Author Topic: WDTV (HDMI) -> TV (TOSLINK) -> Reciever... 5.1 or Stereo?  (Read 1767 times)

August 04, 2009, 07:38:29 AM
Read 1767 times

abbool

Hello!

I've been looking through the forums for an answer to this and have found a few related posts, but nothing truly concrete. Maybe I'm just blind? :-[

Anyhow, I have my WDTV connected to my Sharp Aquos (LCD42D65U) via HDMI. The TV is then connected to my Logitech Z-680's via TOSLINK. Now, I'm aware that I can't get DTS this way, that's not a problem, I can just convert to AC3. My concern, however, is that the TV is converting the AC3 audio into stereo sound by having it plugged in this way. Can anybody actually confirm or deny this?

I'd plug the WDTV in directly if it wasn't for the fact that I have 4 HDMI devices plugged into the TV and only one TOSLINK port on the Z-680's. I could always connect my cable box via COAX cable, but that would still leave two devices without audio.

Thanks in advance!

August 05, 2009, 05:25:52 AM
Reply #1

abbool

Well, after more research and testing on my end, I figured out that it definitely down-mixes the signal to 2.0. Seems pretty pointless to me, but what do I know!? :p

I've wired everything differently now, so all is well that ends well.