Author Topic: Homebrew Database (overview of all modifications)  (Read 146522 times)

June 22, 2009, 06:44:53 PM
Read 146522 times

reaverxai

With an expanding number of the modification files available for use with the WDTV, I thought I would start to try and index them, so here you are, a WDTV Custom Firmware Database, which I will try to keep as up to date as possible.

Note: I do not make any claims that these are completely up to date. I will try to keep this as updated as possible, but checking the source site is the easiest way to make sure you have the latest version.

WDTV Firmware Database

Ext3-boot
Version: 0.9.2
Download | Web
ext3-boot writes a modified boot manager to the WDTV. During bootup this will read the main (custom) firmware file from a connected memory stick or disk. As such, it doesn't have the memory limitations of permanently flashed firmware, and contains more add-on packages included in the release. You need to keep the storage with the firmware file permanently inserted in the WDTV though (to be confirmed - at least you need it inserted on every reboot). Most upgrades can be done by updating the firmware file on external storage, without needing to re-flash the WDTV.
Author: Zorander

DVDMOD
Version: 0.5.3.2
Download | Web
DVDMOD is a custom unofficial firmware for the Western Digital WDTV, which adds optical drive (cd/dvd drives) and extra filesystem support. I have remixed all official firmware releases and added cdrom support via cd-manager. Yes, this means you can boot with a usb dvd drive connected and play from it on your WDTV now.
Author: b-rad

WDLXTV
Version: 0.5.3.2
Download | Web
WDLXTV is a souped up unofficial firmware for the Western Digital WDTV. It is based off of the 1.02.07 firmware, but with many extra features. Similar to my dvdmod firmware, this is a permanent flash, just like an official upgrade. This firmware is an option for those whos hardware is stable with Zoranders ext3-boot, or those who don’t do much firmware programming to take advantage of ext3-boot.

osdMod
Version: 0.3
Download | Web
A small mod of the home and video menu. The home menu has changed the icons, positions and the sizes.
Author: juliojs

WDTV Applications Database
Currently 20 Applications

appletrailerfs.app.bin
Version: 0.3.1-beta
Download | Web
This FUSE based file system allows you to browse the Apple Trailers page (http://www.apple.com/trailers/) like a directory structure on your computer. appletrailerfs will be optimized for use with the Western Digital TV HD but does work with any FUSE OS.
Author: elmarweber

core-extras.app.bin
Version: 0.1
Download | Web
This pack contains the fsck_hfs for HFS/HFS+ users, modules to support XFS and ReiserFS filesystems, and several other filesystem binaries that didn’t fit in WDLXTV.

dropbear-ssh.app.bin
Download | Web
This app.bin pack provides the drivers necessary to access Ximeta’s proprietary NDAS device. A configuration file is provided to handle automagic mounting at boot.

eiri.app.bin
Download | Web
eiri is an improved alternative to irset. It allows you to send IR commands to the WDTV GUI from the command line, thus enabling third party applications like web pages or SSH to control the WDTV GUI.

event-osd.app.bin
Download | Web
Event-osd allows you to modify the OSD of the Western Digital TV HD on the fly when the user navigates through his media collection.

irset.app.bin
Version: 1.0
Download | Web
Receive & send ir commands from from console shell.
Author: pibos

LaurentG.app.bin
Version: 1.3
Download | Web
Provides multiple features: New video thumbmail views using ratio 3/4 instead of 2/3 for thumbmails + menus to choose the configuration, new view displaying the movie sheet previously generated for example with the softwares Movie GUI Builder or TViXiE, access to the network shares even when the media library is off.
Author: LaurentG

ndas.app.bin
Version: 0.3.1
Download | Web
This app.bin pack provides the drivers necessary to access Ximeta’s proprietary NDAS device. A configuration file is provided to handle automagic mounting at boot.

NLS-codepages.app.bin
Download | Web
This is a Netherlands/Dutch (NLS) codepage package for WDLXTV, that was assembled by Zorander for ext3-boot.
Author: b-rad/Zorander

samba.app.bin
Version: 0.2
Download | Web
This pack contains all the necessary binaries to enable SAMBA/CIFS network share mounting. This means you can now mount your Windows shared drives and watch them from your WDTV.

screen-dump.app.bin
Download | Web
This app.bin pack provides the ability to do screen grabs off your wdtv. The screen grabs can be taken while playing media, but only the osd overlays are output at this time. The main use of this app pack therefore is to grab screens of the OSD.

shoutcast.app.bin
Download | Web
This is a preview release for a shoutcast filesystem for the WDTV. It just contains an unsorted, unchecked, un-everything browse by genre function that for the most part works.

ThumbCache.app.bin
Download | Web
This is a small script, using folder.jpg in your usb device and display it as USB device preview.
Author: BMD_Online

TorrentTV.app.bin
Download | Web
TorrentTV allows you to start torrent downloads right from your WDTV
Author: ninja76

UPnP-djmount.app.bin
Download | Web
This app.bin pack provides the ability to do screen grabs off your wdtv. The screen grabs can be taken while playing media, but only the osd overlays are output at this time. The main use of this app pack therefore is to grab screens of the OSD.

webserver.app.bin
Version: 0.6.142
Download | Web
The Webserver App bin is an application that works with the WDTV box and adds web+php support. With this support, many other apps can be made using the powerful php engine.
Author: Disco

weecommand.app.bin
Version: Prototype 3
Download | Web
With Weecommand, your WDTV will be able to browse available file served from you preferred IRC server bots, and, simply pressing Enter on your remote, WDTV will request the download of the file. App.Event file: link
Author: Realtebo

WDTVExt.app.bin
Download | Web
This is an extension to dmaosd so that icons can be added programatically to the home crossbar menu. Unlimited number of icons can be added on the vertical bar(icon group) and horizontal bar.
Author: pibos

wireless-mod.app.bin
Download | Web
Allows limited support of wireless USB devices. For a complete list of compatible devices: link A tutorial of how to configure for your device: link
Author: Zorander

wireless-mod-rt.app.bin
Version: 1.0
Download | Web
Allows limited support of wireless USB devices. It contains compiled versions of all the final legacy software releases from link with drivers for rt61, rt2400, rt2500, rt2570, and the latest RT73 v1.1.0.2, RT2870USB v2.1.2.0 drivers from link
Author: smartP

wirelessmod-wdlxtv.app.bin
Download | Web
Allows limited support of wireless USB devices on the WDLXTV firmware. For a complete list of compatible devices: link A tutorial of how to configure for your device: link
Author: Zorander/b-rad

If you have anything you think needs to be added/changed, go ahead and share.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:44:32 AM by reaverxai »

June 22, 2009, 08:19:34 PM
Reply #1

airibis

Thanks for this post, really helped explain alot

I am still torn between Ext3-boot and WDLXTV (what would you recommend)

I would like to run the LaurentG app, and the shoutcast app seems pretty cool too; would both apps work on either firmware?

June 22, 2009, 09:21:40 PM
Reply #2

gsf600y

Brilliant post, just what was needed.  Needs to be a sticky

June 22, 2009, 11:29:57 PM
Reply #3

realtebo

Excellent work. Stick it !

just a note: weecommand is in version 'Prototype 3'

an other suggestion: It will be more usefull if you divide 'stand-alone' application, from 'dipendent' application: for example, like weather/rss addon which is depending from any webserver, and  appletrailerfs and weecommand, depending from event-osd

Also is mandatory to warn users for mod firmware compatiblity: LaurentG osd mod work only with wldxtv, weccomand works only with ext3
weecommand.app.bin
Browse and add IRC download via OSD
Prototype 3
Actually stopped

June 23, 2009, 12:41:00 AM
Reply #4

juliojs

• WDTV-osdMod
Yes, this post needs a sticky.

Please update this: the osdMod firmware version is on v0.3, this is correct, but osdMod app.bin version is on v0.4.0.5. It has the features of v0.3 and allows to view also the movie data before playing.
The osdMod web is: http://wdtv-osdmod.blogspot.com/

June 23, 2009, 01:18:12 AM
Reply #5

redindian

• True Font Family - Any font, any website, any browser
Excellent overview, deserves a sticky. There is also a lot of info in this overview:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1088.0

And you may add my RSS and Weather app as well if you like.

June 23, 2009, 01:53:07 AM
Reply #6

ferarias

• Mi Blog
Very very good job. Congratulations.
Deserves sticky, please.
WDTV + SMCWUSB-N + b-rad.cc's WDLXTV firmware

June 23, 2009, 07:08:02 AM
Reply #7

RoVeR

Thanks for this post, really helped explain alot

I am still torn between Ext3-boot and WDLXTV (what would you recommend)

I am like you... I dont know what should I choose? I have no experience in Linux  :'( so I hope you (everybody here in the forum) can show my how.

By the way, this is my first post in da forum... Hello everybody.

June 23, 2009, 08:36:05 AM
Reply #8

compostbak

missing one

Optware for WDTV

web : http://b-rad.cc/optware-for-wdtv
download http://rapidshare.com/files/207616110/opt.bin-0.2.zip

opt.bin-0.2

author b-rad.cc

v0.2

Provided an optware feed by the awesome people at nslu2-linux.org, I ported optware to provide the ipkg package manager system for us to use on the wdtv. This gives instant access to 1138 packages and turns the wdtv into a fully loaded machine. Most importantly it gives us instant access to extra tools to do even more to the little thing now.

This thread needs a sticky.
compostbak

June 23, 2009, 10:27:06 AM
Reply #9

mr_murder

you may want to do a quick check and correct your post as I noticed some have incorrect descriptions and/or authors, eg UPnP-djmount and TorrentTv, to name a few.

June 23, 2009, 11:52:44 AM
Reply #10

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Since I have went ahead and made this a sticky,

please try to keep it accurate and current!

:)
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

June 24, 2009, 04:02:47 AM
Reply #11

realtebo

torrent tv description is the same as shoutcastfs. please check
weecommand.app.bin
Prototype 3
Actually stopped

June 24, 2009, 05:59:34 AM
Reply #12

ferarias

• Mi Blog
Just in case somebody -able to read in Spanish- is interested, I have covered this information and several other data gathered here in an article in a blog: http://www.ariasmarques.com/2009/06/wdtv-un-mundo-en-movimiento/
I want to thank everybody for providing sooooo much information about the WDTV.
WDTV + SMCWUSB-N + b-rad.cc's WDLXTV firmware

June 24, 2009, 08:46:18 AM
Reply #13

El`Drako

Hi All.
Our community (Russia) is compiled firmware with different modes:

http://filekeeper.org/download/browser.php?path=eldrako

June 27, 2009, 04:49:12 AM
Reply #14

realtebo

torrent tv description is the same as shoutcastfs. please modify !

up, changing not done !
weecommand.app.bin
Prototype 3
Actually stopped