Author Topic: Tried to flash my WDTV with WDLXTV-0.4.2 & now locked up  (Read 38479 times)

April 07, 2009, 07:14:29 PM
Read 38479 times

280z

I have previously reflashed my WDTV with the official two firmware upgrades but I really want to use my LAN to access files on my PC drives (both internal and external drives) so I thought I would give WDLXTV a shot. I downloaded the zip file, unpacked then amd out them in the root directory of a 1 gig flash drive. After turning the WDTV on I got the "do you want to reflash...." or similar. I clicked yes and the unit went right to a WDTV logo screen and froze. After about 5 min I tried to turn the unit off, unpluged it and turned it back on. No change - still had the logo. I then tried hitting the reset botton on the side by the USB port but I still have no change - just a big logo in the middle of the screen. Is my unit toast? Can I recover it?

April 07, 2009, 08:22:15 PM
Reply #1

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
You're just stuck in upgrade mode. You can remove the drive with the firmware on it during the upgrade itself and you won't even brick your wdtv, I've done it ;) You get a scary warning screen telling you tshtf royally when you turn it on after, but its still all good. It is fairly hard to brick it unless you're mucking around and do something very stupid, but most people wouldn't ever figure out what that could even be.

Try and reformat your device to FAT16 and then put wdtv.bin & wdtv.ver on it. Give it time as well; the system has to detect the firmware, check it, boot it to make sure its valid/working, then upgrades the device after that. The upgrade process to wdlxtv will take a few min longer than an official update for those reasons.

April 08, 2009, 07:17:28 PM
Reply #2

280z

b-rad.cc - THANKS! That worked.  I first reformatted my usb flash drive to FAT16 as you suggested (it already was formatted in FAT but I did it anyway to clean things up).  I then put just wdtv.bin & wdtv.ver files on the newly formatted USB drive and started the re-flash over from a power down (by pulling the power plug since the unit would not respond to the remote commands).  Sure enough it re-flashed the WDTV unit to the WDLXTV firmware as easily as the WD corporate version.  I am not sure what went wrong the first time.  I suspect the problem may have been the fact that I unpacked the zip files on the flash drive. Although the wdtv.bin & wdtv.ver files were the only files in the root directory it is possible the other folders threw things off.  When I upgraded the firmware a few weeks back to the corporate WD code the reflash worked even though folders were on the usb flash drive.

So... now I have the "wood paneling" background, the new screen saver and the "about" page shows the WDLXTV version I am still not getting an IP address.  I am using a Rocketfish USB/Ethernet adaptor that is intended for the wii.  I am guessing that this may be my problem.  I will see if I can snag another USB/Ethernet converter to ss if that is the problem.

Question(s) - once I have a recognized connection with an ip address will I be able to keep an external USB hard drive (1.5TB) attached directly to the unit for playing HD files and keep another external drive (1.0TB) back at the PC for music and other less band width intensive files like .avi?  Will the drive that is attached directly to the WDTV unit be accessible via my home LAN and PC for file maintenance (sorting, deleting, etc).  I know it this a lot of questions but I am the test monkey for a few friends that also plan to try your upgrade.    PC setup is a DELL XPS running Vista, Netgear router and the Rocketfish adaptor (which may be changed).

April 11, 2009, 06:58:28 AM
Reply #3

Vesof

I've got the same problem - my player stucks while showing the WD HD TV Logo.

I've tried three different Sticks (128M, 1 GB and 2 GB) formatted with FAT. I've tried them also with an USB-Hub, and with different Firmware-Versions, changed wdtv.ver to higher versions like 1.03.

60 minutes are enough for the WD to find the firmware on the sticks, I think.

Nothing happened.

Any suggestions ?

April 11, 2009, 07:40:19 AM
Reply #4

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

in the wdtv.ver in the archive, it says this;
VERSION='1.02.03.WDLXTV-0.4.3.1'
LOCATION='wdtv.bin'

when in fact it must be changed to this to work properly;
VERSION='1.02.03_WDLXTV-0.4.3.2'
LOCATION='wdtv.bin'

notice the _ between the 3 and the W, in the one b-rad.cc posted it has a .
I'm sure it was an unintentional typo, but that is what I did as mine wouldn't detect it either.
as soon as I changed that, it worked right away.

Good Luck and please post back your results.

Cheers
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

April 11, 2009, 08:46:25 AM
Reply #5

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
Ok, so it looks probably at the same time I accidentally overwrote some wdlxtv files with dvdmod files I also changed the naming scheme of the version. >:(

depending on the version you are running you will need either:

VERSION='1.02.03_WDLXTV-0.4.3.2'         -- necessary with 0.4.3 & 0.4.3.1

OR

VERSION='1.02.03.WDLXTV-0.4.3.2'          --  necessary with versions earlier than wdlxtv-0.4.3

I am fixing this immediately so no change is required.

If you've already installed it like this on the next upgrade you'll have to manually change back the version to . instead of _

I didn't notice this because on my upgrade stick version always equals 1.11.XX

All should be good with 0.4.3.2+ now

http://rapidshare.com/files/220134312/1.02.03_B-RAD.CC_WDLXTV-0.4.3.2.zip

April 11, 2009, 12:58:02 PM
Reply #6

Vesof

I've tried both

1.11.03.WDLXTV-0.4.3.2 and
1.11.03_WDLXTV-0.4.3.2

nothing worked.  >:(

The only thing i'm seeing is the WD logo.  :'(

April 11, 2009, 01:22:23 PM
Reply #7

b-rad.cc

• Personal Text
    FW Hacker
    • B-RAD
download an official release and flash it, then try the process over & post if successfull (or not)

April 11, 2009, 01:59:16 PM
Reply #8

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

I went to the about screen and got the current firmware version from there, wrote it down, edited wdtv.ver incrementally and it picked it right up, I recommend you go to about and see what's there and edit yours accordingly.

seems there may be a couple of edits in the firmware... worth a shot anyway.

good luck
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=

April 12, 2009, 12:06:48 AM
Reply #9

Vesof

download an official release and flash it, then try the process over & post if successfull (or not)

Still no success.

I went to the about screen and got the current firmware version from there, wrote it down, edited wdtv.ver incrementally and it picked it right up, I recommend you go to about and see what's there and edit yours accordingly.

seems there may be a couple of edits in the firmware... worth a shot anyway.

I know, i know, but for this i need the possibility to see whats on the about-screen - and i'm far away from that.

We're having a barbecue now, and after some beers i'll think about whats doing next (cut it in tiny pieces, shoot it to the moon or something like this)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 12:13:52 AM by pynex »

April 15, 2009, 03:21:01 PM
Reply #10

bradel

Same here, after trying to upgrade from 0.4.3.2 to 0.4.4, my player stucks while showing the WD HD TV Logo

Formated the sticks in Fat, copied the original firmware 1.01.02 and nothing. The stick flash for one second and then nothing.

Just two days ago worked and now... I'm getting nervous.

April 16, 2009, 12:39:23 AM
Reply #11

Spearmint Sugarfree

Same issue here!
The wdlxtv workt for a day and then... just the logo with no chance of reflashing or resetting. Are our units gone?

April 16, 2009, 12:51:13 AM
Reply #12

rouroy

same issue for me, wdtv logo after flashing, wdtv seems locked,
is there no way to solved that ? please ??

April 16, 2009, 07:56:15 AM
Reply #13

Fishbowls

did you try a pin in the side button hole.  (reset button)??
end-users wiki http://wdtv.wetpaint.com
Custom Firmware wiki http://wiki.wdtv.org/doku.php
mediainfo http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net
start here http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.msg7613#ms
wdtv+ext3-boot-9.2+sabrent gbit adapter+
rss/weather+disco-webserver. this thing is cool eh.

April 16, 2009, 10:39:33 PM
Reply #14

Spearmint Sugarfree

did you try a pin in the side button hole.  (reset button)??

Yes! It does not help. This is really, really an issue. The player is totally dead.