Author Topic: Can Audio Sync Issue Be Solved  (Read 2799 times)

August 24, 2009, 12:48:22 AM
Read 2799 times

rogue20

Hi, i was thinking of buying a WD Media Player, but due to all the people having problems with audio sync and some reviews about the audio sync issue i was put off.

Has this been fixed or is there a solution, i did read that reverting back to an earlier firmware solved the problem, thanks

August 25, 2009, 04:55:14 AM
Reply #1

larry sellers

It isn't everyone having these issues. My sync problems ended when I quit using handbrake to encode. I have done 400+ films using Automkv and none have had sync issues.
Video:
wdtv (hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420
xbox 360 (flash mod, hdmi output) -> Sony KV-30HS420

Audio:
wdtv (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18
xbox 360 (toslink output) -> Sony STR-DA3000ES -> Harman Kardon HKTS-18

August 25, 2009, 09:54:20 AM
Reply #2

B5Fan

I agree.  I don't think it is completely a device problem, but an encoding problem.  I use AVS video converter to create H264 avi files.  Then I use MakeMKV to place them into an MKV container.  None of these have had any audio sync issues.  I have a few movies that were downloaded as H264 in MP4 format.  When I repackage them to mkv, I sometimes get error messages about some audio data missing.  Not all, but a few of these are out of sync.

August 26, 2009, 10:06:40 AM
Reply #3

METDeath

It is partially an encoding issue, and partially a firmware issue.

I have releases from a particular group that all have sync issues when played with 1.02.04 or higher. It is only that particular group that has issues for me. When I use 1.02.03 they work fine, when the audio codec is supported. From 1.02.04-.10 the files all have the exact same issue (video is 12 sec ahead of audio and stays there).

However, it is only that one group. I get the feeling if I cared enough to grab a decode/recode program and re-encode the files they would probably work just fine.
FW ver 1.02.10 Prerelease - Composite Video

September 06, 2009, 11:20:46 AM
Reply #4

Trac

YES

Firmwares 1.02.04-1.02.10 do not support Variable Frame Rate.  The previous firmwares did.

Hi, i was thinking of buying a WD Media Player, but due to all the people having problems with audio sync and some reviews about the audio sync issue i was put off.

Has this been fixed or is there a solution, i did read that reverting back to an earlier firmware solved the problem, thanks

At this time, you have to re-encode using CBR or roll back the firmware.  Out of frustration, I have moved on to the ACRyan.

http://www.mpcclub.com/modules/Reviews/reviews/review_acryan_playonhd.pdf
http://www.iboum.com/sort/media-players-sort-rating.php

It is partially an encoding issue, and partially a firmware issue.

I have releases from a particular group that all have sync issues when played with 1.02.04 or higher. It is only that particular group that has issues for me. When I use 1.02.03 they work fine, when the audio codec is supported. From 1.02.04-.10 the files all have the exact same issue (video is 12 sec ahead of audio and stays there).

If it were an encoding problem, they would not work with 1.02.03.  It's all Firmware.

It isn't everyone having these issues. My sync problems ended when I quit using handbrake to encode. I have done 400+ films using Automkv and none have had sync issues.

HandBrake isn't the problem, any VFR video will do this.
"Same as source" = VFR(Variable Frame Rate) and improved quality.  If you encode using FPS 29.97(a CBR setting) instead of Same as source, the problem would disappear.  However, VFR with Detelecine and Decomb = Awesome Quality.  Two things are accomplished, interlaced frames are removed, and the video is reverted back to its source(Film).

I agree.  I don't think it is completely a device problem, but an encoding problem.

If it were a device or encode problem, it would have shown up from the beginning.  The fact that the problem did not exist before v1.02.04 clearly points to the firmware.

At first I wasn't sure about this, but after further testing, it all points to incompatibility with VFR.  Just as some MP3 players will choke on VBR songs, the WDTV's current Firmware will choke on VFR videos.

More info:
http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1980.msg15468#msg15468
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:43:29 AM by Trac »