Author Topic: Tried to flash my WDTV with WDLXTV-0.4.2 & now locked up  (Read 38532 times)

April 19, 2009, 10:49:56 PM
Reply #30

Fredouye

WDTV #1 : WDLXTV 0.5.3.2 (Dropbear SSH, juliojs's OSD) + Arkview USB-G1000 + WD MyBook 1 Tb
WDTV #2 : WDLXTV 0.5.3.2 (Dropbear SSH, juliojs's OSD) + TRENDnet TU2-ET100 + 1 Gb USB key

NAS : Linksys NSLU2 (Unslung 6.10)

Network : D-Link DGS1005D Gigabit switch + 2x Netgear XAVB101 200 Mbps Powe

April 20, 2009, 05:48:04 AM
Reply #31

Tom

Goodmorning everyone. ( Amsterdam CET )
After an update with WDLXTV-0.5 also my box continues to show the WD logo. During boot there is no LED activity on the USB stick. All other mentioned solutions didn't work. (FAT32 , reset pin )
So I hope there will be a solution.

I have exactly same problem Tried with 3 different sticks - no luck. HELP!

April 20, 2009, 06:33:02 AM
Reply #32

andrew71

Goodmorning everyone. ( Amsterdam CET )
After an update with WDLXTV-0.5 also my box continues to show the WD logo. During boot there is no LED activity on the USB stick. All other mentioned solutions didn't work. (FAT32 , reset pin )
So I hope there will be a solution.

I have exactly same problem Tried with 3 different sticks - no luck. HELP!

Help me..I'm in the same situation locked on the initial screen and no activity on usb sticks. HELP  :-[

April 20, 2009, 08:23:47 AM
Reply #33

Nisei

The list keeps growing  :o
I'm getting my lan adapter later this week but I think I'll have to wait 'till this is solved before I'll flash my unit.
etx3-boot 0.9.2
Arkview Gigabit ethernet adapter
Qnap TS-119 NAS with NFS share

April 20, 2009, 09:10:34 AM
Reply #34

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
I'm getting my lan adapter later this week but I think I'll have to wait 'till this is solved before I'll flash my unit.

Theres been 3000+ downloads since 0.4.2 and <10 people stating this has frozen them. I doubt anyone is bricked, in order to flash a firmware that firmware is loaded by the wdtv and is what actually does the flashing. There must be a similar theme going on with all of you somehow to cause this...its not obvious to me however with the details that have been provided so far.

The only issue I've heard of that causes the wdtv to do something like this is when you have a device that comes with a hidden recovery partition that imitates a cd...cd-manager does not like that at all and freezes. I don't have access to any device like that to see about a workaround, the only solution is to remove the hidden partition completely.

Has anyone that has had this happen to them placed log-saver.app.bin and seen if any logs are created? Noones posted any here yet.

April 20, 2009, 09:37:48 AM
Reply #35

Vesof

Theres been 3000+ downloads since 0.4.2 and <10 people stating this has frozen them. I doubt anyone is bricked, in order to flash a firmware that firmware is loaded by the wdtv and is what actually does the flashing. There must be a similar theme going on with all of you somehow to cause this...its not obvious to me however with the details that have been provided so far.

The only issue I've heard of that causes the wdtv to do something like this is when you have a device that comes with a hidden recovery partition that imitates a cd...cd-manager does not like that at all and freezes. I don't have access to any device like that to see about a workaround, the only solution is to remove the hidden partition completely.

I've used three different sticks without a recovery partition.

Has anyone that has had this happen to them placed log-saver.app.bin and seen if any logs are created? Noones posted any here yet.

Because there wasn't one.

For me it doesn't matter - i've got my money back. For the moment i'm watching only.

April 20, 2009, 09:55:08 AM
Reply #36

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD

For me it doesn't matter - i've got my money back. For the moment i'm watching only.

so you're saying you downloaded log-saver.app.bin, placed it on the root of the device attached at boot and nothing happens? I just changed it to be the first init.d script thats run, in case it might have been somehow crashing during one of the init.d scripts.

April 20, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
Reply #37

Vesof

so you're saying you downloaded log-saver.app.bin, placed it on the root of the device attached at boot and nothing happens? I just changed it to be the first init.d script thats run, in case it might have been somehow crashing during one of the init.d scripts.

Sh** - i'm sorry. I just confound something.  I thought the log-saver.app.bon won't work, because there just nothing happening (beside the WD-screen). So - no, i haven't tried. And as i said, i'm not able to. I think it's better to keep out of this discussion.

April 20, 2009, 12:20:52 PM
Reply #38

tobayer

Hello to all,

I am new here and unfortunately I am having the same problem with a locked wdtv.
After an update to 1.02.06.WDLXTV-0.5 my box shows the WD logo and nothing else happens.

I copied the log-saver.app.bin from above to my stick and tried again.
Please find it attached.

What makes me headache:
Code: [Select]
Freeing unused kernel memory: 252k freed
Error -3 while decompressing!
90363488(1771)->96ab8000(4096)

I hope somebody can help me.

Which parameters I have to use to get a serial connection via CN4? Because I have cable but I don't get a connection to the wdtv.

Best regards,
ToBayer.

April 20, 2009, 12:40:12 PM
Reply #39

Tom

B-rad, let me first thank you for all yourk and effort. I don'ttink that this has anything to do with your fimware. One thing that I noticed during the upgrade, it go stuck at 23% for some time. I had log saver installed, but I reformatted USB drive. I managed to recover few files, please check if those make any sense. Once again, thank you

April 20, 2009, 01:49:35 PM
Reply #40

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Hello to all,

I am new here and unfortunately I am having the same problem with a locked wdtv.
After an update to 1.02.06.WDLXTV-0.5 my box shows the WD logo and nothing else happens.

I copied the log-saver.app.bin from above to my stick and tried again.
Please find it attached.

What makes me headache:
Freeing unused kernel memory: 252k freed
Error -3 while decompressing!
90363488(1771)->96ab8000(4096)

I hope somebody can help me.

Which parameters I have to use to get a serial connection via CN4? Because I have cable but I don't get a connection to the wdtv.

Best regards,
ToBayer.

Thank you very much for the logs, they are insightful and with more people posting them I should be able to figure out whats going on and fix you all up. I was positive that the wdtv was not bricked (because that is almost impossible) and that there was something simple going drastically wrong and your logs display that clearly.

the parameters are 8N1 & speed 115200

B-rad, let me first thank you for all yourk and effort. I don'ttink that this has anything to do with your fimware. One thing that I noticed during the upgrade, it go stuck at 23% for some time. I had log saver installed, but I reformatted USB drive. I managed to recover few files, please check if those make any sense. Once again, thank you

thanks tom :) I've had my upgrade process get stuck before like that too, power cycled it and started the flash over and things went fine.

There isn't much on the net about this error:
Jan  1 00:03:12 (none) user.warn kernel: nonzero read bulk status received: -EPROTOso I'm not too sure about it and I'll try and investigate it further...

<<<edit: ok this looks like it might be related to the network drivers as well somehow. Try the SUPPRESS_OTHERS trick down below. >>>

Jan  1 00:03:12 (none) user.err kernel: zd1211: failed rx_urb
this is clearly an error with drivers, have you tried booting with no app.bin's on any attached device?

Could you try placing this statement inside of your net.config, it disables all network drivers:
SUPPRESS_OTHERS='true'
I have a couple other ideas, but i'd like more logs from people...and i'd like to know if SUPPRESS_OTHERS does anything.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:57:10 PM by b-rad.cc »

April 20, 2009, 02:00:22 PM
Reply #41

Tom

this is clearly an error with drivers, have you tried booting with no app.bin's on any attached device?

Could you try placing this statement inside of your net.config, it disables all network drivers:
SUPPRESS_OTHERS='true'
I have a couple other ideas, but i'd like more logs from people...and i'd like to know if SUPPRESS_OTHERS does anything.

I have tried booting with .bin only, but my USB light stays off it doesn't even try to read the stick
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:23:07 PM by b-rad.cc »

April 20, 2009, 02:06:53 PM
Reply #42

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD

SUPPRESS_OTHERS='true'

I have tried booting with .bin only, but my USB light stays off it doesn't even try to read the stick

Have you tried booting with no devices attached and inserting it after 30s?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:23:35 PM by b-rad.cc »

April 20, 2009, 02:22:32 PM
Reply #43

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Strangest thing here...

I've had, as stated above, the initial-logo-freeze-issue. I tried everything I could possibly think of a gadzillion of times but no... and the all of a sudden, for no obvious reason it came back! I do not know why but it did. And it was fast as well, I've waited hours on earlier tests but it just started. Strange... I alomst do not dare to use the machine now...

...uhm...crazy is all i have to say ;D What did you have/nothave attached & on your device when it all of a sudden worked?

Good to hear either way :D

April 20, 2009, 10:54:32 PM
Reply #44

Spearmint Sugarfree

Strangest thing here...

I've had, as stated above, the initial-logo-freeze-issue. I tried everything I could possibly think of a gadzillion of times but no... and the all of a sudden, for no obvious reason it came back! I do not know why but it did. And it was fast as well, I've waited hours on earlier tests but it just started. Strange... I alomst do not dare to use the machine now...

...uhm...crazy is all i have to say ;D What did you have/nothave attached & on your device when it all of a sudden worked?

Good to hear either way :D

Thanks!

When it started working again I had a smartcard reader/usb-adapter with a clean version of 1.02.04 (possibly 1.02.05) in it. On the backside I had a network-dongle connected to the network. I believe I tried the same configuration without success earlier though but you never really know, desperation makes you somewhat less stringent in the testing...