Author Topic: WDLXTV + Zydas zd1211b wireless issues, any solutions?  (Read 5764 times)

August 17, 2009, 12:10:40 PM
Read 5764 times

tacitus

I have the following WDLXTV configuration up and running:

WDLXTV 0.5.6.1
TP-LINK TL-WN322G (zd1211b chipset wireless-G)
8GB Transcend SDHC card with Transcend USB adapter

modules:
nfs.app.bin
pure-ftpd.app.bin
webserver.app.bin
wireless-mod-wdlxtv.app.bin

net.config:
HOST=wdtv
MTU=1500
insmod /tmp/mnt/sda1/zd1211b.ko
ifconfig $MDEV up
wpa_supplicant -B w -D otus -i $MDEV -c /tmp/mnt/sda1/wpa_supplicant.conf
DHCP=yes
SUPPRESS_OTHERS=yes

wpa_supplicant:
ctrl_interface=/tmp/wpa_supplicant
network={
ssid="jupiter"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk="xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
}

net.mounts:
xmount 192.168.0.100:/videos videos nfs udp,rsize=32768,wsize=32768

Overall, this configuration is working pretty well, I can telnet and ftp into the WDTV, and play all my SD content without any problems, but...

I have two major problems that I cannot solve:

• WDLXTV only boots up correctly (from power-on or telnet reboot) about 25% of the time.  When it does, I see the correct IP address on the boot screen, if not, I get the "IP:no IP" message, and the following things occur:

• The screen saver appears a few seconds after the system has finished booting
    • The menus freeze after one action (e.g. scroll left/right or up/down)
    • Soft power-off/power-on fixes the menu freeze, and you can play videos, but the remote controls (ff/rew, pause, etc) don't work and you can't resume a video from the place you stop. (This is for all videos -- local storage and networked)
    • telnet & ftp work fine, so the network connection is actually up and running

• Even when WDLXTV boots correct, if I play a network-based video, the video always locks out the rest of the system at around the 26min to 28min mark.  Before that point, the box is working perfectly.  After that point, the ff/rew/pause controls stop working, the progress indicator is frozen at the 26/28 min point, and the video continues to play even if you exit to the main menu and try to play another title.  Once the video is ended, the screen just remains blank.  Only a hard reboot solves this problem.

I have tried just about everything -- endless fiddling with the config files, factory resets, pin-hole resets, firmware cycling, and nothing seems to solve either of these two problems.  The first problem (only 25% good boots) looks to be a race condition between the wireless and the rest of the system, but adding any number of "sleep" statements into the net.config doesn't work.  I suspect that, in fact, it's when the wireless boot is too slow the problems arise, since they happen when the "no IP" messages is shown on boot.

Having read a *lot* of old forum posts, I see that both these problems have been reported for at least a couple of months now, but I haven't seen any solutions other than going to ext3-boot, but I don't want to give up on WDLXTV just yet!  I am willing to do some more debugging of the problems -- getting traces of the boot process for both the failing and successful cases, but I would like to know if anyone else has managed to find any answers to the following questions yet:

• Are other people getting the intermittent "bad boot" (no IP) problem?  Did you manage to fix it and if so, how did you do it?
  • Anyone else still getting the problem where the system gets locked out at about 26 min to 28 min into a networked video?  Any solutions?
  • Some of the documentation says I should use "-Dwext" for Zydas wireless, but only "-Dotus" seems to work.  Are the docs just wrong? What is the difference between the two parameter values?
  • Also, my wireless connection wasn't working until I went from:
    wpa_supplicant -Bw -Dotus -i$MDEV -c/tmp/mnt/sda1/wpa_supplicant.conf
    to
    In other words, I had to add spaces between the option names and their values.  Is that a quirk of the WDLXTV implementation or am I just hallucinating??!!
  • Is there a way to modify the boot process/sequence of WDLXTV without having to modify the firmware image?  I'm not a Linux expert, but if there was a way to change the boot sequence (or at least the timing) then I could play with that to see if I can make the boot sequence more reliable.

Any assistance anyone can provide would be of great help, paticularly from others who have a fully working system with a zd1211b wireless-G modem.

Thanks,

MikeW

August 17, 2009, 03:05:58 PM
Reply #1

tacitus

Hey B-rad -- some tracelog info for the (suspected) race condition I describe in the OP for you to chew on!  :)

I just did 11 telnet reboots on my WDTV with 4 successes and 7 failures (boots and has network access, but remote control doesn't work when playing videos).  Looking at the trace logs, there is one pattern that holds for all the reboots. (All snippets are from the near the end of the tracelogs.)

All four successful reboots have the following lines:

user.debug kernel: RadioOn
daemon.info utelnetd[1122]: utelnetd (port: 23, ifname: any, login: /bin/login) startup succeeded
user.notice root: net.agent: No IP provided, doing DHCP
user.debug kernel: *** Block Non-EAPol packet before key installed:0800
user.debug kernel: Set to CCK
user.debug kernel: Set to OFDM
user.debug kernel: ir: Enable NEC decoder (0x00000000)
user.debug kernel: ir: Enable RC5 decoder (0x80001e80)

The exact order of the first 4 lines varies, but the last five always appear in this sequence (though one successful trace is missing the "*** Block" line)

Five out of the seven failed reboots give traces like this:
daemon.info utelnetd[1122]: utelnetd (port: 23, ifname: any, login: /bin/login) startup succeeded

Again, the order of the first four lines varies, but the two "Enable" lines always appear before the "Set" lines (unlike the successful reboots) and there is no "*** Block Non-EAPol packet before key installed:0800" line anywhere in the trace file.

The other two failed reboots actually do report problems:

daemon.info utelnetd[1188]: utelnetd (port: 23, ifname: any, login: /bin/login) startup succeeded
user.err kernel: ******We Lose AP for 5 seconds
user.debug kernel: zd1205_notify_disjoin_event

user.debug kernel: chkpnt 001

As you can see, there are two "*** Block" lines in these cases, followed by another couple of error messages.

Finally, one of the failed cases also reports some "Very Serious" errors:

user.err kernel: 1211_readl failed for 5 attempts...Very Serious

I must stress that, in all cases, wireless network access does work -- I was able to telnet back in every time, but in the failed cases, the WDTV was left in a very unstable state where:
  • the screen saver appears within seconds
  • the menu freezes
  • ff/rew/pause/menu buttons on the remote don't work when playing a video

I don't know enough about the Linux kernel to say whether these boot log differences are significant, but hopefully they will give you a clue as to where to look for a solution.

I am happy to try a tweaked version of WDLXTV if you need a tester, or to run one to collect more debug information, if necessary.

August 17, 2009, 09:00:17 PM
Reply #2

tacitus

Okay -- I've been playing with my net.config file again and seem to have made some progress.  I first tried turning off DHCP, but that didn't make any difference.

Then I tried putting the "sleep" commands back in.

Well, even though I had tried this before (but perhaps not since I had sorted out the rest of the issues with the net.config file?), my WDTV box is booting correctly every time!

This is my current net.config file:
HOST=wdtv
MTU=1500
sleep 10
ifconfig $MDEV up
sleep 10
DHCP=no
IP=192.168.0.106
GW=192.168.0.1
NM=255.255.255.0
DNS1=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
DNS2=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
SUPPRESS_OTHERS=yes

First problem solved!  Adding the sleep commands obviously does help the wireless adapter boot sequence to complete correctly.  I thought I had tried this before, but... ah well.

The second problem listed above is still happening -- around the 26-29 minute mark playing all types of files (mp3 or DIVX) the video "locks in" -- the progress bar freezes, as does ff/rew, and the video continues to play even though you exit to the menu system.  You can no longer play any other videos.

August 21, 2009, 09:06:59 AM
Reply #3

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Okay -- I've been playing with my net.config file again and seem to have made some progress.  I first tried turning off DHCP, but that didn't make any difference.

Then I tried putting the "sleep" commands back in.

Well, even though I had tried this before (but perhaps not since I had sorted out the rest of the issues with the net.config file?), my WDTV box is booting correctly every time!

This is my current net.config file:
HOST=wdtv
MTU=1500
sleep 10
ifconfig $MDEV up
sleep 10
DHCP=no
IP=192.168.0.106
GW=192.168.0.1
NM=255.255.255.0
DNS1=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
DNS2=nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
SUPPRESS_OTHERS=yes

First problem solved!  Adding the sleep commands obviously does help the wireless adapter boot sequence to complete correctly.  I thought I had tried this before, but... ah well.

The second problem listed above is still happening -- around the 26-29 minute mark playing all types of files (mp3 or DIVX) the video "locks in" -- the progress bar freezes, as does ff/rew, and the video continues to play even though you exit to the menu system.  You can no longer play any other videos.

these traces are a bit interesting. Have you tried removing the wireless package and seeing if your wdtv still stops playing at the same point? I've had a bunch of peeps contact me off my site and they've stated that the freezing problems went away the moment they removed the wireless app. I don't think everyone who experiences this problem has been using wireless, but if they are it would be a good spot to start inspection. One of my wdtv's has been on and playing off my nfs for well over a week now without a single freeze, I give it an occasional reboot too...just to try and mix it up, but mine simply will not stop functioning.

August 23, 2009, 01:10:07 AM
Reply #4

tzi

Hi!

I just wonder, because of the approx. 30 Minutes runtime before the freeze: Maybe its a DHCP lease which gots renewed? (Ok, in your case you have a fixed IP, but somebody else?) Or, is maybe a WPA Rekeying going on? Or another periodic progress?

Just ideas... Tom

October 15, 2009, 06:42:04 PM
Reply #5

carmatana

I had the freeze problems when just after installing webserver addons 0.2, I am not using wireless app. Uninstalling it resolved the problem

September 13, 2012, 05:54:31 PM
Reply #6

arfgh

1 - dont use b-rad wireless pack, has no drivers for zd1211b
2 - static ip is never assigned using wpa_supplicant (dont know why)
3 - i have obtained the same freeze, with webserver-addons 0.3

September 14, 2012, 03:59:46 AM
Reply #7

RavRob

• DeSpammer

Please stop resurrecting posts dated in 2009.  These people either fixed their problems or just don't care or exist anymore.  Giving an answer to a 3 1/2 year old question does nothing for the forum.
Windows 7 Ultimate with SP1
WDTV Live
1.02.21 WDLXTV 0.5.1.4 (Beta)
Linksys - WUSB600N USB Adapter
DLink - Dir-655 Router
Atheros - AR8131 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
XBMC - The Future of Television