Author Topic: Alternative to rtorrent?  (Read 3908 times)

July 26, 2009, 05:02:46 AM
Read 3908 times

mart

What is the alternative to rtorrent which is great but works very unstable (freezes, crashes etc)?
The only requirement is stable work

July 26, 2009, 05:49:43 AM
Reply #1

phatoshwest

There are enhanced-ctorrent and transmission. You can use and test them.
Also check http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1416.msg11095 and http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1384.0
WDTV <- USB1 <- 500GB HDD (EXT2)
WDTV <- USB2 <- Powered HUB <- Airties WUS-201 Wifi <- Internet
WDTV <- USB2 <- Powered HUB <- 2GB Boot Flash-disk

July 26, 2009, 09:48:24 PM
Reply #2

TON

I used btpd. It is purely cmd line oriented and is very minimalistic. The only major drawback though is its inability to download just selected file from a torrent, the full torrent is always downloaded.

You can install a python GUI for it. Worked pretty stable for me and uses very small amount of memory like just 5Mb.

Unfortunately the repository version of btpd is broken. I have found working one at one of the Russian sites. I can post it here if you are interested.

July 27, 2009, 01:52:28 AM
Reply #3

phatoshwest

Will you please post it. I want to try.
WDTV <- USB1 <- 500GB HDD (EXT2)
WDTV <- USB2 <- Powered HUB <- Airties WUS-201 Wifi <- Internet
WDTV <- USB2 <- Powered HUB <- 2GB Boot Flash-disk

July 27, 2009, 05:11:58 AM
Reply #4

TON

Here it goes :D

I did it the following way: installed btpd via ipkg, checked that 'btpd' command gave an error about missing exports (or something similar), then just copied the files from the attached archive to '/opt/bin' overwriting the existing ones.

For details see btpd project web site http://www.murmeldjur.se/btpd/ though you can get almost the same information by just running 'btpd --help'.

If you like it you can then attach btpd-webui: http://code.google.com/p/btpd-webui/ by using ipkg to install python and other necessary libraries then just downloading the python code and compiling right on WDTV.

July 27, 2009, 01:50:25 PM
Reply #5

mart

September 06, 2009, 02:43:53 PM
Reply #6

kidproquo

Ton,

After copying your versions into /opt/bin I get SIGSERV when I try running btpd. Comments?

Regards,
Kid

September 07, 2009, 02:49:15 AM
Reply #7

TON

kidproquo

No comments actually :o

I have reinstalled it many times already and it just always worked nicely.
Did you install btpd at first using ipkg? I believe this is a necessary step though I am not completely sure.
I can also suppose some shared libraries conflict. What other packages do you have installled?
I believe I had some problems with btpd and rtorrent some time ago and I finished with separate opt.bin's: one with rtorrent installed and the other with btpd. I did not use rtorrent one for a long time though.

I have btpd running for two weeks in a row without a single reboot.

September 21, 2009, 03:21:08 PM
Reply #8

Frosty_CRO

What is the alternative to rtorrent which is great but works very unstable (freezes, crashes etc)?
The only requirement is stable work

I don't know what's happening on your end, but rtorrent uptime on my side is about 60 days, working 24/7, ten $hitloads of torrents upped and dloaded, no problems whatsoever. I bet your rtorrent.config is messed up, and that's causing all sorts of headaches for you.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:28:40 PM by Frosty_CRO »
Too much free time on my hands...

September 21, 2009, 11:10:57 PM
Reply #9

Steve

I used btpd. It is purely cmd line oriented and is very minimalistic. The only major drawback though is its inability to download just selected file from a torrent, the full torrent is always downloaded.

You can install a python GUI for it. Worked pretty stable for me and uses very small amount of memory like just 5Mb.

Unfortunately the repository version of btpd is broken. I have found working one at one of the Russian sites. I can post it here if you are interested.

Can you write a Step by Step HowTo?
WD Live FW 0.4.2.0
Attention German User

September 22, 2009, 08:46:18 AM
Reply #10

Frosty_CRO

From the BTPD site:

STATUS
Btpd 0.15 was just released. The main focus for the next release will probably be DHT support.

A deal-breaker for me... still gonna run with the rtorrent :D

September 23, 2009, 12:18:55 PM
Reply #11

kidproquo

Frosty,

What network dongle are you using? I use an rt73 based wireless dongle with smartP's driver and it freezes after some time. rtorrent has been running fine without any crashes after updating the rc file, but the network keeps going down.

Ton,

I read about your adventures with the rt73 based dongle and can relate :-). Did you ever manage to get the stability issue resolved (other than by going for a ZyDas based device)?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:02:42 PM by kidproquo »

September 23, 2009, 03:03:04 PM
Reply #12

Frosty_CRO

I am using a Zydas 1211 based one ( got it off e-bay for measely 3 bucks ). The damn thing works like a motherflocker! I am seriously impressed with the stability and speed.