Author Topic: 1st post... DTS > AC3 conversion programs not working??  (Read 20858 times)

April 06, 2009, 02:37:44 PM
Read 20858 times

syncronized77

Hey guys,

This is my first post....I've tried 3 different programs, avidemux, popcorn mkv audio convertor and EZmkvDTStoAC3 and none of them seem to work?? I've made sure that all programs are pointing to the correct location of mkvtoolnix, mkvmerge, etc....so what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, WDTV media player is my 2nd best purchase ever! The first being my HD projector :)

April 06, 2009, 02:39:46 PM
Reply #1

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
What error are you getting?  Be specific as they work perfectly for most everyone here.
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 06, 2009, 03:23:11 PM
Reply #2

syncronized77

Hi,

That's just it, i'm not getting an error message, but after I try playing the 'apparantly' converted file, the audio still doesn't play. And i've tried all different options....keeping the dts track in tact...removing the dts track and downmixing to 2 channel stereo....am I missing something here?

What I'll do is so some screen shots of the various programs and the steps I'm taking, and if someone could point out my wrong doings that would be great

Thanks again!

E

April 06, 2009, 03:29:01 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
My guess is the tracks are fine.  You need to give us more info.

What type connection are you using for your audio?   Toslink or HDMI?  What type of receiver are you connected to etc...
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 06, 2009, 11:52:24 PM
Reply #4

Bazmondo

What error are you getting?  Be specific as they work perfectly for most everyone here.

Errr not so sure there mate.....

As this is my first post just like to say Hi and great forum. Got a WDTV a couple of days ago and at the moment its the best gadget I've ever purchased...I absolutley luuuuuurve it!!!!!!

I am new to the HD scene so still finding my feet with all the codecs and resolutions etc.

I have two films so far that have percect picture but no sound.  I have just spent the last two hours or so trying to convert the sound to ac3 using the ezmkvdttoac3 program.  Having real problems as the link to the program on this site only has the main program and doesnt include mkvtoolnix and eac3to files.  Obviously being a noob this was very confusing and it took me a while to find both these programs after working out that i had to set the destination directory for them both in the converter program. 

I have installed mkvtoolnix which is showing in program files, but when I installed the eac3 exe all that happened was a dos screen ran and then nothing.  I cant find it in program files so I tried to run the eac3 exe again which gave me an error message saying libaften.dll could not be found. I have googled for this .dll but have now given up as all too confusing.  Wierdly though I can see the libaften.dll in the eac3.rar file!!!

Starting to get the hump a bit as to why this is so confusing.  Surely whoever made ezmkvdttoac3 is a really clever bod so why not have the destination stuff automated for dumbo's like me......

Anyway like I said I love my WDTV and can't wait to get tinkering with it.  Once I get my sound conversion sorted next up will be thumbnails.....lol

Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Baz

April 07, 2009, 12:40:30 AM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Hey Baz!

Yeah I guess it is harder to set up than it looks   :o 

did you get eac3to here : http://www.mediafire.com/?3xortdbgszo ?

The other PCH Audio Converter is a bit easier to set up but it does set off alarms with some anti-virus software as it has a self extracting .exe  There is no virus though so

if you can get it working it may be a simpler solution. 

Make sure your output settings are correct in the WDTV too! 

If you are ably to use Toslink to a receiver that is ideal.

Barring that run stereo RCA out of the WDTV to your TV

Try setting your audio to stereo as well. 

Let us know how this all works and if you still have no sound I will walk you through the setup of

EZmkvDTStoAC3   :)

April 07, 2009, 02:19:31 AM
Reply #6

bumblebee

April 07, 2009, 04:42:54 AM
Reply #7

Bazmondo

Thanks Jay,

Yeah I got the link from another post you made last night but the link you have just posted here no longer works??

I will have a look at PCH converter now and see if i can get my head round that.  The EZmkvDTStoAC3  converter looks simple enough to use once its set up, which makes it more frustrating that i cant find the install path for the eac3 tool.

I have a sony dts decoder/amp with fibre optic cable in my attic that I havnt got round to setting up after moving house ( although it was nearly 4 years ago...lol) which I will use at some point, but looking for quick solution at the mo.  Is the optical lead a Toslink?

I didn't wamt to run the RCA leads as wouldn't I lose my HDness if I did that?

Cheers

Baz

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:54:09 AM by Bazmondo »

April 07, 2009, 05:49:50 AM
Reply #8

Bazmondo

Arrggghhh!

Finally manged to get the popcorn hour convertor  downloaded and the tutorial web page is not loading up!!!......Starting to think i'm jinxed on this one...!!!

Oh man how can coverting a file be this difficullt ive done it a thousand times before and never had problems like this....mmmmmm!!

Jay help me please?

Baz

April 07, 2009, 12:45:07 PM
Reply #9

Bazmondo

Hey I sussed it!!  Only took about 6 hours....lol

Please feel free to pm me if I can be any help on this topic but heres what I did ( or what I can remember as I think it was a bit of a fluke!)

1. Downloaded a EZmkvDTStoAC3  converter from a link somewhere on this site.
2. In order to use this program you need to download mkvtoolnix and eac3 which after a bit of digging you can find online ( sorry cant supply the links as don;t remebr where ventually got them from).

3. Just run the mkttolnix exe and that will install ok and install the eac3.exe.
4. When you start the EZmkvDTStoAC3 program just load up your mkv film and then in the file name box change it to whatever you want to call it ie. C:Quantum of Solice.mkv

5. In the first of the 3 boxes just browse to the mkvtoolsnix folder.
6. I couldnt find where the eac3 had installed on my pc so i just made a new file called it eac3to and plonked all the contents of the eac3to .rar file into it and then placed it in in my program files and browsed to this directory.
7.  I changed the bit rate to 448
8 Then you should be good to hit the convert button and just let it do its thing till its says " i think its done".

PLEASE NOTE: 
 When I first started to try and use this program it kept getting error message saying libaften.dll could not be found.  So I started to try and use the popcorn hour audio convertor as i had the right hump at this point.  When I downloaded the popcorn converter I couldnt work out how to use it (the web tutorial was down) but i did notice it installed all these libaften.ddl/folders or whatever they are.  This I think cured my issue using EZmkvDTStoAC3 so i went back to that and WHOLLA!!!!!...I did my first successful conversion...YES!!!

Like I said this could be a bit sketchy so please dont hassle me if  Ive got it all wrong but it worked for me.

Hope these helps someone...

Cheers

Baz
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:53:08 PM by Bazmondo »

April 07, 2009, 01:55:28 PM
Reply #10

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

April 11, 2009, 12:15:58 AM
Reply #11

ekass1

Hey Jay,

I'm new to this whole forum thing and its really good. Anyway I have been trying to convert my audio in my .mkv files from dts to AC3 but coulnt do it. I've got EZmkvDTStoAC3 and MKVtoolNIX but when i tried to install Eac3to it came up with a similar error to what happened to Baz where the program kept getting an error message saying libaften.dll could not be found. but then i tried it again and it worked but it was not installed onto my computer therefore i could not put it into the directory for Eac3to in the EZmkvDTStoAC3 program. So i was wondering if you could help me in anyway to do this as i do not have a digital opitcal cord for the audio as i'm using HDMI and some of my .mkv files do not play audio any help would be much appreciated. Thanx in advanced.

April 11, 2009, 01:19:34 AM
Reply #12

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Give the Popcorn Hour Audio Converter a try.  It is a bit easier to use and works well!

http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/Tutorial/

April 11, 2009, 08:17:43 AM
Reply #13

CapZap

Thanks, Jayallan.  This was a great find for me.  I downloaded MKVtoAC3 and the other utilities it requires and fixed two .mkv movies and they play beautifully with AC3.  This is the fix.

April 11, 2009, 01:51:16 PM
Reply #14

Bazmondo

Ekass.

If you read my post carefuly you will see i got to the same point as you when it came to installing eac3to.

You have to manually make a folder called eac3to put everything in it that was in the actual .rar you downloaded and then put the folder in program files.

You will then be able to find it in EZmkvDTStoAC3 when you try to browse for it.

Good luck