Author Topic: it's growing fast..we need to organize!  (Read 9687 times)

July 29, 2009, 02:56:32 AM
Reply #15

powerleakin

yes central location is better,imho..and some don't like rapidshare...
what we can do is main location should be either webspace or sourceforge
then if anyone wants, mirrors can be added...rapidshare, mediafire etc...

July 29, 2009, 10:54:30 AM
Reply #16

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
WOW,

This thread grew fast.   I agree there needs to be more organized information.   The problem is that I can't do it alone.  The advertising on this site BARELY covers the costs.  I plan to add a Wordpress blog and some articles to the front page of this site.   So far though no-one I have approached to contribute is willing to write anything.  I would love to have guides to all the homebrew projects, as well as several lists (for example ref frame limits) that people can refer to.   This site is getting thousands of hits a day and it is becoming unwieldy, but I have no staff.   If any of you are interested in contributing LET ME KNOW.  I can have a Wordpress blog with articles up in a couple days.  But the key is that it has to be updated as info/firmware changes.  That was the situation with the WIKI.  Promises were made that it would always be updated etc.  BTW hosting files on my server is no problem. I have lots of space. 

As always I welcome all your thoughts and ideas.  

J
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

July 30, 2009, 07:54:58 AM
Reply #17

bobosquishy

I would vote for wiki as well. I do not think it will be easy to structure the info about all mods in such a way as it fits the database format; the mods are just too different.

Probably the best way to do it would be people documenting their mods directly in the wiki not in these threads. This way it will not require much additional effort on their side.

Agreed.  It also allows others to add helpful information and clarification.  The only real challenge is to figure out a clear and simple way of keeping the wiki organized and easy to navigate for the layman.  It shouldn't be a problem with the right wiki software.  The software for the current wiki is very poor.

Back to re-designing WIKI I will open WIKI maybe soon and I am not sure if too many people will be able
work together and update content seriously.

That will not help.  Not enough people know about the wiki and there is also the problem with the wiki software being bad.  There are a few steps that will make the wiki a success.

1. Make a main page for this site that has prominent links to the forum and the wiki so that when people come here, they will always see that there is also a wiki.
2. Get better wiki software.  Use the same software that wikipedia uses, so that people are familiar with it, plus it is the best wiki software anyway.  I realize that this will require hosting with SQL, but if you want the wiki to work and be successful, then it is my strong opinion that it must be done.
3. Open a discussion page for ideas about how to organize the wiki, and feature a prominent link to it from the wiki's main page.  The whole point of a wiki is to get other people participating.  Don't try to control it; let the users do that.  Moderators should only be needed for banning spammers/vandals and deleting pages and files, not for being dictators.

The advertising on this site BARELY covers the costs.

This site is getting thousands of hits a day and it is becoming unwieldy, but I have no staff.

Start accepting donations, maybe?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:00:56 AM by bobosquishy »
I reserve the right to ignore you for any reason.

July 30, 2009, 04:33:58 PM
Reply #18

Fishbowls

folks i dont know anything about making and maintaining websites and wiki's
but
i was wondering if http://sites.google.com/ fits the bill
end-users wiki http://wdtv.wetpaint.com
Custom Firmware wiki http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php
mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
start here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.msg7613#ms
wdtv+ext3-boot-9.2+sabrent gbit adapter+
rss/weather+disco-webserver. this thing is cool eh.

July 30, 2009, 11:33:39 PM
Reply #19

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser

July 30, 2009, 11:58:32 PM
Reply #20

powerleakin

so i guess one step that we can at least take now is decide whether it should be wiki or some other system...

reading the posts,i see that quite a few say wiki is the way to go...does everyone agree?

can anyone detail this further? (ie. comparing it head-on with a...i don know what you call it,a database system?)

btw,thanks elm for putting it up in your blog..hope to see more ppl putting forward their ideas and suggestion..

July 31, 2009, 07:50:48 AM
Reply #21

mike2k8

I thing that an easy to use open wiki would be a very good thing. (I centainly would have writen some information on the current wiki if it was open.)
This is a must to store the relevant information originated in the forum. This way, you can point people to the wiki when they ask the same questions again in the forum. And the relevant info is there and you don't have to navigate a lot of threads to find bits of information.

Being said that. A software repository is needed too. It would be great to have everything in one place. For OSS projects, sourceforge could be used, but it would be needed another alternative for closed source mods.

Having both, the updated wiki and the software repository, surely would bring more developers to work in our little black box.

It's only my opinion from an user point of view. :)

July 31, 2009, 10:04:16 AM
Reply #22

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
If you guys can find good wiki software I will install it at wdtvforum.com/wiki and link it from the first page.  Then anyone can add to it all you want and we can reference it in forum postings.  

This might work.   http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

July 31, 2009, 11:25:54 AM
Reply #23

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
MediaWiki is the obvious choice, it works, everybody knows and can handle it. A friend of mine who needed a week to "get" Thunderbird to write mail changed content on Wikipedia the same week without any help =)

Would be nice if Wiki authentication is bundled together with the Forum. I guess it lowers the threshold for people to change the wiki content and write articles. But we should probably check back with rezmus on the wiki at wdtv.org because there is already a lot of content.

July 31, 2009, 11:37:37 AM
Reply #24

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I need to upgrade my servers to PHP5 (from 4) to use MediaWiki.  Hopefully this will not cause any problems  :-\

July 31, 2009, 11:40:18 AM
Reply #25

rezmus

i'm just hosting wiki.wdtv.org, about content / administration u should talk to 3dxr. i don;t mind setting up open mediawiki @ wdtv.org, but if u can bundle it with board auth could be even better.

August 01, 2009, 08:15:43 AM
Reply #26

reaverxai

I'm the one that created the application database on here.

Currently I'm working on creating a database that can be edited by anyone (or a select group) and fully lists all the things I featured in my first list, plus many of the suggestions from this thread.

August 03, 2009, 04:56:22 AM
Reply #27

CrashX

We also need to fix the forum so that it has subforums, ie:

Homebrew/Custom Firmware
   -> General Discussion -> Newbie to wdtv ..
   -> Homebrew Releases -> releases
   -> Development -> Discussion on development of apps

We need to have sticky as well ..

August 03, 2009, 04:57:59 AM
Reply #28

CrashX

I'm the one that created the application database on here.

Currently I'm working on creating a database that can be edited by anyone (or a select group) and fully lists all the things I featured in my first list, plus many of the suggestions from this thread.

Please make sure that Forum's login information is the same as wiki. 

August 03, 2009, 09:46:08 AM
Reply #29

mike2k8

Wouldn't it be better to wait to have an open mediawiki (if possible, like rezmus says, bundled with board authentication), and put it there?

We also need to fix the forum so that it has subforums, ie:

Homebrew/Custom Firmware
   -> General Discussion -> Newbie to wdtv ..
   -> Homebrew Releases -> releases
   -> Development -> Discussion on development of apps
We need to have sticky as well ..
I don't see the need to further divide the forum. It's good as is. For newbies you already have a sticky, as you have one for releases, which could have a link to the list in the wiki.