Author Topic: "No Storage Present" - I need help  (Read 5102 times)

August 09, 2009, 07:51:19 PM
Read 5102 times

LiquidGabe

Well, I've been enjoying my wdtv for a while now, but have recently had some problems with my drive not being recognized.  Ironically, this is a WD drive - 400gb 2.5" formatted HFS.  It was Fat32 for a time, and started exhibiting the problem then, and I've since gotten a HD screen and needed to move beyond the 2gig limit of fat32.  I have unplugged the unit and that has cleared up the problem in the past, but isn't working tonight.  My little flash drive shows no problem, and the disk hooked to the computer has no problems...

I've come to rely on this little thing, and praised it to so many that I'm feeling quite put out.

Anyone out there able to take me back to my happy place?

August 10, 2009, 12:27:56 AM
Reply #1

potnoodles

If you can connect/see the drive OK on a Windows machine - the File Allocation table is probably corrupted and windows can fix it.

Hook the drive up to a windows computer and run checkdsk on it - when finished it should work on WDTV.

Always Use the following rules to avoid Allocation Table corruption.

1. Always use safely remove hardware (with windows) - if that doesnt work close the windows computer down before removing the USB drive.
2. Always unmount the drive properly (in Linux)
3. Always eject the drive using the remote (in WDTV)

There is always the possibility that the drive is knackerered as well.
WDLXTV 0.5.5 ndas.app.bin
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- USBkey(FAT16 -f/w and a divx on root)
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- LG GGC H20L multi Blu/HD-DVD Rom
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- Belkin Gigabit Ethernet<-Netgear Gigabit Lan 8 port <- NDAS devices and Vista NFS
WDTV USB2 <- 4 port Hub
WDTV USB1 <- HDD

August 10, 2009, 08:59:20 AM
Reply #2

LiquidGabe

The drive is HFS, OSX disk utility thinks its okay, and it does work fine on the WDTV - when its working.  If I unplug the WDTV and let it sit, then reboot it, often this fixes the problem, but not always.

August 11, 2009, 03:24:13 AM
Reply #3

potnoodles

Sorry Gabe - HFS (and Os-X) is way out of my experience.
but point 3 (above) still applies

3. Always eject the drive using the remote (in WDTV)
WDLXTV 0.5.5 ndas.app.bin
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- USBkey(FAT16 -f/w and a divx on root)
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- LG GGC H20L multi Blu/HD-DVD Rom
4 port USB 2.0 Hub <- Belkin Gigabit Ethernet<-Netgear Gigabit Lan 8 port <- NDAS devices and Vista NFS
WDTV USB2 <- 4 port Hub
WDTV USB1 <- HDD

August 14, 2009, 07:52:32 AM
Reply #4

jamerican

???LiquidGabe, did you format the drive as HFS+ (Journaled)? It should not be journaled and under Optons when formatting, you should use GUID Partition. I have 6 different drives formatted this way - including Flash Drives - and they all work perfectly.
Hope this helps. 8)