Author Topic: How I converted 154 episodes of Star Trek on DVD to my WDTV  (Read 27423 times)

April 27, 2009, 10:39:16 PM
Reply #15

Chip

Just noticed this thread and thought I'd chime in with an easier alternative.  You only need two (completely free) programs: DVD Decrypter to rip the disc to your hard drive, and Handbrake to encode it.  Both programs are as simple as can be.  Handbrake supports Xvid or h.264 video and AAC, AC3 or MP3 audio in a variety of containers.  It will do multiple audio tracks (stereo downmix or 5.1), hard subs (forced or all), and it will keep chapter breaks in MKV files.  You can set encode quality by bitrate, quality %, or desired file size.

It's fast too.  I do 2-pass encodes of 90 min movies in about 30 min (xvid/mp3).

I've been ripping and encoding DVDs since it required half a dozen different programs to accomplish, and Handbrake is far and away the best program out there.

April 28, 2009, 01:13:58 AM
Reply #16

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks Chip,

I have Handbrake and I will have to revisit it.  I think I abandoned it because it was not able to determine the individual episodes in a tv multi show disk. 

I have been a HUGE fan of DVD Decrypter for years, however since they were shut down in 2005 it has not kept up with all the current copy protection schemes. 

DVDfab can decrypt any dvd and will also detect episodes (not chapters) on a dvd and has the ability to branch them out into separate VOBs. 

I will check out Handbrake again though as I may not be familiar with all its functions! 

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 28, 2009, 10:47:44 AM
Reply #17

Chip

Handbrake has undergone some significant improvements in the last year, so I would definitely recommend you give it another look.  In addition to chapters, it allows you to select individual "titles" for encoding.  TV episodes on DVD are always (at least in my experience) separate titles on the disc, so it is easy to encode an episode at a time.  I ripped the first 3 seasons of MASH this way and it worked great.

April 28, 2009, 11:15:02 AM
Reply #18

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Chip,

That's good to hear.  I will experiment with it tonight for sure.   Have you tried making MKVs with your standard def material?  Everyone seems to use XviD (including me) but since MKVs are a newer format and h.264 is a newer compression codec it seems the quality might be better at the same file size?  Damn, don't you love all these free tools!

:)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 28, 2009, 05:55:59 PM
Reply #19

Chip

Though the WDTV handles h.264 just fine, I still use an original (modded) Xbox to play back video on one of my TVs, and that doesn't do h.264.  I also have a couple portable devices that will do Xvid but struggle with h.264, so I keep using what works with everything  :)

April 29, 2009, 10:59:52 AM
Reply #20

buzzqw

• Mpeg4U
just a little advice, startrek ntsc versione are know for very bad decimation on combed frames...
i don't know if handbrake is able to handle correctly it..

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen developer
Source: PS3 , HTPC, WDTV
HTPC> Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black , Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (Nvidia mGPU 9400), Cpu: e8400@3ghz , Scythe Ninja Mini, Ram: 2*2gb@800mhz, Gpu: NVIDIA 9500GT, HD: WD 640gb, OS: Vista 32bit
Ampli: Yamaha 663 , Plasma: TX-P46G10

April 29, 2009, 11:28:11 AM
Reply #21

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hey Buzzqw,

I finished the Trek episodes in XviD via the AutoGK and you are right about the combed frames.  I think AutoGK was the best way.  I am now ripping my Rome Box Sets to my WDTV and I am using Handbrake to convert them into MKVs.  They are much better transfers (the dvds) so I think for these Handbrake is the way to go. 

April 29, 2009, 11:03:14 PM
Reply #22

buzzqw

• Mpeg4U
yep, good luck :)

i love live in PAL land (Italy).. no IVTC .. just deinterlcing :p

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen developer
Source: PS3 , HTPC, WDTV
HTPC> Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black , Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H (Nvidia mGPU 9400), Cpu: e8400@3ghz , Scythe Ninja Mini, Ram: 2*2gb@800mhz, Gpu: NVIDIA 9500GT, HD: WD 640gb, OS: Vista 32bit
Ampli: Yamaha 663 , Plasma: TX-P46G10

May 01, 2009, 02:23:30 PM
Reply #23

Chip

Handbrake does have a decomb filter that works wonderfully.  It slows down encoding to about half normal speed, but for older interlaced TV shows, it is well worth it.

November 16, 2009, 06:05:18 PM
Reply #24

netsrac

Hey it pays to search the threads, I have been looking for a free program to convert my dvd's.

I just downloaded HandBrake and it seems to work well on WDTV, but when I playback on my puter, about 1/2" of the left side of the screen plays on the right side.  Not too much of a bother as it plays well on my TV.

Now for those who use HandBrake, maybe you can help me with the settings.

I use the default for Film, and James Bond - For Your Eyes Only took 2 hrs

It looks great sounds great, the file size is 2 gig.

Is this the best setting, as I want AC3 5.1 or DTS depending on the movies, and I do not want to see artifacts on my 55" tv.

Thanks

November 16, 2009, 07:30:35 PM
Reply #25

twisty

Now for those who use HandBrake, maybe you can help me with the settings.

I use the default for Film, and James Bond - For Your Eyes Only took 2 hrs

It looks great sounds great, the file size is 2 gig.

Is this the best setting, as I want AC3 5.1 or DTS depending on the movies, and I do not want to see artifacts on my 55" tv.

G'day netsrac,

What version of handbrake are you using? 0.9.3 or svn2907 (pre release of 0.9.4).  The film preset gives you an mkv with x264 compression.  If you want best reproduction then use .iso or original mpeg2 in mkv with something like makemkv.  The files, of course, are 3 times bigger.

Depends on your storage and personal preferences.

Twisty
42" Sony & 32" Teac. Gigabit Network + NetComm NP210 Ethernet over power.  4TB WD ShareSpace NAS.  WDLXTV 0.5.8.1.  MSheet 2.1.1.
Noob WDTV Video Conversion Basics Tutorial http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=3314.0

November 17, 2009, 04:31:13 AM
Reply #26

netsrac

G'day netsrac,

What version of handbrake are you using? 0.9.3 or svn2907 (pre release of 0.9.4).  The film preset gives you an mkv with x264 compression.  If you want best reproduction then use .iso or original mpeg2 in mkv with something like makemkv.  The files, of course, are 3 times bigger.

Depends on your storage and personal preferences.

Twisty

Hi Twisty

I am using 0.9.3 of Handbrake

I personally do not want to go over 2 gig per film, as I do not have a 1080p tv yet and all my movies are regular DVD's

Sound is important as I have 3 tv's all with surround sound systems hooked up.

As long as I do not get any artifacts while watching these movies, I am fine.

I finally get to use the chapter function, never new what is was before as all my movies are avi files.

But I wish it would convert files faster.

I have over 500 DVD's and would take well over 1000hrs to convert them all

November 17, 2009, 11:14:07 AM
Reply #27

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
netscac,

x264 is a much more complex algorithm.  As such it takes longer to run its course.  The final result however is more efficient with space and has a very high quality.  Converting to XviD is a lot faster and the hit you take can either be on the quality side or the size side depending on your preferences. 

After extensive testing, I ended up going with XviD for all my SD sources as the quality is about the same.  I average about 700 megs for an hour show.  That's overkill but it is fast and it gives me the quality I want.  That includes AC3 pass through.  For most shows I also deinterlace, but again it is up to your display if this extra step is even necessary.  Your source is interlaced to begin with. 

If you think two hours is slow try converting a two hour Bluray to MKV!  It takes at least 8 hours (overnight) on my Quad Core running all four processors at full speed. ;)

November 17, 2009, 12:08:33 PM
Reply #28

netsrac

Hi jay

Well I just converted Chronicles of Riddick using x264, I will convert it again using Xvid tonight and see if there is any noticeable difference.

If video is good and I still get the ac3 surround then I am happy.

Funny I have one problem that I am sure other people are glad they do not.

The other day they had 50" or 60" lcd/plasma (not sure which) and a BluRay set up at a BestBuy.

They were playing Transformers (latest) and is was so clear that it did not look real (hard to explain), but depths were so clear (3D like) that I was actually getting motion sickness.  (hense I cannot play 1st shooter games)

So True HD 1080p, I don't think I will ever need.

Thanks

December 17, 2009, 01:04:02 PM
Reply #29

hmdm

Hi,

I have similar needs, lots of seasons I collected on DVD. For example, Friends, 10 seasons, 4 discs each with side A and B. I first copied the DVDs to HDD. Then I used Nero recode to shrink, and can fit about 12 episodes on a 8.5 GB size. Then I use mkvmerge gui to make mkv files from each episode vob file. Then I merge the mkv files into 1 big master file. I then create a custom xml chapter file and add it to the master mkv file. The mkv file can become quite large and initially WDTV can take some time to play the file, e.g. 30 - 60 seconds or more. But then it plays it, and custom chapters work. This way you have 1 album art and 1 file in your library instead of lots of individual files... unless using custom firmware...

I wish it was easy like mymovies plugin with media center... nice database application...