Author Topic: Blu-Ray ISO (M2TS) doesn't play smoothly and loses sound (all firmware versions)  (Read 2613 times)

June 19, 2009, 04:13:47 PM
Read 2613 times

the_invisible

When I play my unaltered Transporter 3 blu-ray ISO, it plays but randomly it loses sound and becomes very choppy. It may have to do with the M2TS file being too large? The file plays, it just around 2-3min into the movie it stutters.

July 22, 2009, 09:17:45 PM
Reply #1

DesiDude

I have come across the same issue, so far all I have found out is that this problem starts with large HD video files when the built-in cache of 128mb is almost all used up.  It works fine until there is at least 4~5mb is still left free.  The way I found out is through telnet to the box and use "free" command at the linux prompt.  I'm still searching for a fix to this too but nothing so far! :-(  No many even seem to know of this problem, let alone any solution to this.. I'm wondering if people even use WDTV for playing HD video (particularly in m2ts format as in blu-ray media).

July 25, 2009, 05:27:45 AM
Reply #2

erbipjr

Same with MKV large files. It is impossible to wath a movie. The sound disappear and the video slows. To return audio/video, I just stop the movie, wait few seconds and start it again. But this procedure have to be done several times during movie playing.
If the cause is due to less memory, why can I increase memory inside WDTV ?
NOTE: with small files it plays correct. Files over 8 GB the problem begins...

July 25, 2009, 05:55:07 AM
Reply #3

MrMod

This is known as the reference frames limitation of the player.  You can look at the number of ref frames using MediaInfo.  At 1920x1080 the WDTV can hold 4 ref frames in memory comfortably.  Sometimes 5 ref frames is smooth depending on whether subtitles are on or DTS is being passed to a receiver etc.  Basically anything that needs memory to perform its job will dictate if 4 or 5 ref frames are possible.  I like the telnet technique you describe for monitoring memory use.

There is no way to increase the memory of the WDTV since there isn't a memory slot on the circuit board.  The only way to fix is to recode the movie to use fewer ref frames.  Increasing ref frames has zero effect on quality but does make the file size smaller.  Personally I use only 1 ref frame (the default in x264.exe) to make the recode as fast as possible.  The file size is larger but I don't care as long as it plays smoothly.  Use CRF of 18 to 22 for best results.