Author Topic: Has WD Dropped the WDTV  (Read 1465 times)

August 29, 2016, 09:25:14 PM
Read 1465 times

pfmodel

If you look at wiki it claims all references to WDTV has been removed from the WD site. I also notice that its becoming very hard to buy this product. I hope WD is not dropping this product, because compared with most alternative products WDTV is by far the most flexible. I was hoping they would come out with a 4K version. Does anyone out their know what is going on?

August 30, 2016, 07:56:27 PM
Reply #1

mizkitty64

They gave up on the WDTV ages ago...I've got the SMP Live which I still use on a huge CRT in the basement for the kids.

YouTube was always a problem with the native app...but I was always able to "cast" straight from my Android device...or even Chrome...until a couple months ago.
Same with the "Send To" function in Windows 10...just get a black screen with the spinning logo on the WDTV.

It works great as a network media file browser...but without x265 (HEVC) support it's an antique now...

My "go to" these days is a generic Android TV box with x265 and VP9 support.

August 31, 2016, 10:46:57 PM
Reply #2

pfmodel

This is unfortunate, looks like its android for myself as well. I have a roku as well and last time I looked at this Google had disabled the server capability in the android OS, which means you can't copy files from a PC to a local drive off the android media server. This was a feature I really liked with the WDTV.

September 03, 2016, 12:39:11 PM
Reply #3

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Starting to look like it :(  I am primarily using a Minix H8 Plus now
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

September 13, 2016, 03:03:33 AM
Reply #4

pfmodel

Agreed. I am currently moving over to a MINIX NEO X8-H. Its using KOBI which is good and can read DLNA and UPnP off my MyCLOUD with no issues, but with all the standard metadata restrictions. Peformance is good, although it took me a while to get DTS pass-through working properly. It can read off a local USB drive, but unless you install additional software on it will not allow you to control and copy files to this drive from a PC on the network. On the other hand it reads my media off the MyCLOUD using smb and amazingly enough read the movies on the USB drives on my WDTV as well. If the performance is acceptable this is the way to go, as KOBI does a good job scaping the files and presenting the movies. I am consideing getting a 8TB WD MyCLOUD as a result.

But as normal, it took a lot of research to get it going the way I like.

September 14, 2016, 02:35:47 AM
Reply #5

Rev Drew

• DeSpammer

By KOBI, do you mean KODI (formerly XBMC)? If so, it can easily mount shares from a PC or other network device. I have it mounting a share on my NAS, I use automated programs so I don't even have to worry about downloading and transferring shows or movies, I just look in KODI for what's new.

Sickrage - TV
CouchPotato - Movies
LazyLibrarian - eBooks
Mylar - Comics
Headphones - Music

NZBGet does the downloading, and sorts and files it according to how I set it up.

I use an Android player myself, I mostly use KODI on it, also Mobdro, TerrariumTV and ShowBox, but not often as KODI does pretty much everything, truth be told, there is not much reason to D/L TV shows, movies, yes - if you want decent surround sound.
You laugh because Iím different, I laugh because youíre all the same.

namaste

www.supernews.com/super-special/?i=ZxJfObJynPQ=