Author Topic: YouTube Support Teaser  (Read 18092 times)

July 28, 2009, 12:21:24 AM
Reply #15

lilibabe

• http://wdtv.free.fr/
Nice job and nice new website too !

Even if i'm not using WDLXTV, i can try to design something... What kind of graphics do you need ?

in the long term I though of the following structure
YouTube Home
=> Featured Videos
=> Most Popular
=> Search
  => Keyboard layout
=> Channels
  .... all categories from youtube

So a home screen where the four parts are nicely organized first, then a design for browsing the video files (list+thumb) that matches the home screen's overall design. And of course the keyboards. Keyboard files were a bit tricky, but its feasible, although loading is a little slow (about 1.5 seconds instead of instantly).

When this integrates in your other design it's of course optimal =)

The current plan is to use the default OSD layout for normal browsing and just use the keyboard for search queries, so everything is normal anyway. A fancy design that skins the whole YouTube support is just nice-to-have eye candy.

ciao,
elm

ok, but like this it isn't very clear for me ! can you give me a sketch?  ;)
If you appreciate my work and want to contribute, feel free to donate at http://wdtv.free.fr/

July 28, 2009, 03:24:59 AM
Reply #16

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
I have a suggestion though it might be difficult to implement. Is it possible to make switchable keyboard layouts? There are quite a few languages that are not based on the Latin alphabet and it would be nice to support them as well. I believe people would agree to some delays when the layouts are switched. Some coding like UTF8 should be used internally as well.

Switchable after a reboot yes, during browsing would be a little difficult indeed. UTF-8 int the very long run yes, but I'm not sure how and when because it affects everything starting from the YouTube interface via different parsers to the file name display.

ciao,
elm

July 28, 2009, 03:50:41 AM
Reply #17

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Great work once again!

Technical question, are you using the same 'wrapper' to stream the files as with the apple trailers? In the past I tried filling up the apple trailers movies.txt (that json file) with links and images from youtube. Off course this is much more elegant. Even with a search function. Very nice!

July 28, 2009, 04:35:56 AM
Reply #18

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Great work once again!

Technical question, are you using the same 'wrapper' to stream the files as with the apple trailers? In the past I tried filling up the apple trailers movies.txt (that json file) with links and images from youtube.

Yes, the streaming code is the same.

Regarding the movies.json file: A future release of appletrailerfs will also contain a movies.json file that is more configurable, e.g. you are not bound by the current folder structure, you can just specify a URL and its local path and this way create your own internet archive.

ciao,
elm

July 28, 2009, 04:52:44 AM
Reply #19

redindian

Yeah, I was thinking in the future we could have a 'generic' stream wrapper that will handle urls as local files so for instance I could modify the code to write a dbox interface so I can watch a SAT stream over the LAN.

July 28, 2009, 09:29:42 PM
Reply #20

TON

Switchable after a reboot yes, during browsing would be a little difficult indeed. UTF-8 int the very long run yes, but I'm not sure how and when because it affects everything starting from the YouTube interface via different parsers to the file name display.

That is why I mentioned UTF8 now in hope it is not too late  :), I understand that the code is to be designed from the very bottom with this in mind. I think I am too late but it won't prevent me from being happy with this mod after it becomes available ;D

Thanks a lot for all the effort!

PS Keyboard should be switchable on the fly; there is no use of keyboard that can be switched only after a reboot. So do not bother about implementing this one.

July 29, 2009, 09:09:34 AM
Reply #21

mike2k8

Good point, never thought about it that way. Maybe better orientation for some users, but that's all. Keyboard fanatics like me find letters on a keyboard faster than in the alphabet =)

The only other reason I can think of is continuity, the search keyboard for the WDTV database has a querty layout if I'm not mistaken.

ciao,
elm
Well, in fact the on-screen search keyboard has an abcde layout. So, for continuity, this would be the way to go.
By the way. Wouldnt it be possible to use directly this search page layout?

July 29, 2009, 12:21:27 PM
Reply #22

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Well, in fact the on-screen search keyboard has an abcde layout. So, for continuity, this would be the way to go.
By the way. Wouldnt it be possible to use directly this search page layout?

Good to know. I'll stick with that for the start. Its partly possible to use the layout. There are some limitations on number of items of images etc. because we don't have complete freedom with each XML file at the moment.

ciao,
elm

July 30, 2009, 05:36:54 PM
Reply #23

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone has some input on a recommended directory structure. Currently I have something like this in mind / implemented:

* YouTube
          o Search
                + some keyword
          o Recently Featured
                + Today / This Week / This Month / All Time
          o Top Rated
          o Most Viewed
          o Categories
                + Film & Animation
                + Music
                + ...
                + Science & Technology
          o ?

I'm not sure how to structure the category view because there are endless possibilities, e.g. you could search a category or view the recently featured or top rated videos for this week or just today.

Any ideas / suggestions?

ciao,
elm

July 30, 2009, 11:27:44 PM
Reply #24

redindian

On the youtube 'channels' page they have categories: http://www.youtube.com/members
Or this page for all videos (no channels): http://www.youtube.com/browse?c=0
Per category they have 'most viewed', 'rated', etc.

So basically these categories:

# Autos & Vehicles
# Comedy
# Education
# Entertainment
# Film & Animation
# Gaming
# Howto & Style
# Music
# News & Politics
# People & Blogs
# Pets & Animals
# Science & Technology
# Sports
# Travel & Events

July 31, 2009, 11:08:03 AM
Reply #25

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
On the youtube 'channels' page they have categories: http://www.youtube.com/members
Or this page for all videos (no channels): http://www.youtube.com/browse?c=0
Per category they have 'most viewed', 'rated', etc.

So basically these categories:

# Autos & Vehicles
# Comedy
# Education
# Entertainment
# Film & Animation
# Gaming
# Howto & Style
# Music
# News & Politics
# People & Blogs
# Pets & Animals
# Science & Technology
# Sports
# Travel & Events

Yes, I've already the categories from their API: http://elmarweber.org/services/wdtube/list_categories.php
I think I'll stick just with the typical views per category as you posted for the beginning: Most Viewed, Recently Featured, etc.

Haven't though about channels or so. Aren't channels just playlist created by the users?

ciao,
elm

July 31, 2009, 01:09:46 PM
Reply #26

redindian

Yeah, channels are just playlists from certain users.

August 07, 2009, 07:16:09 AM
Reply #27

schmaWDTVecky

YouTube support would be great and if it works like the rest of you addons, we can expect great stuff. :)

What I'm missing in the proposal is support for user account stuff.
I.e. the stuff you get on the YT page when you're logged in: subscription updates, recommendations, friend activity.
For this, of course, one would need to provide the login credentials to your addon.

~alex

August 07, 2009, 05:28:07 PM
Reply #28

wdtv101

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone has some input on a recommended directory structure. Currently I have something like this in mind / implemented:

* YouTube
          o Search
                + some keyword
          o Recently Featured
          o Top Rated
          o Most Viewed
          o Categories
                + Film & Animation
                + Music
                + ...
                + Science & Technology
          o ?

I'm not sure how to structure the category view because there are endless possibilities, e.g. you could search a category or view the recently featured or top rated videos for this week or just today.

Any ideas / suggestions?

ciao,
elm

May be you can do it similar like the YouTube on iPhone interface

August 08, 2009, 06:03:39 AM
Reply #29

elmarweber

• WDTV Tools
What I'm missing in the proposal is support for user account stuff.
I.e. the stuff you get on the YT page when you're logged in: subscription updates, recommendations, friend activity.
For this, of course, one would need to provide the login credentials to your addon.

Its planned, although I haven't figured out yet how to do it in a secure and good way. The main problem here is that all requests to youtube go through a PHP proxy script. It's a bridge between the YouTube API and my YouTube addon. This is required because there is no YouTube API for C (the programming language this is programmed in) and to speed up the querying (e.g. about 20 HTTP queries are required to get a list of video files during browsing, this is very slow from your home WDTV, but no problem when you launch 20 parallel queries from a big ass web server).
PHP is not one of my primary programming language and I see it more as a necessary evil, therefore my proxy scripts probably have some vulnerabilities in them that could be used to get information like credentials when someone really wants to. And the communication from WDTV <-> Proxy <-> YouTube is not encrypted, so at any step the credentials could be spoofed.
There may also be problems with violating the YouTube API contract, not sure if it was YouTube, but a lot of other sites have a clause that prohibits storing and transmission from credentials to any third party service, kind of like the one the credit card companies have with they credit card number and security key.

So yes, when I have a plan how to do it in a secure way without passing the credentials through the proxy it can and will be integrated.

ciao,
elm