Author Topic: "holes" playing DVD files  (Read 1810 times)

June 21, 2009, 02:16:07 AM
Read 1810 times

Papalapa

I copied all the DVD files (.IFO, .BUP .VOB, etc..) from un unprotected DVD (without CSS encryptation) and while the film is playing in the WD TV, each time that it changes to another .VOB file a 1 second black screen is shown.

The drive is WD MyBook Essential 1GB and NTFS formatted. I use firm 1.02.08. Is there any solution? Should I convert the files to an .ISO image to avoid this problem?

Thanks a lot ;-)

June 21, 2009, 02:54:36 PM
Reply #1

mrbill

You could try and press PAUSE/PLAY instead of ENTER on your first VOB file.

I have all my movies as ISO and there is no pause between files in a movie.
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.

June 21, 2009, 11:35:42 PM
Reply #2

Papalapa

This was my firt try  ::). I always used PLAY instead of ENTER to start the film, but the problem remains. I started to fill my second 1T MyBook Essential drive and now I copy all the films in ISO format, but my first drive has already 230 films in .VOB format and I was looking a way to avoid convert the whole drive.

June 22, 2009, 01:11:12 PM
Reply #3

rlarson_mn

This was my firt try  ::). I always used PLAY instead of ENTER to start the film, but the problem remains. I started to fill my second 1T MyBook Essential drive and now I copy all the films in ISO format, but my first drive has already 230 films in .VOB format and I was looking a way to avoid convert the whole drive.

Use a free application called 'Join VOB Files Tool'. It will take all of the individual VOB files for a movie and combine them into a single file which can be played by just clicking on it with 'Play' not 'Enter'. No pause between VOBs any more. I have the same condition you have with your 1TB hard drive. I ended up converting all of my VOBs into single movie VOBs rather than redoing them all into ISO files. Worked for me.

June 23, 2009, 12:12:12 AM
Reply #4

Papalapa

Great!!!

I'll look for this program and start to convert my .VOB files. Thanks a lot!

June 23, 2009, 05:29:59 AM
Reply #5

rlarson_mn

Great!!!

I'll look for this program and start to convert my .VOB files. Thanks a lot!

Just make sure you try the new combined VOB that the sound is there with the movie. I have had a couple of times where the sound was lost and I had to keep all of the VOBs to play the movie correctly. That did not happen often but enough for me to test each and every combined VOB.

June 23, 2009, 12:59:54 PM
Reply #6

mrbill

Forgot about that.
Look for VOBmerge  2.5
I used to use it all the time.
Running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and no problems anywhere.

June 23, 2009, 06:18:55 PM
Reply #7

rlarson_mn

Forgot about that.
Look for VOBmerge  2.5
I used to use it all the time.

Tried this one first and worked ok but still left some of my combined VOBs without sound. The reason I recommended JoinVobFile is that in my testing its faster than VOBmerge 2.5 and both have the same issue with sound being lost in some combining. Both worked fine for me with just this single issue setting aside the amount of time they took to accomplish the process.