Author Topic: Help/Explaination required - share from wdtv to laptop via nfs/explain apps  (Read 3626 times)

August 12, 2009, 11:48:52 PM
Read 3626 times

tilerone

Hi all,
I'm new to WDTV and the forum, so first off..... great site thanks.
I've been reading up on here and the other WDTV forums plus b-rad.cc blogg etc etc.
I only bought this to play about with as I was sick of users asking me about the WDTV unit on a movie site I'm admin at, but now I've found a use for it by letting the mrs use it and keeping her off my main media network. BONUS :D

I'm a linux and WDTV n00b.This is what I've done so far:

*Installed WDLXTV firmware  V0.5.6.1
*Addon's installed:
samba
 nfs
pureftp
wireless mod
event-osd
Optware
webserver
webserver addons
eiri.app
*Added 4 port USB hub.
*Networked using Dlinks D140 wireless usb adapter :D

320G passport drive attached to WDTV USB 1
Wireless adapter and 4G usb flash drive attached to USB 2 via USB hub
Passport drive is mapped on my laptop running windows 7.
I can access the files on my WDTV unit either through FTP or through windows explorer.

Apologies if the answers to my questions are already on the forum somewhere, but here goes.....

1) OK so I've heard NFS is a faster way to stream files. What I'm after is to mount (I think the word is) the passport drive which is contected to the WDTV  using NFS, so my mrs laptop which is running windows 7 can stream music files to itunes installed on it. I've read how to get wdtv to see nfs shares on windows but i want it the other way windows 7 to see the nfs shares on the passport drive attached to the WDTV unit. HELP.
I'm after an idiot guide please to do the above, as using samba is freezing up the connection when i try to import the LARGE music lib intro itunes (200G). (think I'll have to import it bit by bit anyway as itunes sucks when ready large lib's)

PS. she loves the album art work scrolly thing itunes does. (can't just let her use the webserver mp3 player as with a big lib of music it is hard to navigate thro all the tracks)

2) What is WDLXTV App pack: UPnP-djmount.app.bin-0.2.1 and what does it do exactly as the explaination i've found so far aint that good.

3) I cant seem to get the WDTV unit to reocgnise another external Hd I plug into the usb hub.... ANY IDEA'S ?

Any advice ..guide, video tut,s are appreciated.
Cheers in advance
Steve :)

August 13, 2009, 03:36:49 PM
Reply #1

jimsta10

Hi all,
I'm new to WDTV and the forum, so first off..... great site thanks.
I've been reading up on here and the other WDTV forums plus b-rad.cc blogg etc etc.
I only bought this to play about with as I was sick of users asking me about the WDTV unit on a movie site I'm admin at, but now I've found a use for it by letting the mrs use it and keeping her off my main media network. BONUS :D

I'm a linux and WDTV n00b.This is what I've done so far:

*Installed WDLXTV firmware  V0.5.6.1
*Addon's installed:
samba
 nfs
pureftp
wireless mod
event-osd
Optware
webserver
webserver addons
eiri.app
*Added 4 port USB hub.
*Networked using Dlinks D140 wireless usb adapter :D

320G passport drive attached to WDTV USB 1
Wireless adapter and 4G usb flash drive attached to USB 2 via USB hub
Passport drive is mapped on my laptop running windows 7.
I can access the files on my WDTV unit either through FTP or through windows explorer.

Apologies if the answers to my questions are already on the forum somewhere, but here goes.....

1) OK so I've heard NFS is a faster way to stream files. What I'm after is to mount (I think the word is) the passport drive which is contected to the WDTV  using NFS, so my mrs laptop which is running windows 7 can stream music files to itunes installed on it. I've read how to get wdtv to see nfs shares on windows but i want it the other way windows 7 to see the nfs shares on the passport drive attached to the WDTV unit. HELP.
I'm after an idiot guide please to do the above, as using samba is freezing up the connection when i try to import the LARGE music lib intro itunes (200G). (think I'll have to import it bit by bit anyway as itunes sucks when ready large lib's)

PS. she loves the album art work scrolly thing itunes does. (can't just let her use the webserver mp3 player as with a big lib of music it is hard to navigate thro all the tracks)

2) What is WDLXTV App pack: UPnP-djmount.app.bin-0.2.1 and what does it do exactly as the explaination i've found so far aint that good.

3) I cant seem to get the WDTV unit to reocgnise another external Hd I plug into the usb hub.... ANY IDEA'S ?

Any advice ..guide, video tut,s are appreciated.
Cheers in advance
Steve :)

first of all, the dwa-140 is really bad, transfer rate is useless, you cant even transfer 1m let alone 200G. use a LAN adaptor.
if your nfs is mounted properly you should be able to see it under windows networks in the explorer, then you can transfer that way. upnp is a function that allows you to watch streaming movies from apps like TVeristy Server. just like if you had a PS3 and you want to watch it from you media centre etc...some like upnp some like nfs..take you pick, im running both, using a LAN usb adapter now. works a treat.

August 13, 2009, 11:08:21 PM
Reply #2

tilerone

As I said I'm not looking to transfer the files just import the lib.

I'm using wireless as I don't want wired.

How is the DWA 140 bad ?... I've been getting transfer speeds about the same (give or take) as other wireless adapters from what I've seen from stats on here and other forums..
Can you back up your claim about the DWA 140 please with stats ?
Bought this unit to test as already have a tvix HD M-6500A and popcorn hour and a dedicated media network for me. This is for the Mrs once I've played around. :)

I've heard users speak about TVersity on another forum. If I install upnp is there a media server like TVersity that looks like ITUNES GUI and is good for music ?

So how do I mount the Passport drive attached to the wdtv unit and stream music to the laptop so itunes see's it ???

:)

August 14, 2009, 07:53:42 AM
Reply #3

Mr Lazy

• Mr Lazy
What I'm after is to mount (I think the word is) the passport drive which is contected to the WDTV  using NFS, so my mrs laptop which is running windows 7 can stream music files to itunes installed on it. I've read how to get wdtv to see nfs shares on windows but i want it the other way windows 7 to see the nfs shares on the passport drive attached to the WDTV unit.

I could be wrong but I don't think you're going to be able to do this easily at the moment.  In v0.2 of his nfs app pack B-Rad states that it might be possible to setup an external drive attached to the WDTV as an NFS server, sounds like that is his aim but he hasn't tested it fully yet.  You could give it a try: http://b-rad.cc/928/wdlxtv-app-pack-nfs

I'm not sure if all the required RPC processes are installed as part of WDLXTV or ext3-boot by default (I doubt it, but I'm having a dig around at the moment).

using samba is freezing up the connection when i try to import the LARGE music lib intro itunes (200G)

This seems to be an issue with Windows 7 and the WD TV - I don't think it's to do with the size of the copy, probably more like the SAMBA implementation in Win7 - I have found that in Win 7 it's very very slow when browsing the WD TV and it's directories via Explorer (ie. Network).  Can you try it with Vista or XP to see how it compares?
Gen1, ext3-boot, Belkin AX88178 Gigabit adapter, Synology DS109 NAS

How-to setup WD TV with NFS shares

August 14, 2009, 10:30:11 AM
Reply #4

tilerone

Thanks Mr Lazy.
Yes that's exactly what I was looking to do.
I have the app-pack-nfs installed already, but that's as far as I got.
I'll have a word in brads ear :)
I'll also take a closer look at the web music player and see if I can configure it so my Mrs is happy, just in case it isn't possible to setup an external drive attached to the WDTV as an NFS server.
(Gotta be a way  ;) )

Cheers for the heads up on win7.

On my travels around the net it appears there are no real idiot guides or even video tutorials on youtube regarding modding the wdtv etc....think once I'm settled with this stuff I'll post a few. When you start talking about config files etc etc some users panic. I know on the forum I admin when I mentioned you could network the unit and started talking .dat and .net  config files the members went a little  ??? :o.