Author Topic: MKV audio tracks  (Read 3889 times)

July 11, 2009, 01:35:59 PM
Read 3889 times

Molotov

Hi!

At the moment I'm considering buying the WDTV, due to the large amount of HD-movies I've got stashed away on my WD external drives. Most of these movies have the .mkv file extension, and the primary audio track is poor russian dub. However, I do have standalone audio tracks in english for most of these movies, but I'm in no hurry to start merging these audio files with the main movie, as Media Player Classic have been doing a decent job so far, connecting the audio and the video.

Therefore, my question is really simple; Do the WDTV recognize standalone audio tracks, and does it make them usable with the movie, as long as both the movie and the audio track are in the same folder?

Thanks in advance!

- Molotov

July 11, 2009, 06:58:02 PM
Reply #1

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
No.

Just remux them. It literally takes about two minutes. You can even make the new audio track the default (and/or remove the "poor" dub), which will make your life easier in the long run.
fw 1.02.10 | Western Digital MyBook 500GB | Transcend JetFlash V30 4GB | Composite out
Thumbnail help

July 12, 2009, 09:05:25 AM
Reply #2

Molotov

Fair enough.

I installed mkvtoolnix GUI today with some merging of the audio tracks in mind. Yet though, it seems that mkvtoolnix just ain't playing along when it comes to my files. No matter what I drop in the "input box" of the mkvmerger, I get the same error message: "File identification failed - Return code: -1".

Tell me how to solve this, and I will gladly "make my life easier in the long run", as you put it.

Best regards.

- Molotov

July 12, 2009, 10:34:46 AM
Reply #3

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
I just updated my MKVtoolnix, but I'm not getting errors. I also can't find much documentation on the error code. Is your OS non-English, or do you have non-unicode characters somewhere in your file path/name? I've seen programs fail less than gracefully in situations like that.

Can you provide MediaInfo on a sample file?
fw 1.02.10 | Western Digital MyBook 500GB | Transcend JetFlash V30 4GB | Composite out
Thumbnail help

July 12, 2009, 11:08:32 AM
Reply #4

Molotov

I see...

My OS is (as you say), non-English (it's norwegian, if that's what you mean). However, I do not believe there is any non-unicode characters in the file path or name. I've attached an image of the media-info, if I understood you correctly that is. Maybe this will help us identify the source of the problem.

- Molotov

July 12, 2009, 12:00:38 PM
Reply #5

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
For what it's worth, MediaInfo can output to a text file which you can paste here. That give more info than the screen output. For our purposes though, that looks fine. It doesn't look like the file path has any weird characters in it. If it's every file you try, it's probably something system wide like a path or filename, just not the storage path in this case.

I wouldn't think it likely, but it could be that MKVmerge doesn't like some Norwegian system filename or something, but frankly I'm stumped for ideas beyond that. It's too bad, my original statement was true, when it works, it would have taken about two minutes to get a much more useful file.

Sorry I can't offer more insight. Perhaps filing a bug report will help.
Thumbnail help

July 12, 2009, 01:18:38 PM
Reply #6

Molotov

Yay!

I finally got it to work using the non-unicode version of Mkvtoolnix. Now I can add and remove audio and subs as I want. However, I'm still not a hundred percent into this "muxing-stuff". Is there anything I need to know about the process? (Like; Is there any options I need to select to retain quality or something? (Though I guess that's a stupid question considering the fact that this is a muxing program rather than a converter)

Any help/walthrough on common issues would be greatly appreciated.

- Molotov

July 12, 2009, 03:29:18 PM
Reply #7

Scoops

• Personal Text
    Urban Shocker
I generally specify as much as I can about the streams, but that's mostly compulsion. Muxing is essentially just repackaging the existing streams (audio/video/text) in a new container, so you're not going to lose quality or anything.

If you specify a language tag for an an audio/sub track, I believe the WDTV now shows that language tag when you switch stuff while playing. That can be handy.
Thumbnail help

September 04, 2013, 02:33:19 AM
Reply #8

hopperdarrelly

i use a software called iDealshare VideoGo which helps me easily remove extra audio tracks from my MKV video file with multiple audio tracks and only keep one audio track with the video.

it even helps to complete remove the audio from video

hope it also helps for you

September 04, 2013, 04:55:20 AM
Reply #9

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
The WDTV shows the language tag from reading the flag, no need to also name it.