Author Topic: Tried to flash my WDTV with WDLXTV-0.4.2 & now locked up  (Read 38513 times)

April 16, 2009, 10:52:44 PM
Reply #15

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
okay guys, exactly what firmware version did you flash with?

Theres been 2000+ downloads of the versions since 0.4.2, and so far 4 lock ups...I'd like to know if theres a common denominator. I've flashed a ton of times and have never seen anything like what you are describing.

April 16, 2009, 11:20:40 PM
Reply #16

rouroy

we are just stuck on the WD logo when booting the device,
whatever the firmware (official or not) I put on the USB drive (formatted of course), it didn't change, always WD logo,
hard reset button didn't change anything, it just stay stuck on the WD logo,

my problem appears when I was updating to WDLXTV-0.4.4

I hope my wdtv is not died  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

April 16, 2009, 11:26:42 PM
Reply #17

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
usually when it stays on the initial wd logo it indicates its in upgrade mode and is awaiting a device to come online to flash with. So, formatting a flash device to msdos fat16 and then placing a fresh wdtv.bin & wdtv.ver on the root of it and booting your wdtv with it as the only attached device doesn't do anything still? If not only a serial cable can tell you whats going on for sure.

April 17, 2009, 12:56:43 AM
Reply #18

Spearmint Sugarfree

Tried what you suggest b-rad, a fresh copy (and also a backuped copy) several times and with different "freshness" but still there is no change.

Edit: FW-version? 0.4.3 (not 100% sure but almost.)

April 17, 2009, 04:43:28 AM
Reply #19

rober1967

whatever the firmware (official or not) I put on the USB drive (formatted of course), it didn't change, always WD logo,

Locked me too. Freezed on the initial screen WD TV HD Media Player...

April 17, 2009, 07:51:40 AM
Reply #20

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD

Locked me too. Freezed on the initial screen WD TV HD Media Player...

:o ??? :o

I just downloaded 0.4.4.1 and flashed it 10x in a row, all 10x came back and booted fine....What the heck is going on I wonder? I'm drawing straws here...I always flash using the side slot, maybe I'll go another 10x using the back slot and see if I can get it stuck.

April 17, 2009, 08:12:20 AM
Reply #21

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
ok another 10 flashes using the backport and all is good...

The ONLY way I can get it to stick at the first WD screen is by telling the wdtv I want to upgrade and then yanking out the stick during the reboot. It stays at the WD screen repeating through the serial cable:
Code: [Select]
Detecting USB for available firmware...

So like I said, when its stuck there its most likely awaiting a firwmare...why its not picking it up your guys I don't know.

After that I insert a usb sd card reader I've got, with a 2GB fat16 MSDOS partition on it with freshly unzipped 0.4.4.1 insert it and within 10s it displays the following and starts the upgrade:

Mount APP firmware to /mnt/firmware..
Mount APP firmware ok..
Checking MD5...
Firmware is ok....
A new firmware has been found and loaded to memory.
Prepare to firmware upgrade...
/etc/hotplug/usb.agent: not found
config block header is new format. fine!

I've gone through every combination I can think of, upgrading with app.bin's & opt.bins on an attached devices and loaded...upgrading through a hub...upgrading with/without usb network connected...both slots...booting with no devices attached...everything works for me. I'm at a loss on what to say.

April 17, 2009, 11:30:05 AM
Reply #22

Pennhaven

Couldn't hurt for those experiencing this problem to try a different flash drive. Just because one worked before doesn't guarantee it will work all the time. I have used four different flash drives / card adapters with ext3. Three of them have worked consistently but one worked only sporadically. Also couldn't hurt to try switching USB ports. Could be something a simple as weak contact in one of the ports or flash drive plugs.

April 17, 2009, 11:42:04 AM
Reply #23

rober1967

ok another 10 flashes using the backport and all is good...

The ONLY way I can get it to stick at the first WD screen is by telling the wdtv I want to upgrade and then yanking out the stick during the reboot. It stays at the WD screen repeating through the serial cable:

So like I said, when its stuck there its most likely awaiting a firwmare...why its not picking it up your guys I don't know.

After that I insert a usb sd card reader I've got, with a 2GB fat16 MSDOS partition on it with freshly unzipped 0.4.4.1 insert it and within 10s it displays the following and starts the upgrade:

Mount APP firmware to /mnt/firmware..
Mount APP firmware ok..
Checking MD5...
Firmware is ok....
A new firmware has been found and loaded to memory.
Prepare to firmware upgrade...
/etc/hotplug/usb.agent: not found
config block header is new format. fine!

I've gone through every combination I can think of, upgrading with app.bin's & opt.bins on an attached devices and loaded...upgrading through a hub...upgrading with/without usb network connected...both slots...booting with no devices attached...everything works for me. I'm at a loss on what to say.

b-rad I've tried with official and unofficial FAT16 FAT32 the WD is locked on the initial screen. Is there a way to flash the firmware with a serial cable and a software (eventually if you could indicate the procedure we'll be gratefull..) ? Or is there another way to reset the firmware  ?
Thanks.

Roberto.

April 17, 2009, 01:19:25 PM
Reply #24

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD

---snip---

b-rad I've tried with official and unofficial FAT16 FAT32 the WD is locked on the initial screen. Is there a way to flash the firmware with a serial cable and a software (eventually if you could indicate the procedure we'll be gratefull..) ? Or is there another way to reset the firmware  ?
Thanks.

Roberto.

yes, if you got a serial cable its definitely possible to recover yourself. I use a nokia CA-42, they're all over ebay for cheap. I could try and make a guide on what you'd go about to fix it, but not soon and it would be very hard since there are so many theoritical variables at this point. If you do get a cable and have linux running somewhere I can also ssh into the box and connect to your wdtv via your serial cable myself, would be very beneficial for me to see firsthand whats gone on.

I'm going out of town for the weekend now, so I hope noone else has posted here about lockups by the time I get back :-\

April 17, 2009, 02:11:07 PM
Reply #25

rober1967

---snip---

Thanks.

Roberto.

yes, if you got a serial cable its definitely possible to recover yourself. I use a nokia CA-42, they're all over ebay for cheap. I could try and make a guide on what you'd go about to fix it, but not soon and it would be very hard since there are so many theoritical variables at this point. If you do get a cable and have linux running somewhere I can also ssh into the box and connect to your wdtv via your serial cable myself, would be very beneficial for me to see firsthand whats gone on.

I'm going out of town for the weekend now, so I hope noone else has posted here about lockups by the time I get back :-\

ok I'll go to buy a CA-42. I don't know nothing about this firmware but I think that is not needed flashing all the firmware with serial cable but also and more simple a  command(s) for resetting the firmware so that device require an usb drive with firmware. Like when you interrupt the firmware update process. I don't know if you understand my english is not very clean. Everyway thanks now I go to buy the cable.
Bye see you later and good week-end.

April 17, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
Reply #26

rouroy

thanks for your help b-rad.cc,

fortunately, I could exchange my device at the store, I will get the new one on monday  ;D
but if that appears again, a tutorial to plug the wdtv with the serial cable will be great !
does it work with an USB-serial adapter ? have you a picture of the serial port on the wdtv mainboard (I never open my device)

thanks again for you incredible great work b-rad

edit : I reply myself for the usb-serial cable http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php?id=wdtv_root_access
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:45:25 PM by rouroy »

April 17, 2009, 11:28:14 PM
Reply #27

Fredouye

From GuyWD on AVS : "If you have problems with a firmware update, you should always be able to power cycle your WDTV and connect a drive with firmware. It is not possible to brick your WDTV."

???
WDTV #1 : WDLXTV 0.5.3.2 (Dropbear SSH, juliojs's OSD) + Arkview USB-G1000 + WD MyBook 1 Tb
WDTV #2 : WDLXTV 0.5.3.2 (Dropbear SSH, juliojs's OSD) + TRENDnet TU2-ET100 + 1 Gb USB key

NAS : Linksys NSLU2 (Unslung 6.10)

Network : D-Link DGS1005D Gigabit switch + 2x Netgear XAVB101 200 Mbps Powe

April 19, 2009, 06:43:23 PM
Reply #28

pietstoek

Goodmorning everyone. ( Amsterdam CET )
After an update with WDLXTV-0.5 also my box continues to show the WD logo. During boot there is no LED activity on the USB stick. All other mentioned solutions didn't work. (FAT32 , reset pin )
So I hope there will be a solution.

April 19, 2009, 10:29:58 PM
Reply #29

Spearmint Sugarfree

Strangest thing here...

I've had, as stated above, the initial-logo-freeze-issue. I tried everything I could possibly think of a gadzillion of times but no... and the all of a sudden, for no obvious reason it came back! I do not know why but it did. And it was fast as well, I've waited hours on earlier tests but it just started. Strange... I alomst do not dare to use the machine now...