Author Topic: Subtitles out of sync  (Read 18642 times)

January 25, 2009, 02:33:23 PM
Read 18642 times

CitizenJane

I watch lots of XviD .AVI and x264 .MKV video files with external subtitles (.srt / .ass does not matter) and ALL of them are out of sync!
On the computer these subtitles are perfectly sync, but not on the WD TV.
What can I do?

January 25, 2009, 09:12:43 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
To fix this use a program called MKVmerge. It is free.    :)

Create a mkv with all the files : video, sound and srt subs.  It is quick too.  Takes about 5 minutes for a 4.5 gb movie   

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 03, 2009, 03:54:13 AM
Reply #2

waterlooscp

Hi ppl,

The problems with the subtitles could be easy fixed by converting the .srt files to .ssa files.

This change could be easily made with the subtitle workshop. Only takes 5 seconds (is a save as).

After that process the subtitles will work like a charm.

Waterloo
Portugal

March 27, 2009, 03:23:51 AM
Reply #3

rataweb

Create a mkv with all the files : video, sound and srt subs.  It is quick too.  Takes about 5 minutes for a 4.5 gb movie   

I use MKVmerge for add srt files, but when i play the video, when it arrives at the end, the last 20 seconds (aprox) of the video, the substitles don't show!!!!!

Thanks!!!

March 27, 2009, 04:25:15 AM
Reply #4

waterlooscp

Hi rataweb,

Convert the .srt files to .ssa (substation alpha) with subtitle workshop. Is the faster and easiest way to synchronize .

Works like .srt so you don't need to merge anything.

Like i said is a Save as process.

Waterlooscp

March 27, 2009, 04:30:35 AM
Reply #5

3dxr

• Global Moderator

I use MKVmerge for add srt files, but when i play the video, when it arrives at the end, the last 20 seconds (aprox) of the video, the substitles don't show!!!!!

Thanks!!!

This is well known issue latest firmware 1.01.02 also .SRT in external file have issues

if you are remuxing movie try find also native audio track and add to movie second audio track this will not fix subtitle issue
but you will not need subtitle anymore ;)

or use SSA and subtitle workshop

March 27, 2009, 04:37:26 PM
Reply #6

rataweb

if you are remuxing movie try find also native audio track and add to movie second audio track this will not fix subtitle issue

It's true, but the problem is when the video doesn't have another audio track because isn't dubbing yet!!!!

I think that i'll test with ssa subtitles.

Thanks!!!

March 27, 2009, 05:08:53 PM
Reply #7

rataweb

It's true, but the problem is when the video doesn't have another audio track because isn't dubbing yet!!!!

I think that i'll test with ssa subtitles.

Thanks!!!

Perfect!!! Converting to .ssa with 'Subtitle Workshop' it works fine!!!!

Thanks!!!!

April 03, 2009, 02:51:22 AM
Reply #8

Kralle

May I ask what the .srt to .ssa converting does to the subtitle? Is it easier for WD TV to read the subtitle or what? :)

April 19, 2009, 03:24:55 AM
Reply #9

Quinton

Hi ppl,

The problems with the subtitles could be easy fixed by converting the .srt files to .ssa files.

This change could be easily made with the subtitle workshop. Only takes 5 seconds (is a save as).

After that process the subtitles will work like a charm.

Waterloo
Portugal

The subtitle's delay is non completely fixed with the conversion to .ssa
From time to time the delay reappear.

April 22, 2009, 11:33:25 AM
Reply #10

kwanbis

Sorry, i don't understand how converting to SSA would fix the sync.

As far as i know, the subtitles sync issues, could be related to:

1) Subtitles timed for a 24.9 fps movie, and played on a 25 fps movie (there are other FPS options)
2) Subtitles for a different video "release".
3) Subtitles badly sync originaly.

Fixes are:
1) Set the good FPS
2) If the FPS is the same, just move the first subtitle, with subtitle workshop, to the right starting position, and it should be ok.
3) Manually re-sync, or get a better subtitle.

Now, i don't get how can saving in another format, SSA, can fix any of this, unless i'm missing something.

June 16, 2009, 11:09:27 AM
Reply #11

partake

Well, I can attest to that simply "save as .ssa" doesn't seem to fix the out-of-sync problem for me.

September 08, 2009, 03:56:50 PM
Reply #12

Monteplus3

How can you tell what the FPS are for a particular movie so the correct subtitle can be placed in the file?  Thanks.

September 09, 2009, 09:52:20 AM
Reply #13

Ron[NL]

• WDTV Movie Sheet Generator
How can you tell what the FPS are for a particular movie so the correct subtitle can be placed in the file?  Thanks.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
WDLXTV 0.5.8.1 + Showcase v2 OSD Mod

Philips 40PFL8605H, Sitecom WL-351

Trust HU-5440 USB Hub
WDTV MSG 1.7.0,  TheTvDBv3.0 TVSheetGenerator - rev 5.4.1

September 29, 2009, 07:15:37 AM
Reply #14

Pangadaywalker

If the subtitle is out of synch always with 5 seconds for example, you can use the Subtitle Workshop to synch the time as a bulk. Easy...

If it goes umsynching more and more then what you have is a movie with a different FPS then your subtitle.

You can also use the subtitle workshop in this case. You need to know the movie FPS by using MediaInfo.

For example, let's us say you have a movie 23,97fps and subtitle with 25 fps.

Open the subtitle in the SW. In the left side you have two options. Input and Output. In the input you will put the subtitle fps (the site where you downloaded usually will tell you) in this case 25 and in the option right below you will put 23,97. SW will calculate all the subtitle again for you.

Just save it as SRT (Subrip) or whatever you like it.

I never miss a single subtitle by doing that in the last 5 years.

Cheers.
My set: