Author Topic: Best Programmable Remote to use?  (Read 3935 times)

April 05, 2009, 01:42:51 PM
Read 3935 times

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I am going to pick up a new remote for my WDTV.   I have heard many say that Harmony Remotes are best.  Has anyone used these? 

What I would like to know is how easy are they to program, and so they retain all the original remotes functionality.   

I am willing to pay up to $200, but will pay less obviously if I don't need to spent that much. 
WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 05, 2009, 03:33:57 PM
Reply #1

jamerican

From what I've read they work great with the WDTV. Surpluscomputers.com has 3 models (refurbished) on sale. Check them out.
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/products/products.html?search=logitech+harmony+remotes&x=0&y=0;D

April 05, 2009, 03:46:27 PM
Reply #2

schlotz

• OneShotsphoto
I am going to pick up a new remote for my WDTV.   I have heard many say that Harmony Remotes are best.  Has anyone used these? 

What I would like to know is how easy are they to program, and so they retain all the original remotes functionality.   

I am willing to pay up to $200, but will pay less obviously if I don't need to spent that much. 

Currently using the Harmony 880 and it works flawlessly, even with the wdtv unit.  You don't have to really "program it".  It's wizzard based hooked up to your computer via USB and linked into their website. You only need to know your components model numbers and it basically does the rest.

April 05, 2009, 04:05:07 PM
Reply #3

ascherjim

Currently using the Harmony 880 and it works flawlessly, even with the wdtv unit.  You don't have to really "program it".  It's wizzard based hooked up to your computer via USB and linked into their website. You only need to know your components model numbers and it basically does the rest.

I have been using the excellent Harmony 720 remote for about a year now (which I bought from Costco).  On it I can have full control of six separate viewing "locations."  In my case that's been main residence basement DVD viewing, main residence bedroom DVD viewing, vacation cabin's main DVD viewing, vacation cabin's bedroom DVD viewing, main residence VCR viewing, and main residence bedroom VCR viewing.  Obviously, I could replace one of those "locations" with the Harmony controlling my WDTV (which I use for "mobile" music listening) but what would be the advantage over using the remote that comes with the WDTV unit itself?

April 05, 2009, 04:17:23 PM
Reply #4

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
Thanks guys I will check out that site and the 720 and 880.  I didn't know how the "wizards" worked so that is good to know too.

WDTV LIVE with current official FW > HDMI > DVDO > Sony CRT Projector 150" 16/9 screen.  Toslink audio to Yamaha DTS receiver. No Network set up yet.

April 05, 2009, 04:21:46 PM
Reply #5

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo

I have been using the excellent Harmony 720 remote ... but what would be the advantage over using the remote that comes with the WDTV unit itself?

The advantage is that people have reported that the range is much better on the Harmony remotes and the WDTV is way more responsive to it. 

My factory remote rarely works unless I very carefully aim it at my WDTV.  I would rather have something with a much wider dispersion range.

April 05, 2009, 06:51:41 PM
Reply #6

vman8126

I started with Harmony 659, up thru the 880 and now I use the Harmony One currently....Same as the others except its gloss black with a color touch panel .....I would  recommend you check that one out as well......Ergonomically I think its the best so far,especially with look and feel, albeit its at the top of your price range however......Range wise, they are all great, in fact, my wdtv is setup in the back of my room away from the main system,(behind it), its actually set up at my pc area for easier access to my ext hdd's ( I have a 25ft HDMI hidden and running to the main system), and I just point my harmony at the main system and the WDTV still works flawlessly without the Harmony being pointed at it....................
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:57:03 PM by vman8126 »

April 06, 2009, 10:51:00 PM
Reply #7

heiner.bremer

I own the Harmony 555 and it perfectly suits all my needs. The only drawback is the pain-in-the-ass-software that is delivered with the remote.
WDTV firmware 1.01.02, connected via HDMI (video) and Toslink (sound)

April 07, 2009, 11:26:54 AM
Reply #8

Well99

Getting custom buttons setup was the biggest draw from my Harmony 880.

I have everything working, and mapped the info key to the option function, and the guide to the home button... etc.  Its great for the WDTV with no issues for me after 3 months.

Also, it has great range, I can use it from as far away as I can get... meaning about 40 feet from the WDTV... and it bounces off of wall and connects that the normal remote wouldn't do.

They had the 880 refurb on Amazon for like $80.

April 07, 2009, 11:49:54 AM
Reply #9

jayallan

• Administrator

• Jay Allan Photo
I am looking at the 880 I think. I like its shape.  The fact that it is an older model suits me just fine as well.   

Are the buttons on the 880 rubber or plastic?  Is the software the same for all models?   

Thanks guys!

April 07, 2009, 12:07:44 PM
Reply #10

Well99

I am looking at the 880 I think. I like its shape.  The fact that it is an older model suits me just fine as well.   

Are the buttons on the 880 rubber or plastic?  Is the software the same for all models?   

Thanks guys!

I would say they are more plastic than rubber.  My wife took a while to get used to it when we swapped.  But its got a good feel and I really like the shape... sort of like the tivo remote.

April 07, 2009, 05:52:05 PM
Reply #11

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
    Be a RockStar in Your Life!
    • Become an Internet Marketing Consultant
After reading your comments on the Harmony remote I decided to go through my old boxes and fish out the Harmony 880 that I bought 2 years ago but never used because I didnt feel like playing with the set up wizard. I just tried to program it for the WD device and got it in the remote but cant figure out what setting to set it for. I dont like the wizard because it keep taking me to the VHS video setting. Damn the wizard!  >:( Can any of you give some simple steps to do this?  ??? I need them stupified... broken down easy.. Thanks...  ;)
Be a RockStar in Your Life,
& Make The World Your Stage!

Dr. Dan

http://OfflineRockStarAcademy.com

April 08, 2009, 04:59:16 AM
Reply #12

Well99

OK well I am not sure how well I can give step by step instructions... but Logitech support is also supposed to be really helpful with these things...

I just looked at the software and tried to recall my steps:

1) Add Activity
2) Manual Setup of activity
3) Watch DVD or Laserdisc
4) Watch my Videos (Media Center PC)
5) Then go the next step and select that you watch using the WDTV
6) Then select that you want to watch it on your TV...
7) Then select where audio settings go
8) Then select TV inputs
9) Then select audio inputs
10) Then check the settings

After this it shows as a button in your activities...  then I go in and look at the activity and customize buttons:

I set the standard buttons with:
Menu = WDTV Home
Exit = WDTV Back
Guide = WDTV Search
Info = WDTV Option

Then I check the Additional Buttons...

Those I moved and renamed then added the TV zoom feature to better deal with odd video size using the TV.

Not sure if that helps, but if you have trouble just send a note to Logitech or call.  The software is really stupid, its all online so they can access and adjust your settings from their end, and I have heard people really find it helpful.

** As a note it took me 2-3 tries of putting the remote back on the computer to get all my settings, make sure you have added all your devices to the system first, it seems to make the activity things easier **

April 08, 2009, 06:50:12 AM
Reply #13

schlotz

• OneShotsphoto
Bring up the harmony software and make sure its connected to their server
First - add the device (WDTV)
Second create an activity - Watch the WDTV (I renamed mine to "pick a movie")
- assuming for the moment you have already added all your equipment via the "add device" process
- it then asks you questions about how to turn certain devices on and set them so you can watch the wdtv, basically if you know how you do it manually with the appropriate remotes answering the questions is VERY easy
- Once complete you can go back into the activity just created and customize it by adding to the programmable buttons etc...

When you are done, hook up the remote via usb, then hit the button to dload to the remote.  ;D

I've used many different programmable remotes, this one is by far the best

Matt

April 08, 2009, 12:25:34 PM
Reply #14

RockStarInLife

• Personal Text
    Be a RockStar in Your Life!
    • Become an Internet Marketing Consultant
Awesome thanks guys! I am going to get on it today to get it working. I appreciate all the help.
Be a RockStar in Your Life,
& Make The World Your Stage!

Dr. Dan

http://OfflineRockStarAcademy.com