accelerated encoding and playing on WDTV
H264 or VC-1 only

accoding to my experience, cuda base video converter can video with super fast speed
you may refer to the following introduce
http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/nvidia-cuda-video-converter.html

May 27, 2011, 12:29:54 AM
Reply #5

tomjame

i recommend Bigasoft Total Video Converter

reason 1 Optimized by NVIDIAŽ CUDA computing technology, Bigasoft Total Video Converter accelerates conversion to revolutionary fast. Converting video now is in minutes.

reason 2 it can achieve video conversion between a wide range of video formats, including AVI, Xvid, DivX, H.264, MP4, 3GP, MKV, WMV, RM, FLV, MOV, WebM, VP8, 720p, 1080p, 1080i HD, AVCHD videos and more.

reason 3 it can  also  convert between audio files like MP3, AAC, AC3, WAV, WMA, etc. Moreover, it can extract audio from video and music video by only a few clicks.

reason 4 it  is equipped with advanced editing function. It enables to adjust audio volume, rotate video, add audio track and subtitle for video, increase artistic effects for video, add image or text watermark for video, split video, merge videos into one, trim and crop video, capture preferable picture from video and more.

Windows version at http://www.bigasoft.com/total-video-converter.html
Mac version at http://www.bigasoft.com/total-video-converter-mac.html