Author Topic: my passport drive wont turn off  (Read 4015 times)

January 25, 2009, 01:49:43 PM
Read 4015 times

reham

When im using my 160gb my passport with my wdtv, the my passport drive stays powered on even when i turn off the wdtv. Does anyone know if you can turn off the my passport drive without having to unplug the USB all the time? Im worried that if i leave it connected it will overheat.

January 25, 2009, 02:23:33 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
This is a common complaint with the WDTV.   It does not power down external drives.  The proper thing to do is to dismount the drive (button on the remote) then turn it off.   I just shut off my external without disconnecting it, but I have a AcomData 500gb drive.  You will have to experiment. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

March 21, 2009, 06:39:37 AM
Reply #2

Jarcy

which is a waste of power.

I have a WD "Essential" ITB HDD and seems crazy that it should sit running hot while the WDTV is in standby mode.

D'ya think its possible a future firmware update could resolve the issue ?

Hugh

March 21, 2009, 12:21:39 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I have my WDTV plugged into my receiver along with my HD. 
That way when I shut off my receiver they all turn off.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 02, 2009, 01:06:36 PM
Reply #4

maximo

When im using my 160gb my passport with my wdtv, the my passport drive stays powered on even when i turn off the wdtv. Does anyone know if you can turn off the my passport drive without having to unplug the USB all the time? Im worried that if i leave it connected it will overheat.

Turning off an usb hard drive seems to be an open issue for Linux systems: it depends on both operating system kernel and hd firmware. For example, my Ubuntu 8.10 PC has an usb hd connected to it and, in order to "switch it off" when I'm using the PC, I've to execute a shell command included in the sg3-utils external package; that's why, as far as I know, Ubuntu kernel doesn't have this feature. Unfortunately the same utility does not work with another Ubuntu PC with a different usb hd...
For the above I view two options: 1) to add such a feature into WDTV Linux kernel or 2) to add a sg3-utils-like package in the WDTV firmware.

April 03, 2009, 12:24:54 AM
Reply #5

eliasno

True ... that feature would be nice as I won t have to disconnect the usb cable from the WDTv everytime I am done with it ...

@ jayallan : I don t understand how it works for you, the paseport is plugged directly to the WDTV, so I don t see how it works for you ? ( I havent a receiver though)

April 03, 2009, 12:50:11 PM
Reply #6

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
My receiver has two switched out lets on the back so when it turns off they shut off whatever is connected to it.  That is my WDTV and my HD.   :)  It takes my CRT projector about 2 minutes to warm up so by then the HD is all re-read in and my WDTV is ready to play.