Author Topic: WDTV with DVDFAB Wall-E cartoon fast forwards 5-10 seconds every now and then  (Read 2635 times)

January 29, 2009, 02:08:30 PM
Read 2635 times

machoman

I've got the WDTV for about a week now and it plays most movies without a glitch. In fact the quality is literally amazing through my new panasonic plasma. I've only gone through Blue ray discs ripped from Anydvd HD (which are more than amazing) and my dvd movies are ripped by DVDFab.

THe latest Wall-e ripped by DVDfab is a problem. it would fast forward by itself for approx. 5-10 seconds every now and then. ANd the weird thing is it's exactly at the same spot every time - ie. its reproducible. The same file plays ok on the computer and on a Popcorn Hour A110. I've ripped it again on an older DVDFab version hopping it was a problem with the latest version - but alas it wasn't.

I've also checked it another unit of the WDTV and the problem happens exactly on the same spots in the other units. Any explanation why this is happening?

So far i've only been through about 4-5 movies on the WDTV and it's been OK though.

January 29, 2009, 02:46:46 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I too use DVDfab for ripping my DVD collection to Hard drive.   I have not experienced this problem though.   What format are you ripping to?  Are they MKVs or AVIs or VOBs?   I know that VOBs are a little wonky on the WDTV.  I rip my DVDs to MKV using the Xvid.audiocopy mode and they work great at half or less the size of the vobs.  Let us know the technique.  Also,  Have you re-ripped the same film and had the same problem?

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

January 29, 2009, 05:37:38 PM
Reply #2

machoman

I have been ripping DVD with DVDfab outputting to Audio_TS and Video_TS folders. Don't know what format you would called them - VOB? I've also ripped a number of other movies through the same format and they have played well with no problems. For example - Eagle Eye played without a problem. So did Mummy 3 (latest version).

I've re ripped Wall-E through an older version of DVDfab and also ripped the entire disc - all done through the audio/video_ts formats and all versions of Wall-E had the same 'ghostly' fast forward problem like as though a ghost had pressed the fast forward button and the movie would fast forward by itself for 10 seconds. This would happen at the same spot and would happen about 4-5 times in Wall-E.

I don't know what a MKV format is - i'll look that up in DVDfab.

You mentioned that the VOB format is wonky - should i avoid it then? Will the mkv format preserve the quality?

I really like the WDTV but the Wall-E issue has now made me quite nervous and anxious about it. Like what other movie would it play up like this again? My brother says that he's always had problems with Cartoons. For some unknown reason cartoons seems to give the most problems when ripping.

January 31, 2009, 12:26:16 PM
Reply #3

heiner.bremer

Although I haven't seen the Wall-E DVD yet, this might be a Disney specific problem. On nearly every Disney DVD of an animated movie all texts appearing in the picture are translated. This is done by automatically changing the angle of the movie to the language selected.

Example: you are watching the DVD with German language. The picture itself will be the picture of the original English release. Supposed there is a scene where somewhere stands "Help needed" - then the angle of the DVD is automatically switched to a translated version where "Hilfe gesucht" appears.

I had this problem with "Chicken little" and it was driving me crazy: when playing back translated scenes the angles switched every half second from English to German and then back again. I had this problem with my Iomega Screenplay - but did not test it with my WDTV.

Please check if you encounter your problem when text is displayed in the picture and let us know!
WDTV firmware 1.01.02, connected via HDMI (video) and Toslink (sound)

January 31, 2009, 02:58:08 PM
Reply #4

machoman

Don't see how that could be a problem for me as it's English all the way plus i didn't enable the subtitles.

One other development - i've also dvdfab ripped 5 movies on the same day and including Wall-E, 3 other movies is giving me problem - "children of the silk road" and "Hunting Party" and one other older horror movie came out with the wrong perspective - it looked slightly elongated and squashed. I've mucked around with the WDTV settins and my plasma - couldn't improve anything. And all these 3 movies played all right on my PC. It looks like to that the WDTV is a bit sensitive in a negative way to how movies are ripped and it can sometimes come out not right. Perhaps a new firmware could resolve this but they'll better work on it FAST cause i'm going to return it and get a popcorn.

My brother's got a popcorn hour A110 and he says its' also not perfect - he's missing some files on the popcorn which he knows exist....it also looks like some of these media player are not yet 'perfected'.

January 31, 2009, 04:26:24 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
It is likely that the aspect ratio flag is being set incorrectly by DVDfab.  It may have been set wrong by the software, by the author of the DVD, or by the person doing the rips (you)  :)

You can check this I believe with a program call MediaInfo which can be had here http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en:

You may be able to fix it with this program: DVDPatcher  which is also free and can be had here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVDPatcher

Let us know if this helps!
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

February 01, 2009, 02:24:28 AM
Reply #6

heiner.bremer

To be quite frank (I hope you don't mind): if you don't like the WDTV and are talking about buying a Popcorn Hour - then please go and get it. Then you can bug the users at the PH forums as this thing isn't the real deal, too!

But please look at the price of this two gadgets. Notice something? Yes, the PH costs about thrice as much as the WDTV. By the way, the PH wasn't able to play back 24p just before the firmware update a few weeks ago. And that was long after the model was released. Now compare this to the fast firmware update of the WDTV and ask yourself again what you really need and really want.

In most cases when something does not work (while others don't experience this problem) it's simply PEBKAC. I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't stand people complaining about stuff that (1) isn't the fault of the manufacturer and (2) that can't be expected on a low-budget device. Although the little WDTV can do a lot and may be quite an exception, you will NEVER get the pick of the bunch for just a few bucks...

Maybe you should try the combo DVDdecrypter/DVDshrink. I was using them for years and never had problems with the result. Usage is quite self-explanatory, too.
WDTV firmware 1.01.02, connected via HDMI (video) and Toslink (sound)

February 01, 2009, 02:29:17 AM
Reply #7

machoman

yes - its some kind of aspect ratio thingy. I had to force my plasma to another ratio and zoom it once - it filled the screen and the proportions looked all right then but i think i lost a bit of quality - things become slightly grainy and i know there were information to the left and right that are now no longer showing.

I now suspect the cause of these problem could possibly be DVDfab's. Im using the latest version (i'm using v. 5.2.3.2). Older moves ripped by much older DVDfab didn't have this problem. You are on to something when you mention the aspect ratio flag not set properly by DVDFAB.

I''ve just ripped another 5 movies - and the all now still show the out of proportion thing. I'll try your fix and maybe try ripping the dvd with Anydvd. Will let you know.

February 01, 2009, 02:32:05 AM
Reply #8

machoman

Hey guys - the popcorn hour is not perfect too. I brought the movies over to my brother's place and the popcorn didn't want to play one of them and the popcorn had to be rebooted. There's something fishy about the current DVDfab -  me think.

February 02, 2009, 03:21:17 AM
Reply #9

machoman

I've ripped the same movie - "My Blue Berry Nights" through DVDfab v4.1.2, DVDfab 5.2.2, AnyDVD HD, Dvd Decrypter and they all turn out the with the aspect ratio wrong with a narrower band where the picture is and looking squished. So it looks like its not DVDFab's fault as the PC plays the movie all right. I now have to force my plasma to the 14:9 mode and zoom once for it to get it to look correct with the WDTV for this movie and others that have not turned out ok.

I ripped 5 movies and 3 came out through various ripping software with the same results - squished narrower widescreen.

I believe the WDTV is somehow not recognising the aspect ratio correctly or its not displaying it properly. Hopefully a new firmware will resolve this.

March 11, 2009, 12:38:21 PM
Reply #10

mrbilld53

I need to chime in here too. I have the same fast forward problem with my copy of the Matrix. It happens during the 'bullet time' scenes. Fast forwards right thru them. I have tried various ripping methods and all with the same outcome. I think it probably has something to do with the way the movie access different angles. I hope WD is looking into this. I know it's not a high percentage of movies, but it is annoying for the movies this does affect.

March 22, 2009, 08:11:29 AM
Reply #11

nograde1

I ripped Walle with "ripit4me" a freeware then transfered to WDTV usb HDD and it worked perfectly.

March 27, 2009, 12:15:43 PM
Reply #12

Starstream

I too have come across the fast forward issue it was in THX-1138 (I was using MakeMKV to rip directly to MKV) as others have guessed it is down to how the DVD was mastered with alternate streams for videos like alternate angels or showing how a certain special effect was shown etc that sort of stuff.

I never looked into a proper solution but you can always just convert the offending film as most x264 encoders are able to without any issues, Ripbot264 with CQ at 18 will do the job nicely.

April 04, 2009, 05:35:12 PM
Reply #13

machoman

I've ripped the same movie - "My Blue Berry Nights" through DVDfab v4.1.2, DVDfab 5.2.2, AnyDVD HD, Dvd Decrypter and they all turn out the with the aspect ratio wrong with a narrower band where the picture is and looking squished. So it looks like its not DVDFab's fault as the PC plays the movie all right. I now have to force my plasma to the 14:9 mode and zoom once for it to get it to look correct with the WDTV for this movie and others that have not turned out ok.

I ripped 5 movies and 3 came out through various ripping software with the same results - squished narrower widescreen.

I believe the WDTV is somehow not recognising the aspect ratio correctly or its not displaying it properly. Hopefully a new firmware will resolve this.

The latest firmware upgrade v1.02 seems to have corrected the aspect ration problems - these movies now play correctly.