Author Topic: Bug v1.02.10 vob playback  (Read 4305 times)

June 27, 2009, 08:23:05 AM
Read 4305 times

dentek

it seems there are some issue with vob file play back(unless i am doing it wrong)
dvd vob fast forward and rewind are way out of wack
some times during playback the movie will just fast forward itself for a few seconds
with large vob files 4+gig the length of time the movie is reporting is off expl. 2h 20 min movie shows as only 53 mins but whole movies is there
i have had the same problem with iso's
thanks

June 29, 2009, 02:29:13 AM
Reply #1

Papalapa

I have had similar problems with firm 1.02.07 and .08, and after requesting support from WD, they told me that .VOB files aren't supported on WD TV ?

The solution that I found is to convert the .VOB files to an .ISO (I used CloneDVD2 to do this) and now playback, FF, REW is OK, and not more "black holes" appear during the playback.

July 01, 2009, 10:38:14 AM
Reply #2

dentek

i have also noticed that iso will fix this however i think in this case THE MATRIX dvd might be dvd9 dual layer thats making it fastforward it does it at the same point in the movie

July 01, 2009, 11:20:01 PM
Reply #3

Papalapa

Try to pass "FixVTS" to the .VOB ripped files in the hard disk (it's freeware). Also, try to use CloneDVD2 to convert and copy the .VOB files to ISO. This program "erases" the double-layer signal break when it copies the ISO file and in this way may be the problem will be solved.

July 02, 2009, 12:04:18 PM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Also,

Some movies, like The Matrix, have seamless branching which can also throw the timing off and cause other playback problems. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

July 05, 2009, 07:43:14 AM
Reply #5

dentek

ok that in mind whats the best program to use to put this movie on my wdtv wanted to leave it has vob but will convert if i can get same quallity i seem to read that everyone is using mkv files so whats the best program to use and has anyone had good luck with the matrix movie

July 06, 2009, 05:07:58 AM
Reply #6

stevoinoz

I too have had multiple problems playing large vob files ie timing out, not being able to fast forward past 4x, if you fast forward past the indicated time movie will restart etc etc.

After converting many movies for many days in heaps of converters and formats, I've come up with this workaround.

As vob aren't supported, my solution was to convert the dvd to another format. I wasn't too concerned about file size but I wanted to convert with the same quality as my vob files, and i wanted to do it rather quickly (as I was using dvdshrink to convert my dvd into 1 large vob in about 15 minutes give or take). I tried heaps of software converters and formats, the problems i had were in some instances although the file might have been smaller, i lost quality and most programs took hours to convert one movie, others were too damn hard to work out.

Now I know someone will have a better solution. but this is my solution, and its worked a treat for me. And its simple.

I have used a program call vob2mpg ver3 it's freeware. after using this i purchased the pro version for about 25 australian dollars. But anyway the freeware is fine. It converts the dvd disc in about the same time as dvdshrink (about 15 minutes give or take), the file size is the same as my vob and the quality is identical.

here's the link to the site: www.svcd2dvd.com/VOB2MPG/default.aspx

And yes they play perfectly on my wdtv.

PS: if the dvd you are trying to copy has copy protection, you will need to save to your hard drive with dvd shrink first (with no compression) then use vob2mpg.

Cheers after spending hours converting and trying different programs and formats this has been the easiest and simplest for me. So I hope this helps a few people out.

cheers steve
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:23:43 PM by stevoinoz »

July 16, 2009, 06:10:05 AM
Reply #7

vivek

I also have noticed two problems..
1) Diaglog volume of .VOB file is low, whereas music sound track volume is much higher.
2) Some MP3 (which were playing OK before 1.02.10) are are giving wavy effect (as if sound is coming out of water waves)

August 12, 2009, 06:20:10 AM
Reply #8

bz186

I have had the same problem with VOB files fast forwarding for a few seconds during playback. My question is since vob is very common for DVD's (finalized dvd), why would Western Digital not support this format? The Kodak share and Freeagent support VOB. I can live with the MOV format not being supported since there is a lossless freeware conversion software on sourceforge, but I cannot believe there is no VOB support. I may have to consider another media player like mvix. At least, I will be definitely getting a flash based camcorder next time since it is just mpeg2 with no vob.

January 14, 2010, 05:42:22 PM
Reply #9

Saint59