Author Topic: How I converted 154 episodes of Star Trek on DVD to my WDTV  (Read 27409 times)

April 06, 2009, 02:37:48 PM
Read 27409 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
One of the projects I have always wanted to do is convert all my TV show box sets to a media server.  With the WDTV that is now a reality. 

My first project is the complete Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series.  (Yes I am a geek) It is seven seasons of 24 episodes.  All an hour long. Each season is 7 DVDs.

Because the WDTV does not support DVD menus I wanted to save each episode as a separate file. 

I also wanted to keep the 5.1 surround and the quality had to be at least 90% as good as the DVD.

Here is how I did it.

Using DVDfab http://www.dvdfab.com/dvd-fab-platinum.htm I scanned each disk and identified the chapters that contained episodes. 

They are the 4 chapters that are 43 minutes long.   Then using VOB/passthrough I saved each episode as a single vob file.  IE DS9.So1Eo1.vob

Now I had 4 individual files that are full size, full rez episodes.   These will play on the WDTV and give you 100% the same quality as the original DVD.

These files however are 1.8 GB or so each!

So next I used Auto GK http://www.autogk.me.uk/   which is an amazing program and is FREE.   

I batch processed each vob into and XviD AVI file using the 700 MB setting.  In advanced settings I also selected the AUTO WIDTH and ORIGINAL AC3 AUDIO TYPE.

You can load dozens of files into the que and just let it run overnight or while you are at work. 

Many people put an hour show at 350 mb and are perfectly happy with the results. I prefer the 700 mb image quality as it is very very close to the original dvd. 

Give it a try.   :)

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 06, 2009, 05:59:58 PM
Reply #1

schlotz

• OneShotsphoto
Jay, looking at my dvdFab platinum in the dvd to dvd section I see full, Main, Split, Customize etc...  Where are you locating  vob/passthrough ?

Matt

April 06, 2009, 06:26:40 PM
Reply #2

schlotz

• OneShotsphoto
Ok, finally found it.  Will run a test to verify speed vs. saving to an iso file.   

Matt

April 07, 2009, 12:35:42 AM
Reply #3

Techflaws

• Tech Flaws - Things Can Only Get Better
Just in case you didn't know, you can also write a batch file for DVDFab which speeds up ripping the eps quite a bit.

April 07, 2009, 12:45:32 AM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks TechFlaws,

I was not happy with the de-interlacing that I got when converting with the DVDfab.  I found the quality was a lot better when making XviD files with the Auto GK.  That's why I ended up splitting it into two steps.  However, like any video conversion I suggest everybody compare for themselves as it is so subjective. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 07, 2009, 02:42:37 AM
Reply #5

3dxr

• Global Moderator

if you need speed conversion Xvid
if you need spare space and long time encoding isnt issue use x264 video codec or CoreAVC H264 + GPU acceleration

I backed up my home party DVD 1 rip was 4.3gb encoding time 7hours on 1x CPU 1.6ghz with Avidemux + low priority + working on
pc
fist attempt 2.2GB quatitizer =18 (avr)
second  780mb quantitizer  26 (avr)
third 1.3GB q = 22 avr (good quality AC3 sound)

Free: Mediacoder http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
Free: Avidemux - simple but with advanced options
Free: VirtualDubMod - only Win32 Avidemux is multiplatform successor
Commercial:Extra Video Converter - nice simple qui for begginers

April 07, 2009, 02:25:22 PM
Reply #6

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
    Be a RockStar in Your Life!
    • Become an Internet Marketing Consultant
Hey Jayallan quick question.

I used clonedvd to create the one VOB file and then tried to use autogk using the setting you mentioned. But after I put it in the que and pressed start, I left it running overnight and it wasnt finished still? no statues or progress bar? Did I miss a step? Thanks brother.

settings I used

" So next I used Auto GK http://www.autogk.me.uk/   

I batch processed each vob into and XviD AVI file using the 700 MB setting.  In advanced settings I also selected the AUTO WIDTH and ORIGINAL AC3 AUDIO TYPE."
Be a RockStar in Your Life,
& Make The World Your Stage!

Dr. Dan

http://OfflineRockStarAcademy.com

April 07, 2009, 03:07:59 PM
Reply #7

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
In AutoGK after you fill the right box with your tasks, hit start and you will see the Log Window giving you status updates as it works.   

Try one 1 hr VOB first by itself.   My Quad Core system takes 49 minutes to do a 46 minute show.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:56:45 PM by jayallan »

April 07, 2009, 05:19:31 PM
Reply #8

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
cool thanks brother. I will try that now.

Dr. Dan

April 07, 2009, 08:15:31 PM
Reply #9

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
I see the progress bar now. I didnt notice extra page until I looked on the bottom of the (I dont know what you call it?) button on bottom of screen? I was trying to convert a 109min movie "Sex Drive" and it was only at 48% after 2.5 hours. Theres gotta be a better way.

I have the following programs: (I am not an expert on these but know how to use them pretty good)

1 click dvd by LG (will just copy dvd or burn to drive)

CloneDVD Mobile by SlySoft (which will do everything from Divx/Xvid, VOB passthrough, mpeg4, etc. has alot of pre-sets for apple tv and ps3 etc too).

AnyDVD by Slysoft (Mainly just rips lossless to harddrive to multiple VOB files)

I also downloaded MergeVOB

MetaX

AutoGK

So I have no shortage of programs to chose from. Its just getting the right settings.

My main thing is I want forced subs, and 90% quality of dvd and close to 1 gig per a movie. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Dr. Dan

April 13, 2009, 10:37:08 AM
Reply #10

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
Thanks again Jayallan, I am now converting my dvd's to 1 VOB file using CloneDvd mobile and then using AutoGK to convert to Xvid at 700mb an hour and they turned out awesome! I appreciate the help and loving the WD even more now!

Quick question on the AutoGK: Do you set it according to how long the movie is yourself? or do you chose a setting that does it automatically like at 80% quality etc to reach the 700mb per an hour? right now I am figuring a movie that is 2 hours I just set it at 1.4gigs myself and wasnt sure if there was an easier way.

Dr. Dan

April 13, 2009, 12:28:39 PM
Reply #11

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
For TV shows I set it to a fixed 700mb (hour show) For movies I just set it to around 80% quality.   

April 13, 2009, 03:27:46 PM
Reply #12

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
cool thanks for that. I have been just guestamating 700MB per an hour movie but 80% sounds easier. Thanks brother.

Dr. Dan

April 22, 2009, 02:45:16 PM
Reply #13

uosjopop

Hi Jay
You are reading my mind! I just decided to do the same thing with my West Wing boxed set. I am on a Mac and am having trouble finding "easy" instructions for this somewhat newbie. I have MacTheRipper, Toast 9, and Handbrake but can not figure it all out. Can you guide me to any Mac compatible instructions? Thanks.

John

April 23, 2009, 05:36:05 PM
Reply #14

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hi,

I have no Mac experience.  I recommend starting a new thread for mac software tools.   

It would likely help out a lot of people.